• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advice in getting fluids into transaxles?

emmett518

I’m still doing research, but I think I have to add fluid to the front and rear transaxles and hubs through the 3/8 inch drive plugs on the sides of both of these.

How do you get the fluid in there without spilling it everywhere?

Thanks.

edgephoto

Use a suction gun.

51JQxAUU8ML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I prefer to buy good quality tools but Harbor Freight carries them I bet. Local auto parts store will have one too.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I have screwed in a 3/8" hydraulic hose or correct size and pumped into the hose with the 1 gallon container mounted pumps. Easy standing up and comfortable. Mine has a fill plug in two bad location but it's easy to see when they are full.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
When I did my rear, I used this one. Was a little soar when done because of the volume, and viscosity of the oil. I would prolly do the same again as it was cheep and you do not do it often. If I had a shop, you can be sure I would have it powered by something other than me like an air pump or electric pump. As JL Sargent said getting the oil from above is prolly easier, but I really didn't have an access point on my machine.

s-l1600.jpg

Black_Cirrus

To fill the rear diff on mine I set the bucket in the cab, ran a chunk of cheap air hose through the slots for the hoe controls. Started a siphon and did something else for the next hour...

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Without going all-out with a dedicated drum dispenser for that particular lube product, these work good for occasional fills. Especially in the field. 03841D3E-4822-40A1-96C7-49F9DE913D05.jpeg

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Those little pumps work okay for topping up but anytime I do a total fill I stick a piece of 1/2" tygon on a funnel and hook the funnel up above the fill hole somewhere I can pour the oil in.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
That works, too. It also funnels the rain, mosquitoes, dust, volcanic ash, snow, cottonwood dander, and mud into the compartment I’m trying to fill.
Lol.

JBrady

Do it on a warm day or warm the oil up. It's no fun trying to pump cold gear oil through those small transfer pumps.

JL Sargent

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Probably not as many strokes as yur honeymoon, but I'm with Jonas and the bucket pump..the longer handle makes pumping a whole lot easier and the pump can be used for other fluids as well after the initial task..Just wouldn't recommend washer fluid or beverages...

JL Sargent

Probably not as many strokes as yur honeymoon, but I'm with Jonas and the bucket pump..the longer handle makes pumping a whole lot easier and the pump can be used for other fluids as well after the initial task..Just wouldn't recommend washer fluid or beverages...

I found it: 1.5 oz per stroke. So 3.5 gallons is 320 oz / 1.5 oz per stroke = 213.3 strokes. That's beyond my honeymoon estimate I'm afraid. :)

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Well did you factor in viscosity, temperature, barometric pressure, and available pump stroke clearance?:rolleyes: