• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

After work, hobbies & life after the logs are loaded!

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Jim Sr. Still holds numerous NHRA records. Hard to believe that he has been gone 10 years already.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
We had a 66 when I was a kid. Hi-po 289 with a 4 speed. It was turquoise with 68 GT wheels.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
The Fairlanes look good.I had a 64 in the 90's that I put a 351W in.Sold it to my friend with a SCJ Mustang and lost track of it....I know the Van Cleve name well.

This is my other Mustang.Its a 68 and I have owned it since I graduated in 1977.Just putting it back together now after a long time on my rotisserie.Car was my daily driver when I was younger.
Has been powered by a 1965 427 since 1988,been a 4spd since 1979.I don't plan on doing this again so I purchased everything I could NOS and didn't spare the cost.mustangs 001.JPG mustangs 002.JPG the 68 006 (6).JPG the 68 008 (3).JPG

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Damn,
That is a very nice build!
The black & gold is my favorite color combo. My ex GF has a 67 fastback that was her first car.
Jim Jr has a 68 GT 350 that he drove to school and it is black & gold also. I remember hearing it wind to the moon on launch & at shift. Come to find out after I was in my teens that they built a destroker that would wind over 10,000 RPM. I guess having Jim Sr as your dad had it's perks!

diamondtguy

Occupation
Altho I haven't done it much lately I do enjoy getting on my dirt bike and getting into the Mountains.I find it to be a nice escape from everything.I haven't ridden much since my accident but I am not ready to sell them.Maybe this summer I will log some seat time..
I have a Suzuki DRZ 400 that has a plate on it.I sometimes commute on it or just go for a ride.Out in the country here you can ride for an hour with no traffic lights.The mountains are only 10 min away.
I bought the KTM just before my accident (2013) it has a wopping 6hrs on it.No where near the power my Yamaha 4 stroke had but it sure is lighter.
Mary quite often comes with on the Mountain rides.I built her a bike for the trails as she is not very big.I have some practice obsticals on the property for her to practice on and for blowing off steam from time to time.
A nice break from the shop,work and yard work....2013 ktm200 (2).JPG 2004 drz400 (2).JPG april09 00001 (2).JPG misc 00009 (2).JPG

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I sure miss riding. I sold my KTM 525sx and KX 450f after my 5th knee surgery.
I just ride a streetglide now.

diamondtguy

Occupation
I have been lucky and never really had any long term injurys from riding.I crashed my big Honda 600 20 years ago in the Chilcotin Valley.Broke my right collar bone and my right arm then had to ride 3 hrs to get out.Made it to the Gang Ranch and they rescued me .Was almost 2 days before I got home..
I built a Harley in the late 90's(just to see if I could) and enjoyed bombing around on it.Hwy riding scares the crap out of me so I avoid it.The Harley is long gone.Dirt biking can take its toll on you that's for sure but I am willing to give it another try.
Most of my friends all ride Harleys now.Including all the guys I dirt biked with.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I have broken my collarbone twice, my leg in three different places, both ankles, seven ribs and numerous knee and Ankle injuries due to Motocross and Enduro riding.

It's all the other people on the road that make it dangerous. I still think street riding is more dangerous than dirt.

diamondtguy

Occupation
I can relate.I have never broken a leg or had knee injurys but I have had a total of 22 broken bones (ribs included).I had 9 broken bones in my last truck accident and came home from the hospital in a body brace.
I stayed away from Motocross racing.Things can go wrong very fast.I have always preferred the challenge of the terrain over the challenge of a faster rider.
I agree with your last comment..

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I have broken my collarbone twice, my leg in three different places, both ankles, seven ribs and numerous knee and Ankle injuries due to Motocross and Enduro riding.

It's all the other people on the road that make it dangerous. I still think street riding is more dangerous than dirt.

I still have my old 1990 XR 600 with the 628 kit in it in the shed. Every once in a while I get the urge to go play. My cam is worn and it starts hard now. Need to look for one. While racing Cross Country, Hare Scrambles, and Enduros on the west half of the U.S. (never a pro, decent B rider at best) for 12 years I also broke my share of bones. Funny thing is, the ones I broke feel good at 65. The ones that survived as originals are full of arthritis. Regrowth must be good for the bones too. I still ride on the street, have been since my first bike at 14.

Last edited:

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Ha. We could start a broken bones thread.
Hip replacement twice. 29 years apart
Broken right wrist twice.
Right ankle broken and later fused.
Broken pelvis.
All motorcycle and snowmobiles. Still ride both. Remember “god hates a quitter “

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Ha. We could start a broken bones thread.
Hip replacement twice. 29 years apart
Broken right wrist twice.
Right ankle broken and later fused.
Broken pelvis.
All motorcycle and snowmobiles. Still ride both. Remember “god hates a quitter “

Dang, don't do that I won't be able to really have anything to post on that one!

Closest I can come is a separated shoulder, no real broken parts just some damaged ligaments.

Wait! Do teeth count as "bones", I did manage to bust off a front tooth just about a year ago!
tooth.JPG

Considering I have been riding motorcycles since 1966 and worked in a quarry for 45 years I guess I've been pretty lucky!

You know how they say about most accidents happening close to home? Well the separated shoulder and the broken tooth were done in my own driveway and both involved Yamaha XS650 motorcycles! The shoulder one was really caused by an Isuzu Trooper, but I was riding the Yamaha.

diamondtguy

Occupation
I have purposely stayed away from snow machines.One time out on one and I would be deep into research on them and then off to the dealer to buy one.I am afraid I would be bitten hard by the sport..

One other part time hobby I have.Dont play any where near as much as I used to but I still enjoy it when I do strap one on..
007 (8).JPG

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Living in a major snow area and a couple hundred yards from on of the local snow mobile trails one might think I would have one.

I had a chance probably 30 years ago to ride a friends, I believe it was an Arctic Cat, got less than a couple hundred yards out in his back field and got it stuck! That cured me of any thoughts of getting one of them!