• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Aftermarket Seals vs. OEM?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Now I understand what you were getting at. Hmm, I have always just used my parts book. My Parts book only lists the 8J-1698 and 3G-2996 boom cylinder groups. And for the 3G2996, it only lists two serial numbers, neither of them mine. So theoretically I use a kit for 8J-1698.

However, I can understand on a machine this old that the CYL's could have been swapped out. And if I may ask, where is this seal catalog? It's a catalog I can buy? Are those seal kit numbers CAT part numbers?
All Part Numbers on that illustration are Cat Numbers.
Regarding the catalogue. See if you can find a copy of Cat Publication PEXP1020 anywhere on the net.

etd66ss

Regarding the catalogue. See if you can find a copy of Cat Publication PEXP1020 anywhere on the net.

My Google kung fu comes up empty. Other than websites in Chinese characters which I am afraid to click on as I am at work.

I went to Cat Publications website to try to find that catalog, or even any seals catalog, but I only get results if I type in a serial number prefix, and only get machine specific manuals.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
Holy cow that seal kit in the UK is nearly double that!!!! but from an aftermarket company a 5th of that price. Just goes to show how different markets work. We are currently in the process of overhauling a CAT 950M transmission and it is surprising how many parts have "made in China" embossed/written on them. I do agree with the really cheap stuff, stay well away from. also stay away from Turkish stuff especially cast parts, their tolerances seem to be measured in yards not thou

etd66ss

Holy cow that seal kit in the UK is nearly double that!!!! but from an aftermarket company a 5th of that price. Just goes to show how different markets work. We are currently in the process of overhauling a CAT 950M transmission and it is surprising how many parts have "made in China" embossed/written on them. I do agree with the really cheap stuff, stay well away from. also stay away from Turkish stuff especially cast parts, their tolerances seem to be measured in yards not thou

Are you saying the replacement parts have China stamped on them or the parts you are removing from the unit? I sometimes really hate globalization. It would be fine if the quality was the same everywhere, but it's nowhere close in most cases.

When I was a kid, Made in Taiwan, Mexico etc was a joke to us here in the USA. Now we're very happy to see that as opposed to Made in China. I know, Taiwan is technically China, but just seeing "Made in China" feels worse for some reason...

Last edited:

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
quite a few parts fitted to the machine as we are dismantling it to get to the transmission have it on, my fitter came round to tell me because he was surprised at how many had it on

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Cat has been manufacturing machines in China for many years. You will find almost every machine built in the last twenty years will have some part somewhere on the machine was built in China.

etd66ss

Cat has been manufacturing machines in China for many years. You will find almost every machine built in the last twenty years will have some part somewhere on the machine was built in China.

That sucks...

Found the same thing out on my 2013 GMC 3500HD, was dismayed how many OEM parts were made in China.

I guess CAT machines are not what they once were.

Nige

That sucks...

Found the same thing out on my 2013 GMC 3500HD, was dismayed how many OEM parts were made in China.

I guess CAT machines are not what they once were.
I have no idea why you should think that so long as the quality control works as it should. A large range of Cat electrical/electronic parts & hardware (and many other parts as well) have been manufactured outside the US for at least the last 20 years that I know of. Cat is no different to any other OEM in that regard.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
Nige, the problem is, especially in the states, that it was drilled into people that China and Chinese products are of poor quality. and they can't see through that most of us in the rest of the world can.

etd66ss

Nige, the problem is, especially in the states, that it was drilled into people that China and Chinese products are of poor quality. and they can't see through that most of us in the rest of the world can.

It's more that I have been burned by Chinese poor quality many times, personally and professionally, to the point that I don't want to touch the stuff if I have other (reasonable) options. I work as a mechanical design engineer in the Aerospace industry, and over the last 20 years have seen familiar product lines used in machine design drop in quality due to manufacturing being moved to China. Quality did not stay the same, not even close, no matter how many reassurances the vendors gave. Personally for my own projects and hobbies, it's a huge crap shoot that something bought online from China will have even decent usable quality. You just don't know until you receive and try to use the product whether or not it is a paper weight. And with globalization, it is quite hard ahead of time to know where stuff is coming from. Everything is "assembled in the USA with foreign and domestic components" or "Made in China to US manufacturer specifications". Some stuff seems decent/usable, and other stuff is just lighting money on fire.

boone

Got my seals in from HW today.

Interesting, one of the rod seal kits has a blue seal stamped with USA. The other is made by Corteco now owned by Freudenberg out of Germany. I know they make some OE automotive seals for BMW and Volkswagen. Don't know where these are made. But this particular kit says sourced from the US.

IMG_20200917_141145376.jpg

The buffer seal in the other kit is made by Wonyoung out of Korea. The cure dates on the bags are August of this year.

IMG_20200917_135940400.jpg

When I replaced my flasher relay on the 310, the old one made in 1997 was "Made in Germany". The new one I bought in 2020 at the dealer was identical with all the same part numbers written on the relay, except for the little white letters that said, "Made in China". Sign of the times.

skata

Got my seals in from HW today.

Interesting, one of the rod seal kits has a blue seal stamped with USA. The other is made by Corteco now owned by Freudenberg out of Germany. I know they make some OE automotive seals for BMW and Volkswagen. Don't know where these are made. But this particular kit says sourced from the US.

View attachment 224444

The buffer seal in the other kit is made by Wonyoung out of Korea. The cure dates on the bags are August of this year.

View attachment 224445

When I replaced my flasher relay on the 310, the old one made in 1997 was "Made in Germany". The new one I bought in 2020 at the dealer was identical with all the same part numbers written on the relay, except for the little white letters that said, "Made in China". Sign of the times.
I bet that China one won't last 23 years....

etd66ss

I bet that China one won't last 23 years....

It's most likely, no replacement you would buy these days will last 23 years no matter the country of manufacture. Globalization, on-time manufacturing, along with the acceptance of very poor quality by various markets, the quality of all products has suffered. Not to mention planned obsolescence. That's what sucks IMO.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Vertical integration has magnified all that as well!

etd66ss

So far I have not been able to find this seal catalog. I am in need of a CAT seal kit part number for the parking brakes on this 225, 8K-0177 Brake Group.

Nige

The catalogue is only for hydraulic cylinder seals and does not include components such as brake groups. Kits for non-hydraulic components (if available) are usually listed in the Parts Manual for the machine. The 8K-0177 Brake Gp is not one of them.
TBH it's not often that brake groups have seal kits listed.

etd66ss

The catalogue is only for hydraulic cylinder seals and does not include components such as brake groups. Kits for non-hydraulic components (if available) are usually listed in the Parts Manual for the machine. The 8K-0177 Brake Gp is not one of them.
TBH it's not often that brake groups have seal kits listed.

Good information, thank you.

chardengine

Occupation
Sales
Let me explain, what is OEM and Aftermarkets seals.
(Pardon me, as I am in the seals industry for years, let me share my experience)
Lots of people say our is OEM, which refers to Original Manufacturers.
But for Cat machines, there is no OEM, yes some items do have.
Cat makes seal themselves, especially all the newest models. You can never get it from outside, so it makes aftermarket a rather end user’s choice cause its much cheaper.
But what about its quality? Depends on whom you purchase it from.