1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ag Trailers

Discussion in 'Agricultural Equipment' started by Brandt, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Brandt

Brandt Well-Known Member

I'm looking at hauling fertilizer and DDG's within 5 states. Hopper bottoms can haul the most, but a lot of customers want a live bottom trailer. I'm not familiar with the different types of "belt" floors or "walking" floors. Is there one that is more suited to the powder consistency of DDG's ?? Will 11-52 pellets or Potash/Soda ash clog up a belt or walking floor trailer??

2. bam1968

bam1968 Senior Member

Excavating Contractor
    FWIW most of the DDG's in my area are hauled on belt trailers. The trailers with sloped sides and like a 3'-4' wide belt. They are mainly hauling wet DDG's. The dry are usually hauled with a hopper. I can't see why the belt trailers wouldn't work to haul fertilizer as well. I don't see alot of walking floor trailers around here.

3. Plebeian

Plebeian Well-Known Member

I wonder what the rules in 5 states will let you have for a trailer that complies with the rules of each.
    Wilson trailer (angled side model ) Appears some trailer brands have self powered hydraulics on trailer if you truck breaks down can use a backup truck with no hydraulics to still get trailer to an unload place.

Steerable rear axles in Europe used to save fuel , less trailer tire wear , reverse easier and get around tighter corners .
    VSE - reverse assist (saf, bpw etc do similar)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  4. Brandt

Brandt Well-Known Member

Yeap, I've seen them unload DDG. Will they handle fertilizer too?? It is a bit heavier and will it get into the moving parts and give me grief?? I like the idea of not having a wet kit on the truck.
    Steerable lifts have a tendency to bend things up when you back up, maybe Europe figured something out.