• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advice for replacing broken window on Cat 305C

Extra Fubar

Hello,

The front sliding window (when sitting in the excavator, sliding front window on the left side) was broken in my Cat 305C 2008 and the previous owner had replace it with a plexiglass. I purchased an original window and got it yesterday.

Do you have any advice on how to install that thing? I can push it up or down in the "rail" so it fits. Looks like I have to remove something to fit it in but I can't see what.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

heymccall

I've encountered two kinds. One, you remove a plastic runner in the bottom channel. Others, you spread the rails up/ down and add glass, after removing it from cab.

Extra Fubar

I can't see how I can remove the rails from the cab and I guess the plastic runner will be destroyed if I try to remove them to fit the window.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
i've tried looking in all the obvious locations but can't see anything in the way of instructions, even for other similar models. Clutching at straws but is there some way the frame for the sliding window removes as a unit from the cab in order to open it up and install the new glass..?

Cmark

Can't say for sure, but from experience if you pull out the felt strip that lines the frame, you should find some screws that fix the frame to the cab. Remove the frame from the cab and it should come apart.

heymccall

On my 324d door sliding glass, the bottom of the glass run was plastic, and lifted out (not intuitively).
My Takeuchi TB180 slider windows, opposite entry door, the entire unit was butyl rubbered in. Remove interior windlace, slowly pry top of frame away from cab (butyl is uncured and gummy), spread frame top up enough to insert new glass.

Extra Fubar

Here are some pics of where the window slides.

Attachments

• 20180603_085240.jpeg
    20180603_085240.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 32
  • 20180603_085306.jpeg
    20180603_085306.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20180603_085340.jpeg
    20180603_085340.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 28

Extra Fubar

Hi heymccall, thanks for your reply. If you look at the first picture I posted, you can see holes in the rails for water drainage. The second picture shows that same hole from below the rail. As you can see, there's no way a filler can fit in there.

From that 2nd picture too, you can see a shim on the left side of the hole for water drainage. I suspect that the windrow frame is actually glued there.

heymccall

Staring at your pictures, I see a windlace (rubber upside spring containing seal). Unlace the whole strip, then you'll see the sheetmetal/ window frame interface. Then pull top of frame from cab, using heavy putty knife first. Once frame is tilted out, either pull a channel corner fastener, or spread frame upward. Install glass. Place frame and windlace back.

heymccall

It's a friction fit molding. Talked to cat tech, they couldn't find much, other than reference to concealed screws somewhere. Either under the windlace holding the frame in or holding the frame channel together.

bob_00

Cant rember for the heck of me but ther is 2 type 1 have a hiidden screw to take out the track the other is a glued track if i recall right the hidden screw was under a Rubber gasket kind of stuff try take a picture of the entier thing it might help m'y old brain rember were that screw was

Extra Fubar

@bob_00 Thanks for your response - I'll take a few more pics this coming weekend. Out of curiosity, where are you located in Quebec? I'm also in Quebec.