• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advice needed please

Bognorgaz

Hey everybody, I’m a transport manager for driving experience company in the UK. We currently run a Peterbuilt Optimus prime lookalike that customers can drive. We are currently looking at buying a Western Star 5700xe and importing it so that we can have the Optimus Prime used in a later movie. Can anyone tell me the length from the nose to the fifth wheel and the fifth wheel to the rear so I can make sure we will be legal over here. Also any info on emissions level of the Detroit DD15 would be super helpful, I can’t get my head around your EPA regs compared to our Euro levels. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks on Advance.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
I’d think that if I were buying a Western Star to import to my country, I’d get that seemingly critical information from Western Star (?).

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
There is so much fail in this thread. For sure, For sure. Just spec your new 5700xe however you want, so it meets your requirements. Get a sliding 5th wheel.

OP, how can you barge in and tease us with your Peterbilt Optimus Prime and not provide some pictures? You should feel ashamed.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums BG! Glad to have you.

Tell us more about the driving experience ya'll are selling over in the UK. So one can drive a Pete mock up of Optimus Prime? Assuming the driving experience is on a closed track?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Y’all want to know something funny? I know the owners of the driving experience and have been tasked with finding them a used 5700xe. Shipped parts there a couple years ago for their 379. They’re up to about 75 movie cars. Think of basically any famous movie car and they have a replica you can rip around in.

To answer your question in regards to measurements the wheelbase will determine that. Not set rules here for wb, only once a truck is picked can you determine that measurement. Some internet research should yield the emissions info you seek.

Bognorgaz

I’d think that if I were buying a Western Star to import to my country, I’d get that seemingly critical information from Western Star (?).
hmmm jeez why didn’t I think of that? Oh yeah I did but no response from them. Anyway thanks for your input.

Bognorgaz

Not good to be condescending when someone is trying to help you.
In a very similar manner to whom I was replying. Western Star have been contacted but as I’m not buying new they seem reluctant to engage. So I thought I’d bring the questions to those who know best and sadly the EU regs that we are governed by are a minefield.

Welder Dave

We aren't mind readers and have no idea who you have or haven't contacted. There have been threads in the past where people haven't even bothered to look up even simple stuff on their own.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
In a very similar manner to whom I was replying. Western Star have been contacted but as I’m not buying new they seem reluctant to engage. So I thought I’d bring the questions to those who know best and sadly the EU regs that we are governed by are a minefield.

I'm just humping a desk today, so I had some time to kill. After about a less than 10 minute phone call to a local Western Star dealer, and a random chat about stuff like dimensions, emissions, availability etc. I gathered some information you might find important. Based on your demeanor here, I'm guessing you were just s c@nt on the phone and they hung up on you. Maybe change your tone and people will be more inclined to talk to you. Or not, I certainly don't care.

Zewnten

There's helping a guy out and then there's doing they're job for them. With out information how do we know which type we're working with? what leg work have you put in to this, that would at least give us a starting point to assist you. right now it sounds like you're expecting a lot and not putting any effort into it.