• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ag gear in New Zealand

HSV127

Here's some of the gear we use on our farms.

The wheels on the front mower in pic #2 were added by me to stop the mower from being run over when mowing rough ground.

In pic #3, I made the scraper on the front and hooked the slurry tanker on to it with the theory being to drive along and suck up effluent, too much pipe friction ment it couldn't suck it up fast enough. It was worth a go though.

Equipment 040.jpgDSC03661.jpgDSC03739.jpgDSC01935.jpgDSC02093.jpg

dirty4fun

It is show and no tell, what a tease. Hope he comes clean so we know what happened to Clifford!

HSV127

Well we inherited the MX240 with a farm we bought a few years ago, the tractor was supposedly still under warranty and a couple of months after we got it it did a bearing in the transmission which cost around $25,000 to fix and didn't get covered by warranty!

After we got it back it lasted about 2 weeks and then snapped in half as shown! Took a few hours to get it jimmy'd up so it could get on the transporter to the dealer, they claimed that the 5 meter rotary hoe we were using on it was too big for the tractor and no warranty again, even though they had sold them new as a matched set to the previous owners! This time it cost $30,000 to fix and a couple of months wait for parts.

Talked to a contractor that had some of these and he said he'd snapped a couple in half as well, he also told me of another contractor that'd had one break in half on him, all this after the dealer said "never had that happen before" Yeah Right!

Anyway from then on we just called the MX Clifford "the big red dog" like the book hahaha

HSV127

That hillside pic is awesome.

Lotta nice looking equipment, HSV.

Thanks. It was just part of a 60ha paddock that we cultivated. It was rough as guts when we started. Had the D6H and EL300B in there sorting out the big gullies and I did about 600kms with the Challenger towing a 6m set of Rome discs.

Richardjw~

first class pics there, good to see the Fastracs hard at work

I think it was the earlier MXs that were prone to that sort of behaviour.......and usually further back (from what I have seen on the odd occassion, caused by a couple of dipsticks who were incapable of recovering the stuck tractor in a proper manner) which is why I am surprised to see it went where it did, however much better for that part to break where Cliffie did than across the range box.....that casting isn't too bad to change

icestationzebra

After we got it back it lasted about 2 weeks and then snapped in half as shown! Took a few hours to get it jimmy'd up so it could get on the transporter to the dealer, they claimed that the 5 meter rotary hoe we were using on it was too big for the tractor and no warranty again, even though they had sold them new as a matched set to the previous owners! This time it cost $30,000 to fix and a couple of months wait for parts.

From the picture it kind of looks like a casting flaw at the top of the crack. Or is that just some paint or oil that got transferred?

I was also just remembering that the very early Magnum 7100's had a weak spot where the lower 3pt arms connected with the rear casting. Apparently a couple farmers in south eastern USA snagged some tree roots, broke the rear housing, and dumped 45 gallons of oil on the ground! They created a new test fixture to test this scenario - an immovable object buried in the ground which they would impact with a ripper shank, installed in the center and offset.

When I worked for CaseIH I actually used one of the original Magnum 7100 mules as a hydraulic power supply to run some cycle tests. The old gal was pretty worn out and was finally scrapped when the cam shaft broke.

ISZ

Last edited:

HSV127

This is a Claas Xerion 3800VC that we had on trial, this thing is a beast! Runs a 380hp C9 Cat engine and 50kph fully variable ZF transmission.

Only problem was the $500,000 price tag:eek:

DSC03912.jpgDSC03924.jpgDSC03921.jpgDSC03962.jpgDSC03947.jpg

dirty4fun

Looks mighty good, the price seems way steep, though. Hope they have easy pay terms!

What is the tractor in the one picture that has the cab facing the three point hitch? That would be nice for a lot of applications, instead of going backwards. Just looks so bass ackwards to what we have here in the US.

HSV127

Looks mighty good, the price seems way steep, though. Hope they have easy pay terms!

What is the tractor in the one picture that has the cab facing the three point hitch? That would be nice for a lot of applications, instead of going backwards. Just looks so bass ackwards to what we have here in the US.

Hi dirty4fun, the tractor with the cab facing backwards is the same tractor, it takes about 30 seconds to hydraulically lift and turn it around.

The cab facing backwards allows you to do a whole lot of things like run a set of triple mowers or buck rake for stacking silage with an awesome view, also was handy when hooking up implements to see where the drawbar was.

dirty4fun

Thanks for the explaination. I have for a long time wanted to visit New Zealand, but maybe best if I do to not operate anything. You drive on the wrong side of the road and have a tractor cab that rotates.

Heck I would probably unplow a field or two till I got the hang of it all. I will pass the rotating cab to a few farmer friends. Would really be nice with a snow blower, and many implements.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, the country looks so pretty there!

hvy 1ton

Those Xerion's are pretty cool, but like you mentioned the sticker shock hits like a 10 ton hammer.

Hendrik

Ahh that's cute, I used to use one like this http://www.grizzly-engineering.com.au/index.aspx?page=2&productcat=23 , 50 foot, pulled it with a series 4 Steiger with 225HP but that was in light to medium soil and not going very deep. From memory that was only the second or third one they made and they came out to he farm to shoot a promo video and do a piece for the local farming newspaper.

Haddy

Occupation
earthmoving contractor
Hi HSV 127 You have some good photos there . Nothing like working up hill country . Back ground looks like just out of Taupo Haddy

HSV127

New arrival.

Here's some pictures of the Xerion I'm driving this season, gonna test it out on some serious hill country, should be interesting.

DSC05886.jpgDSC05937.jpgDSC05888.jpgDSC05864.jpgDSC05868.jpg