• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Air Brakes & CDL ?

Cretebaby

Does anyone have a link to information about wether or not you need a CDL for a truck under 26k with air brakes

I have searched and can't seem to find anything that positively says that you do or do not, specificly when dealing with a truck under 26k

DOT officers i have talked to in the past said you don't need one but it would be nice to have in writing

td25c

I know what you mean Cretebaby.It depends on which Dot officer you talk to.If the truck has commercial plates,I mean anything other than a "farm plate" you need a CDL.DOT are also cracking down on farmers that do commercial hauling on the side.They are ok hauling from field to farm,or field to the elevater.But not from the elevater to another location.

HeyUvaVT

it is my understanding that you dont need a CDL with air brakes if you are under 26k...does everyone driving those rediculous F650 pickup conversions have one? I doubt it....

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
I agree

it is my understanding that you dont need a CDL with air brakes if you are under 26k...does everyone driving those rediculous F650 pickup conversions have one? I doubt it....

I agree with the requirement of air under 26,000. Even if you don't have air you have to have a medical card for over 10,001 pound. I got a ticket to prove it, I didn't have my medical card with me in my 550. Got it dismissed when I went to the court house.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Does anyone have a link to information about wether or not you need a CDL for a truck under 26k with air brakes
DOT officers i have talked to in the past said you don't need one but it would be nice to have in writing

The Federal CDL requirements are based on weight ratings. An under 26K GVW truck with air brakes does not require a CDL. 26,001 GVW with or without air brakes requires a minimum Class B license. If your 26,001 GVW and above truck has air brakes, an air brake endorsement is required. Those are the Fed's rules, your state may have more strict rules, contact your local DOT office for specific info on what you will need.

...does everyone driving those rediculous F650 pickup conversions have one?

LOL, I know what you mean. Seriously most of those trucks are classified as "recreational" and not covered by the CDL rules. Just like grandpa that never drove a truck in his life can cash in the pension, buy a Greyhound bus motorhome and hit the road without any training or CDL.:confused::rolleyes:

Raildudes dad

Last fall I bought Toyman's 87 Ford LTL9000 with the 25 ton lowboy trailer to haul my 1950 TD-6. It's strictly personal use. No commercial hauling, not for hire. I had a visit last week with the local Mi State Police Motor Carrier officer. He even checked with his supervisor. The only requirement I have to meet is have the CDL with airbrake endorsement. He said that's the good news. The bad news is even though I don't need a DOT number, fuel permit sticker, inspection sticker or my name on the door, I'll be told to go around back at every weigh station and probably will get stopped regularly for not having this stuff. Even though I don't need it, I'll have to prove it every time I'm stopped. The last thing is I need is a few tickets that I have to go to court with proof to get a judge to void the tickets.

His suggestion, get a DOT number (no cost), fuel permit sticker (no cost), get the truck inspected yearly (about $95), put my name on the door along with "Not For Hire" and I should roll right thru.

We had a discussion about the "recreational" vehicles similar size to mine that don't even require the CDL.

Cretebaby

Thanks for the replies

I think I have a handle on what needed as far as CDL'd vehicles

My question is for vehicles that are otherwise under CDL requirements

:usa

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
My question is for vehicles that are otherwise under CDL requirements

The rules have changed in the last year or so but here is what I think the requirements are:

10K-26K GVW trucks - commercially used

Federal Requirements:
DOT #
Federal Vehicle Inspection Sticker
DOT medical card for all drivers
Fire extinguisher, warning tri-angles

Of course the individual states have further requirements for taxes, fuel stickers, emissions, etc.

Big Country

No one knows the correct answers

Hey fellas new member Tulsa OK had a run in with HP the other day he gave me some info on the latest regs. The next day stopped by the tag agency for trailer tags. Found a Dot inspector in the parking lot asked him the same ? as the HP the day before he proceeds to give me a different answer yet. Called the local HP office and can you guess a different set of answers.:Banghead The biggest problem they can all right me a ticket on there version of the law.
You just can't win

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Welcome to the Forums Big Country!:drinkup

Yeah- it is very aggravating. Around here, the local cities have realized that a DOT officer (or shall we say he read the book:rolleyes::bash) on the staff increases the income to the local PD department. Why spend time pulling over a commuter and writing a $200 ticket, pull over the guy pulling a bobcat with a one-ton, you can get a grand or two out of him. The real kicker is the commercial vehicles are seldom voters within the city they get ticketed.:cool2

One of the smaller local cities has recently added a DOT officer. His pet peeve is the "post trip inspection". There is a section in the Fed manual that is not clear wether the post trip needs to be written or not (I have not read that section personally, this info is from a good friend of mine that runs 6 tri's in the area). Well this particular Barney Fife wants to see your written post trip inspection. Now why in the world would you need to bring your truck in at the end of the day, do a written post trip inspection, return the next morning perform your pre-trip written inspection and begin your day. The truck did not move between inspections :Banghead:pointhead:bash:rolleyes:.

I am all for safety and I often see rigs running down the road that need to be pulled over. But hassling someone over a burned out marker light or not having a written post trip inspection although you have your daily pre-trip is just harrassment.

Dountman

We have a 26,000GVW International 4300 and we have asked a few DOT troopers and they have all come with the same answer as you do not need a CDL with airbrake endorsement for the truck. So you can drive the truck with a Class D license, however if you are overweight, it will then require the driver to hold a CDL with air brakes.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
We have a 26,000GVW International 4300 and we have asked a few DOT troopers and they have all come with the same answer as you do not need a CDL with airbrake endorsement for the truck. So you can drive the truck with a Class D license, however if you are overweight, it will then require the driver to hold a CDL with air brakes.

Same goes for a trailer. You can have a Class D license pull a trailer registered for 9,990 lbs but if its overweight you'll need a Class A. I found that out, cop was good about it and just told me to make someone with an A drive it.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator

Same goes for a trailer. You can have a Class D license pull a trailer registered for 9,990 lbs but if its overweight you'll need a Class A. I found that out, cop was good about it and just told me to make someone with an A drive it.

So is the cop gonna wait and give the CDL driver a ticket for being over weight? Now that would be a good prank to pull on your favorite driver..:cool:

td25c

Well I tell ya what guy's.You better get a CDL license If you are hauling anything on a commercial truck or trailer in the US.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Well I tell ya what guy's.You better get a CDL license If you are hauling anything on a commercial truck or trailer in the US.

Why would you need a CDL to haul a plate tamp in the back of an F250 with commercial plates?:cool2

td25c

Why would you need a CDL to haul a plate tamp in the back of an F250 with commercial plates?:cool2

You dont need a cdl in an f250 pickup now.But you might in the future.Your pretty limited hauling with an f 250.Better get a cdl for the heavier equipment.

Cretebaby

????????????

Cretebaby

That is the way I have understood it to be also