• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advantages / disadvantages of enclosed cab skid steer?

DPForumDog

AC and heat are obvious advantages of an enclosed cab skid steer. ( EROPS ) But are there truly other advantages?
Are they safer? Would the glass protect you from a limb?
Breathing? Would you still need to wear a respirator dust mask?

What are the disadvantages?

Thanks for any discussion.
Granny DP
DPForumDog

bad Tom

What's bad about enclosed cabs? Getting in and out. Can't open the door with the boom up more than a few inches. Can't see as good with a dirty door. The door will help with branches (been smacked in the face many times), but the glass will not stop the limbs from getting inside. My insurance agent told me that front doors are the largest claims she gets. Thay do have the heavy duty door that you can through a cement block into and not damage it, but they cost a lot of money. I take the doors off of mine when I don't need them.

heymccall

Only bad is having to clean windows, IF you have the self storing door, like all my Kubota and Takeuchi CTLs.

Otherwise, having to clean windows AND having to climb around the swing door like on my Cat SSLs.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Most common things I haul skid steers for if it's not emissions related is air conditioning. People just do not keep the coils clean on these things. If you are in an enclosed cab you need good HVAC all year round. I've brought them in with the coils, (evaporator and condenser) so caked up there is no way airflow can pass. With an enclosed cab a good pressure washer is a must and it has to be used routinely.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Aside from what has already been said, the EROPS machine holds its value much better than an OROPS machine. The money spent in getting a full cab, more than comes back to you when you trade or sell. So while enclosed cabs of all designs (flip up door and swing out door) have some down sides, they are still a better value than an open cab.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The thing the struck me was how to get out in the event of a fire in the engine compartment. Let's say the engine dies and you hear a kind of thud with a puff. The boom is middle of the door and the emergency exit is the back window, but that is where the flames are shooting up about five feet high.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The issue I've had is when looking at the enclosed cab machines for trade in, the doors are all removed and missing. Most were damaged when the boom came down on them when partially open. The rest were just removed and lost.

Jonas302

You just patiently wait for the hoses to burn though to let the boom down In all seriousness the back windows are pretty small and would be a last resort Cat doors have emergency handles on the hinges so you can take the door off from the inside and try to get it out of your way

It really depends on your use my shop skid steer I am in and out moving things ect it has side windows and a heater but the door hasn't been on for years

For a machine you use all day its cab all the way keeps you comfortable and protected

You mention limbs and dust you then need a cab absolutely a lexan forestry door will keep most reasonable things out of the cab I would never ever have a glass door again they break to easy lexan is about $4-500 they get screeched up though

Dust is a non issue with a pressurized cab it will have at least one probably 2 HVAC filters

The thing the struck me was how to get out in the event of a fire in the engine compartment. Let's say the engine dies and you hear a kind of thud with a puff. The boom is middle of the door and the emergency exit is the back window, but that is where the flames are shooting up about five feet high.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
This is something that has always bothered me, also. Not only could you possibly have fire out the back window, you also may have a very hot exhaust stack right outside that rear window. The Bobcat T300 I ran for many years, doing brush clearing, comes to mind. If that thing had ever gone up in flames, with an attachment blocking the front door, I just assumed I would be toast.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I had a CASE 465 that started on fire while I was mulching. The loader arms were up in the air and a line blew, spraying hyd oil all over the turbo. Instantly a decent sized fire in the back of the machine and the loader arms were in the way of swinging the door open. I held the control handle to loader down and the loader arms settled below the cab and I got out. Had that not worked I was ready to kick the lexan out of the door frame. Going out the back obviously wasn't an option. It sucked and a bit scary to honest, but I would still rather manage that, than not having a cab at all.

As far as damaged cabs, certainly the doors get broke, and can be a pain. Equipment needs to be taken care of to see most in resale and trade in. No different than any other aspect of owning equipment. Still a well cared for full cab machine, doesn't cost anything when you trade or sell since the resale value accounts for all or nearly all of the initial cost of an EROPS.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
After spending years eating dust in open cab Bobcats I will not buy another CTL without cab and A/C. The cloth air ride seat and radio are nice as well.:D

Like KSS said it's heavy equipment and needs to be serviced and taken care of. No different with the HVAC systems.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I agree with both the above posts, 100%. I will not run a skidsteer that does not have an enclosed cab with heat, A/C, and a radio is nice too. Guess I am just getting old and want a few creature comforts.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I would add one last thing. I don't how it is everywhere else, but unemployment rate here is 2%. Finding good help is nearly impossible without stealing them from someone else. If I am putting someone in a CTL and paying him $25 an hour in an open cab machine and someone else will pay the same hourly but he gets to spend all day in a full cab, all else being equal, where does he go? He goes where he is more comfortable, while cold is more of an issue here, hot and humid probably has the same effect. It is an absolute employee driven time right now. If I have employees and I am deciding which is a better use of money, EROPS or OROPS, this is just another example of EROPS being money well spent. Like CM1995, I stopped buying OROPS 20 years ago. Once I figured out that eating dirt and freezing my butt off was not only uncomfortable, but financially a poor decision.

Steve Favia

Occupation
Retired local 150 Operating Engineer
Had a experienced operator grading the parking lot for a boat storage company,with a case skid steer in the fall with a enclosed cab heat on ect was also grading around sea wall ended up falling in the water and drowned nobody knows exactly what happened young guy with wife and small kids just a terrible accident so sad I drive past it a few times a week on my way to the coffee shop say a prayer every time I go past.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Thats terribe Steve.
Had a friend get trapped in his NH due to a electrical failure with the boom up. Dealer had to come out and "free" him.
On my old 743, the rear window can be opened from the inside...but, not everyone will fit thru the hole.

Ed

Steve Favia

Occupation
Retired local 150 Operating Engineer
Thanks Bumpsteer,terrible accident.Yea spent some time on the skid steers small rear window would be tough.The operator that fell in the water was by himself and if I remember correctly no body saw him fall in right away, wasn’t until somebody walked out there and saw him upside down underwater,alot of terrible ways to die,that’s right up there in my book

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Nobody hurt but I retrieved one from a creek submerged to the top of the ROPS last year after the owner slipped sideways on the greasy clay bank. He got out through the front door frame after kicking it out, but the tractor was settling deeper in the mud ultimately leaving about two inches of the ROPS showing above water.

The engine water slogged and tractor was deemed a total loss by insurance replaced with the same model.

Tyler d4c

My sister need some work done including putting a fancy up for the hay burners. And way I had my 279c there with a cab. It was about 98.2 degrees and 99 percent humidity I was froze and the old man and bro in law were about read to melt. It was a glorious day.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is keeping the weather out of the machine while transporting. My 248 is a 2000 model, I've got heat but no A/C, I don't think it was available back then. I run with the door off in summer months and put it on in the winter to stay warm.

A downside I haven't seen mentioned is reduced visibility. The door frame takes out some of the forward visibility and the glass adds glare under some conditions. If I'm fine grading with the bucket I'll often lean forward for a better view, I hit my head on the glass when the door is on.