• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ag gear in New Zealand

funkinalive

Occupation
Student
Hey there HSV, back in 2008 we bought a claas ares tractor, had the nicest cab and easiest controls at the time. anyway last year we had a chance to try the xerion at a dealer show, they are really nice systems tractors that will do a lot of jobs. but as mentioned before the price tag is a major turn off unless you have the acrage to justify it. let us know how your testing with the xerion goes...

HSV127

Scary!

If I could take back a day this year it would be this one!

Was spreading fert in the rain, had run out of flat paddocks so did this hill paddock that wasn't too steep, went to do the last run and tractor said no! Scariest 10 seconds of my life!

Took us a day and a half to dig it out, took the shop 2 months and $180,000 to fix it. Mainly just the cab that was damaged running gear was fine.

DSC06220.jpgDSC06227.jpgDSC06232.jpgDSC06253.jpgDSC06264.jpg

hvy 1ton

If I could take back a day this year it would be this one!

Was spreading fert in the rain, had run out of flat paddocks so did this hill paddock that wasn't too steep, went to do the last run and tractor said no! Scariest 10 seconds of my life!

Took us a day and a half to dig it out, took the shop 2 months and $180,000 to fix it. Mainly just the cab that was damaged running gear was fine.

View attachment 86712

View attachment 86713

View attachment 86714

View attachment 86715

View attachment 86716

That does not look like a fun ride. The tractor held up pretty well, i hope you made out better though.

HSV127

Me and my brother were in there at the time, I had my seat belt on but there wasn't one for the passengers seat so he ended up on the other side of the cab sitting on the ground where the window should have been. Luckily the tractor came to a stop at that point! We got out ok just a couple of scratches could have been so much worse!

funkinalive

Occupation
Student
thank god nothing happend to you guys, were lucky it didnt start rolling cause it probobly wouldnt have stoped!!! i didnt know you guys purchased that xerion. i wish you better luck for the new year...

HSV127

Doing the clutch on the dirty old Belarus, bout spent I'd say!

Had no splitting rail so the Hiab was the next best thing, worked well.

IMG_0214.jpgIMG_0217.jpgIMG_0222.jpgIMG_0223.jpgIMG_0225.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Spectacular country side, thanks for sharing HSV127!:drinkup

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . I have to ask ... Why doesn't that steep plowed country wash? Like I mean it's being worked up and down, no contour banks, nothing and yet it looks absolutely fine.

Just curious as I wouldn't be game to put a plow into that country in a bloody fit.

Cheers.

Colorado Digger

Thanks for the fotos. too bad about the tractor. you guy's seem to fairly rough on them down there huh? i can't believe it cost that much to fix.
thanks again, cd

HSV127

Yair . . . I have to ask ... Why doesn't that steep plowed country wash? Like I mean it's being worked up and down, no contour banks, nothing and yet it looks absolutely fine.

Just curious as I wouldn't be game to put a plow into that country in a bloody fit.

Cheers.

Generally we don't have much trouble with cultivating the hills but as you can see the ground can scour pretty bad if it rains too heavy before the grass has taken, although this paddock was way worse than usual because of all the gullies we bulldozed in. It only washed back down to the original depth of the gullies, was a bit heart breaking to see all our hard work washed away though!

DSC01971.jpgDSC01982.jpgDSC02134.jpgDSC02137.jpgDSC02142.jpg

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . HSV127. Thanks for reply mate. It's a shame to see those gullys. Thar was exactly the scenario I envisaged when I posted the original comment.

With the amount of good gear you seem to have at your disposal have you considered doing a survey and establishing some contours and grassed flow paths?

I think there are any amount of studies showing it is cheaper than fixing blowouts

I'm not trying to be a smart arse but in my working life erosion control was always a high priority. I remember bloody nearly crying one morning when I saw a beautiful blacksoil paddock with twenty foot blowouts . . . and it stayed like thar for close on fifteen years untill the property changed hands.

All it takes is one storm at the wrong time.

Cheers.