• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

aftermarket muffler and source for caterpillar d6d dozer 4x and other muffler tech

planetshapers

i have a caterpillar d6d dozer. 4x serial number machine.

i need a new muffler.

does anyone have a parts book that has the proper part number for the proper muffler?

where is a good online source for aftermarket mufflers?

i see a few on ebay but the picture does not match what my muffler looks like.

i used to buy aftermarket mufflers from heavyquip and ironpeddlers. i did not like the finish on them and they didn't seem to last as long as the caterpillar mufflers.

i do remember that donaldson made mufflers for a lot of oem sources.

another problem i have is that i HATE using a rain cap system on the exhaust. limbs break it. then i end up putting a metal coffee can over the exhaust at the end of each day. the dang things rattle too.

why can't i find the mufflers that had the piece welded or bent on the end turning the exhaust out to the side? the cat dealer said there replacement muffler for this dozer now is just a straight muffler and will need a raincap! years ago...cat sold the proper muffler with the offset tip.

if i buy a straight up muffler and order a napa exhaust piece and weld it on it...then i lose the baked on heat treatment paint.

any tech tips and ideas?

thanks guys.

Iowan

I ordered a donaldson muffler offline for my machine with 3inch inlet and outlet 10inches around for my machine and it worked great seemed to me like it would fit on the 6c i ran the other day. It came with black paint that hasn't burnt off in 200 or so hrs. My machine isn't turbo charged so that will make a difference in how much heat the muffler has to take though could be why its not cooked off yet...

Iowan

It also had ends that you could easily stick a chrome 90 on and clamp it into place on the outlet end with a stainless clamp and eliminate the coffee can dilemma.. mine had a 3 inch straight pipe that i just cut off about 6 inches from manifold then clamped muffler on and cut the leftover section down and put it in the top of the muffler so I still gota use the trusty coffee can...

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
American Crane & Tractor or Custom Trucks both are located in Kansas City, MO and supply / have the muffler you need.
i have a caterpillar d6d dozer. 4x serial number machine.

i need a new muffler.

does anyone have a parts book that has the proper part number for the proper muffler?

where is a good online source for aftermarket mufflers?

i see a few on ebay but the picture does not match what my muffler looks like.

i used to buy aftermarket mufflers from heavyquip and ironpeddlers. i did not like the finish on them and they didn't seem to last as long as the caterpillar mufflers.

i do remember that donaldson made mufflers for a lot of oem sources.

another problem i have is that i HATE using a rain cap system on the exhaust. limbs break it. then i end up putting a metal coffee can over the exhaust at the end of each day. the dang things rattle too.

why can't i find the mufflers that had the piece welded or bent on the end turning the exhaust out to the side? the cat dealer said there replacement muffler for this dozer now is just a straight muffler and will need a raincap! years ago...cat sold the proper muffler with the offset tip.

if i buy a straight up muffler and order a napa exhaust piece and weld it on it...then i lose the baked on heat treatment paint.

any tech tips and ideas?

thanks guys.