• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Adding auxilary hydraulics

Effinay

Occupation
Getting organized with my own small business
Hi All,
Not sure if this is even the right place to post this but I'll take the chance....I've got a hydraulic thumb I wish to add to my backhoe. Welding the tabs/ears for mounting seems somewhat straight forward, but when it comes to plumbing the thing I'm getting shaky and reading about hydraulic theory and all that makes my eyes glaze over and I fall ouuta my chair. I'm reasonably mechanically inclined, can usually follow directions after reading them a few times, polite to old ladies and kind to my wife's cats. What's that you say? Never mind those last two things, I just threw them in there. I'd like to control it with a foot pedal for convenience. Just not sure where to start. Anyone offer some direction/advice? I'd be much obliged, and Thank You in advance. All the best!

Plebeian

aux hydraulics

Backhoe threads are for the tractor/ backhoe section.
You don't say what backhoe you have. Check to see there is no extra spools on the hydraulic control bank that are unused, if not you might need to add an extra spool or other options depending on what the existing hydraulic set up is.
No welding necessary if you use a thumb like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anhKIUMfHaE