• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advice for a new mechanic building his toolkit?

td25c

When I started out just went with a sears roller cabinet box with a tool chest on top . When I needed a bigger box I bought another sears roller & bolted them together & added a tag axil in the middle .

Caught a little flack from the other mechanics with the big Snap On setups . It was all cool !

I got them back when I set up a Knapheide tool box with a Ford 460 engine .

Pulled up to the shop and service manager & my buddy's all came out to look it over .

Manager asks " what are you going to do with that " ?

"I'm going to go make some real folding money " :D

His jaw dropped a little .:) I was 24 at the time .

Still have both tool boxes .scan0004[1].jpg

Wes J

When I started, pre internet like it is today, I bought a used Mac single bank roller and a more used Snap On top box off the Snap-on guy. I seem to remember paying $600 for the setup, which was probably too much. I used that for about 3 years until I scored a Mac Tech 1000 double bank box at an auction of a retiring mechanic. I paid $750 for that and sold the little Mac bottom box to the bosses kid and kept the top box for home. I still use that Mac box 13 years later. I made an oak top for it from wood I salvaged from a van trailer floor.

I couldn't afford many truck tools, but I did buy some. We had Mac, Matco, and Snap-on every week. Snap on guy was a dick, so other than that first box and a torque wrench, I never bought any Snap-on tools. Lots of Matco.

Also, I could buy USA made Allen brand tools at the farm store, and USA made Craftsman at Sears in the big city. I still have many of those tools even though Allen ceases to be a brand.

Things are a lot different now. Taiwan and China tools have come a long way. The quality of all tools is much better. Compare the finish of a 25 year old Snap-on wrench to a new one. It's night and day different.

Personally, I buy mostly Proto and SK now. I don't like dealing with the trucks. I just order tools from a local supplier. I don't warranty tools either. Not worth it. I just toss them and buy a new one. I lose more tools than I break.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
For some high quality Taiwanese stuff, Check with a local New Holland or Case dealer. Its the same stuff that Snap on sells as Blue Point now, For a lot less.

JD955SC

For some high quality Taiwanese stuff, Check with a local New Holland or Case dealer. Its the same stuff that Snap on sells as Blue Point now, For a lot less.

NAPA is an excellent source of quality tools too. Their Carlyle brand is great, all made in Taiwan but it’s high quality. They have a very thick tool catalog of all the brands they carry too if you ask them for a copy

td25c

My most used tool hands down is a Leatherman super tool 300 .

Pins & bushings are gettin pretty wore down . I'm due for a new one .

What would completely shut us down is if we run out of Skoal !

Pretty bad when ya tell the concrete truck driver to stop in the convenience store & grab a can of tobacco . LOL! :Druck 001[1].jpg

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Love the truck setup !

A young RZucker in field welding irrigation pipe .

Cool photo :cool:

I have to ask ... What is the rig behind the farm tractor ?

Actually in this pic I was wrenching. The rig was a hydraulic power pack I had built for a farmer to run "push out" trailers that had a huge telescoping cylinder pushing a sliding bulkhead to unload compost or silage. They didn't want to bother with the expense of wet kits on rental trucks. I think the cylinder stroke was around 365"... they took a lot of oil to extend.
It doesn't show in the pic angle, but that truck was packing a Lincoln SA200 welder and a 13 HP air compressor. That crane was one of my favorites, no remote but it could lift, pull, push, etc. The 427 was somewhat thirsty.

Last edited:

td25c

One thing I will add that might be of interest to a young mechanic starting out .

Myself .... Could not stand working in the same building / shop all day long .

Really enjoyed the field work the best be it a wrecker or service call in the 460 Ford tool box . The outdoor on site work was far more exiting then back at the shop .

Worked for several fertilizer companies dragging & patching trucks back together in the dirt . Really liked it !

Call from the plant manager would go down like this , " We have a spreader truck over in Orange county with a busted king pin on the drivers side " , " Don't care how you fix it just make it move again & send us a bill " . :)

Endless stories like that . It's fast pace Spaghetti Western wrenching .:D

" Make it move again & send us a bill" . I like it :)

td25c

Actually in this pic I was wrenching. The rig was a hydraulic power pack I had built for a farmer to run "push out" trailers that had a huge telescoping cylinder pushing a sliding bulkhead to unload compost or silage. They didn't want to bother with the expense of wet kits on rental trucks. I think the cylinder stroke was around 365"... they took a lot of oil to extend.

I noticed it had a tank on it and lines . That's cool coming up with a simple solution to the problem with parts & equipment on hand .

Damn Hot Rodder's ! :cool:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
One thing I will add that might be of interest to a young mechanic starting out .

Myself .... Could not stand working in the same building / shop all day long .

Really enjoyed the field work the best be it a wrecker or service call in the 460 Ford tool box . The outdoor on site work was far more exiting then back at the shop .

Worked for several fertilizer companies dragging & patching trucks back together in the dirt . Really liked it !

Call from the plant manager would go down like this , " We have a spreader truck over in Orange county with a busted king pin on the drivers side " , " Don't care how you fix it just make it move again & send us a bill " . :)

Endless stories like that . It's fast pace Spaghetti Western wrenching .:D

" Make it move again & send us a bill" . I like it :)

You are strange... Just like me.;) I always said a bad day in the field is better than a good day in the shop. And "make it move"? that was my middle name.