• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Air Impact

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
My CP 749 took a dump. I tried some other but really like it and its gearbox and speeds. I can replace it for 200. It there a better model with pinch mo poop in the same chassis size with the same layout?

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
Also, what oil to run in it. I did order a new part but i wanna be ready and should buy a new one and would have paid for itself long ago. 20220117_082748.jpg

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
We're pretty big IR titanium fans. I have one Sunex gun I got since it was like 70 bucks the other day on clearance though, also a composite gun.

Old Doug

We're pretty big IR titanium fans. I have one Sunex gun I got since it was like 70 bucks the other day on clearance though, also a composite gun.
I like the light weight of them but i have also think the old all aluminium are stronger after they have been used alot. I have owned CP impacts but i never liked them as well as IRs but thats just me.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Only new impact wrenches I've ever purchased have been I-R but that's only because of servicing dealer. I have a couple of CP wrenches that are plain worn out and parts are discontinued for repairs. One of those has a broken anvil.

I have one CP 1" extended anvil wrench purchased from a guy retiring and it made short work of removing track shoe bolts and haul truck lug nuts in the mines years ago.

Always been happy with the light weight of the 3/4" I-R composite impact, but I have to put seals in that one every two to three years as it likes to blow the grease out in the hammer case.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
I used a New HF one the other day to finish a job. It was maybe 140$ or so and man it really hits. The only thing I dont like is it has 3 forward and 3 in reverse. I like the CP fo9r green acre bolts, full reverse and adjustable forward. I am not sure about all the IR models, have another old one but the thing is Wild, not smooth and gradual and doesnt feather like the CP. CP is super smooth, can dial it right in for tightening, The IR sounds like that Nascar stuff.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
We have the IR's rebuilt, my 3/4 out of my truck is getting sloppy.

There's usually a tool or pneumatic place around that carries IR stuff that does repairs. Drop one off, swap to the last rebuilt one.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I ran an IR titanium 1/2” for a while. It was a beast but I couldn’t keep it together. I now mostly use my Milwaukee cordless and if I need to use air I run a snap-on in 1/2” and 3/4” and a cp something or other 1” gun.

Flat Thunder Channel

Back when I used pneumatics more regularly (my younger days roughly early 2000's) I bought a Husky branded professional series 1/2" impact. It packed a serious punch. The one it replaced would hardly do anything. Dad still has the old Husky Pro and I think he still uses it on occasion.

I don't have a air compressor large enough to make it worthwhile or I'd buy a new impact. My previous experience has taught me to avoid the low rent impacts. They might look the same on the outside, but they do are junk on the inside.

Last year I inherited a few old ones from my grandpa's shop. I might tinker with them and see if any of them will turn a bolt.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
For power and compact size the newer generation Snap On are the best, in my opinion. Price/value, not necessarily so much.
They are a little bigger, but the Aircats are good for the money, real good power especially as related to air consumption.
And there is always IR, though I have gotten somewhat disenchanted with them over time.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
I am not likely to have a gun rebuilt or even do it myself. I can get the same one new for 200. I fix stuff if its easy and cheap, I was looking for the anvil for this and the secretary came ouyt and said she ordered it,,, ha, so that settled that and its 1 part I am replacing. m I really didnt hyper inspect the rest, I hadnt got that far so it was 60$ for part and its already here. I cant recall what the manual says about oil in the case? How much of what? There was a rebuild kit, I dont recall the price this time but last I looked they were about as expensive as replacement.
Mine was working fine till it wasnt, not like it was losing its poop along the way. I was getting blurry looking at new ones and I like the feel of this gun and wasnt sure if they had more modern in same chassis with a little more gusto in reverse.
I really dont need a dealer, last time I did that it simply cost me another 100$ in price for absolutely nothing on this gun and another 2 for my big one,
I am less than impressed with dealers these days, seems what they are good for is excuse makers and got caught up in that again with a recent saw purchase. Should have saved 1/2 the cost and bought a sub premium brand and go0t 2 if it worked. We bought another saw from Menards,,,, nothing I dont actually like better about it than the Stihl.
So many products this way today,,, as I said, I got caught on the saw again and think I would learn from other items we went looking for alternatives to. If someone would have told me 20 years ago that I would be using a 30$ grinder and a 50$ battery drill for half our work I would have called them deluded.
I paid 150 for a 9.6 drill in 92 maybe and a couple yrs ago bought one for 50 at Walmart that is 2x the tool that old one ever was. Maybe more.

Last edited:

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
It usually doesn't cost much to have them rebuilt and several years of use again. Usually it's the impact hammers or anvils that fail but they are the working parts of the wrench and take the abuse. Much of these are so simply constructed it would be hard to pay someone to actually do this. Small electric motors are the same. Long ago lost track of the number of small tool armatures and rotors I've rewound on hand tools before cordless became so popular, powerful, and expendable. I have stuff purchased 45 plus years ago used that still functions better than new and is relied upon routinely. New is not always better, but that's not always the case either.

Just received a Milwaukee 18V cordless drywall screw driver for Christmas and have ordered a grease gun for it as will find that useful on my dozer. I do like the shared platform for batteries. I really don't have a lot of cordless tools but several air powered. Probably will till I die as I don't have to have the latest and greatest. Back in 1993 purchased my first Bosch cordless drill and still have it. The clutch made soft parts assembly on automobiles very easy and precise without breakage. When the batteries went bad, I replaced them, twice. Still have the tool with bad batteries again, (Ni-Cad) but closed the shop and no longer have a need. I now have several 14.4V, and 18V DeWalt and not one of them have a clutch worth a **** on them. None of the three work correctly and didn't very long after new.

The mechanics at the implement dealer have standardized on Milwaukee for their personal tools. I've used many and they seem to be good holding up well. Don't like the plastic and have replaced two bodies on impact wrenches for them after droppage action took them out. Didn't affect the tool in either instance but were very much a nuisance. Being fairly new, the parts are well supported. My older Milwaukee angle grinder, not at all for parts and it was new in 1983.

Old Doug

I started off with a cheap 1/2 impact it didnt have a name on it i dont think i ever oiled it . Then i found another in a junk truck i oiled it and used it 8 years . I also bought a 3/8 air ratchet not knowing much about air tools it opened my eyes but it wasnt till i worked with a older guy that i learned if at all possible use a air tool.