• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Aftermarket Starter

xkvator

has anybody bought one of these, from where?, and have you had good or bad results...?

hosspuller

I bought an aftermarket starter for my Deere 310c ... Works great, fits well mechanically, Price was better than Deere... Did have to reverse the solenoid connections. One gets what one pays for

lantraxco

In general they work fine, but may not live as long as the OEM. Typically around one third the cost or less so unless it's on something like an emergency generator, or near impossible to change out, I go that way. I use DBelectric, urquality electric, Rare electrical, etc. Never had a DOA or warranty, the one time I needed a replacement solenoid a year and a half later I got it quick and free, thanks for your business.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
No problems w/ aftermarket starters on this end..
Kubota starter replacement last week.. over $300.00 from Kubota.. $60.00 aftermarket..

xkvator

Update...after checking around on prices and reviews...I bought one from DB Electrical on their ebay site...they also sell direct, and on Amazon...cost was $97.41/free shipping/no tax...
a company called Crank N Charge has theirs with a Power Strike label on it for $163, and claim they tell the Chinese to put better parts in it, but im scepticle, so I went with DBE.
the starter has an extra stud on it...Ground?...but my ground strap is on the mounting bolt...and that stud poked a hole through the box, but no damage...
installed it this morning, and it turns that Cummins over fast...
I'm pleased so far...I'm working away, so I wont get to use it much...

Delmer

If the one you took off is OEM, then get it rebuilt and keep it for a spare. Even with chinese replacement parts, an original quality starter will usually outlast an all aftermarket starter.

Queenslander

Sometimes even OEM starters can disappoint you.
I replaced a 15yr Delco straight drive starter, on a Cummins truck motor, with a new Delco gear drive unit which only lasted three years.
We were pushed for time so I replaced it with another gear drive but had the old straight drive rebuilt for next time.
Seems the new models are considered a throw away item.