• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

advice hint building design gin pole diy

trombeur

hi, sorry if I disturb. an acquaintance of mine would like to buy an old military truck and mount a gin pole on it that he would like to make by hand. it should have a capacity of 2 tons and a height under the lifting hook of 2 meters. some ideas some realization suggestions. thanks. what constructive parameters we will have to use to dimension the structure.gin pole truck homemade.png

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I have no pictures of it. I once started with a light car frame that hinged at the front bumper of a 1936 Dodge 1-1/2 ton truck. I later refined it to a fabricated frame made from channel & flat stock. Hoisting the frame was done with a come along in a tree, then a come along from rear of the truck frame. With come along it was cumbersome, so it stayed mounted on the truck most of the time.
By 1987 it was a much improved arrangement, I had a 1956 Power Wagon with two PTO winches, one front, one rear.

Two tons is a lot of weight hanging out 2 meters unless a BIG truck, flat, hard ground. I think you want to pare back some on your capacity.

trombeur

it is an old military truck, I have to realize before I get started if the game is worth the candle if it is feasible.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Will you hoist in one place, or hoist & drive around? I used mine to rotate weldments so I could always weld flat. I never attempted to drive with anything suspended. On the few occasions I used it to load something I hoisted the object, and backed a truck under, all of this on level ground.

trombeur

I would have to lift and tow like a rudimentary tow truck, lift not very much, low to the ground, the right height that allows me to drag the objects that I have to move, not kilometers of course, in the area confined to the courtyard. thank you.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Back in the day these were popular here they were built to any number of specifications not any one basic and mostly less engineered than fabricobbled by local welding shops. They were intention built either long boom for Lighter more bulky functions or short boomed for Heavy Close in work where the necessities evaporated for the most part to swinging mechanic booms which are far more durable, have designed engineered crane charts and references where are far more stable as also have outriggers. Oil Patch operators still utilize these but to less demand than years ago and specialization of machines risks having one that sits more than gets used. Buying a old smaller crane actually makes better sense currently.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Might the frames used by propane tank movers, burial vault setters, septic tank, Etc. meet your needs? These trucks have a rear arch, and a headboard stout enough to support a horizontal I beam overhead. A beam trolley rides on this, a hoist hangs from the trolley. These are pretty simple to build and by my thinking less risk of injury. You can use to load & unload.

trombeur

grazie per le vostre risposte e per i vostri consigli, se fosse possibile avrei bisogno di foto o disegni con misure per prendere spunto ed evitare di fare errori di costruzione ...

upload_2021-4-9_17-40-16.jpeg
b355c6dd0235a6b73257eb3f6f64e95b.png

https://shaws.co.nz/resources/block-loads
blocks2.gif

blocks3.gif

https://www.iadc.org/wp-content/upl...ring-and-Certification-of-Gin-Pole-Trucks.pdf

melius est abundare quam deficere

Old Doug

I have a book some were that a enginer made a drawing of a winch truck and what he thought and calculated it could lift it is wrong any one that has ever been around one could tell him he was wrong. I started out with a 3/4 pickup with a 20 ton winch it was very imperssive. I replaced it with the IH it should be 2 times the truck but it isnt.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Still boils down to dead weight ballast at the Opposite end to boom. Track Chassis, Engine and cab on the old Loadstar is Not much heavier than that 3/4t pickup so ballast is yet unchanged Add Distance from base of boom and add angle for use and that ballast as shown on Crane Charts becomes a impressive LARGER Number, goes up exponentially or on a curve not lineally.

hosspuller

I have a hard time reconciling static load on the gin pole block being more than 1000 Kg. The line pull is balanced. Only when accelerating the load, is the line pull more than the load. I think you're overstating the load on the blocks..

trombeur

grazie per la precisazione, quale metodo empirico devo utilizzare per creare una struttura proporzionale ad un autocarro di media portata senza creare danni strutturali al veicolo, tenendo conto che dovrei sollevare circa 2 tonnellate? grazie scusa se insisto.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I have a hard time reconciling static load on the gin pole block being more than 1000 Kg. The line pull is balanced. Only when accelerating the load, is the line pull more than the load. I think you're overstating the load on the blocks..
What is the line tension at the weight being lifted?
As it is the same line, the winch cable will have to be at or near the same tension plus some friction it must overcome. Both sides of the block A are pulling against block A. The angle of pull is not the same for both sides of the block, so tension at hook A is less than double, but more than equal.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
M88 80 Tons of Ballast with a Pivot Point blade under the chin for strong arm stabilizing. Those pickups will never achieve the power to weight ration that 88 has.

trombeur

f5e456b8-721d-411e-800f-9af6c590e3d6-640x480.jpg

e0620af8-2db2-47ed-a4e2-64447c85e006-300x225.jpg
8e755330-299a-4d53-8604-fe2bbf2d0024-300x225.jpg

Iveco Cm80
https://it.linkfang.org/wiki/Iveco_ACM_80/90
Dimensions:
length = 6413 mm
width = 2270 mm
height = 3085 mm
Displacement: 5861 cm3
Weight: 4700 kg
No. of cylinders: 6
Capacity: 4000 kg
Power: kW: 125 - CV: 170 at 3000 rpm ACM 90/160 CV at 3000 rpm
Towable weight: 6413 kg
Torque: Nm: 460 - kgm: 46.9 at 2000 rpm
Body size:
Length: 4255 mm
Width: 2200 mm
Height: 3085mm.
a truck like this should be set up with the gin pole configuration what do you think, do you think it is suitable?