1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Air Filters on CAT 797 Trucks Question

Discussion in 'Other Earthmoving Equipment' started by Dayton3, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Dayton3

Dayton3 Active Member

Most large dump trucks of 200 tons capacity and over have four large air filters.

They look like headlights and are almost always positioned in two pairs on either side of the large radiator (which enhances their headlight look).

Except for the CAT 797 & 797B.

Both of these 360-400 ton capacity truck models had five air filters. All mounted above the radiator to the right of the cab.

Yet, new pictures of the 797F show a return to four filters mounted in two pairs on either side of the radiator.

What prompted the change from traditional filter placement with the 797 & 797B and what prompted a change back with the 797F

2. ben46a

ben46a Senior Member

Im not sure, Ill ask the engineer next time hes at the shop. Weve just finished our 203rd 797 assembly at our shop, plus 3 more of which are F prototypes.

3. alco

alco Senior Member

Where are the three new Fs going Ben? Are any more of our new Bs ready to go yet? Should be numbered 161 through 165.

Brian

4. ben46a

ben46a Senior Member

161 was already picked up on thursday, it was number 200, Ive got pictures of me standing by it in the shop. The three fs have been out for a while, 2 at suncor and one at albian if i remember right. have been out for some time, good trucks but the engines arent hammered out yet. Well, i dont think theylll be goin as far as 165, we only have 3 left to assemble and at least 2 are for aurora, with the 500 series ID numbers. Theres rumblings of more coming in october but no POs have been issued yet. Also heard rumblings of midlifes on Syncrudes 793 fleet instead of new trucks. Also on the B's it was easier to do the intake piping with the airbox up top.

5. alco

alco Senior Member

Sorry Ben, I misunderstood. I thought you meant there were three more F prototypes going together for someone. There are currently two at Albian, and one at Suncor. We were told that we had 6 Bs coming, but I guess as usual, they told us a lie. That must have included the 2 for Aurora. The rumblings about rebuilding the 793s have been going for a long time. Last we heard, they were going to ship them one by one to Red Deer and rebuild them. We were just told we picked up a cancelled order for 5 new 793Ds from somewhere, but who knows. Seems pointless to rebuild trucks that all have more than 100,000 hours on them to me, but then again, I don't think much like our management does.

Brian

6. ben46a

ben46a Senior Member

Yeah i hear you on the 100,000 hr midlifes. It just doesnt seem worth it on old frames with all the wear and tear and fatigue on them already. I would say the 6 does include the aurora trucks, sounds about right.

7. Gavin84w

Gavin84w Senior Member

Having them up the top vs down the front is because of the coupled 3512 engines in the 797 & 797B models, the 797F has a single 20 cylinder engine which has been the majority of the reason to going back to the front like the smaller older series trucks along with having a common look and feel for the new F series mining trucks whatever the model. There would also be some other technical aspects to it but that would be it for the most part.

Hey ben46a, what has become of the Aussies who went up there as part of the Cavpower deal?

Did you meet Povman and Gezza?

8. ben46a

ben46a Senior Member

Povman and Gezzo? Is thet there real name? I work with Spiro demou, Bart Jungfer, Kenny (last name escapes me), Ty emerson, Michael Gunther, as well as Philip bussbridge and dennis mcKay before they left. theres a few otheres as well just cant think of them at the moment. A few of them went home because finning did more or less screw them over, Others are sticking with it to see the countryside.

9. Gavin84w

Gavin84w Senior Member

Chris Povse and Jack Kemplan are there real names, they went over as part of the Cavpower deal, also Edgar Bautista a phillipino was there and all of them i know from Sydney.

10. ben46a

ben46a Senior Member

Can't say i met jack or chris, But Edgar was comical as hell! He left about 3 months after i got there because as i said, they kind of screwed them over. I really liked edgar to work with, always kept a light mood.

11. CAT793

CAT793 Well-Known Member

ben46a...........Did you ask Edgar about his last trip to the Phillipines??

Could only happen to Edgar

12. ben46a

ben46a Senior Member

Havent Talked to edgar in some time, since he left. But i may have heard the story.. He had some doosies!