• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

accidents we don't here about

catkicker

Occupation
Crane Operator
Was talking with a operator who I use to work with. He told me they had a 999
Tip over. Don't know details yet. There is no info out there about it.
makes me wonder how many incidents go unreported.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I have heard of a few where they got lucky and no one was injured. Especially with the smaller outfits and older cranes. Get another rig and stand it up before it gets noticed. With the paper trail today I can see why.

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
I have heard of a few where they got lucky and no one was injured. Especially with the smaller outfits and older cranes. Get another rig and stand it up before it gets noticed. With the paper trail today I can see why.

same...

The term "lost time injury" gets me, no lost time, and everything gets swept under the carpet. Ive known companies ******** paperwork, as in the injured persons shift rotations, (days/nights) with no breaks etc, which ironically gets overlooked, to fudge not having an LTI. Its a joke. Makes a complete mockery of the safety culture IMO.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
The other side of this is if you followed every safety rule on the books to the letter the clerk in the office would have to make out a report for a paper cut while going throgh the mornings mail. And if it happened too often they would be let go as a safety risk. I have heard of a company getting a citation from MSHA be cause some one put a half eaten doughnut in the waste basket with no cover. Now I agree throwing out a perfectly good doughnut is a "crime" but is it a real safety issue?

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator

I think a LOT of accidents go unreported. It all depends on where it happens. Urban areas where everyone can see and take photos and video, it's all over the media, literally within minutes. If it is someplace behind a fence and not seen from the road, it's a lot less likely we will ever know about it. I think that's one reason some plants don't allow people to bring in phones/cameras, etc.

td25c

Accidents will happen .... It's part of life . People aint perfect

That being said I don't worry to much on the job site as if we don't like something about the lift we just stop & regroup as needed .

Where it get's crazy is moving from job to job on the road in traffic that don't give a rats arse . That's when I need a good " Blocker / jam car " ahead and behind me when moving . My Dad is pretty good at jamming traffic . LOL!

Knepptune

Blocker car. Lol we use to have to do with an link belt we had. 70k crane with a 555 cummins. That crane couldn't get out of its own way running downhill. It was fun on 465.

td25c

Blocker car. Lol we use to have to do with an link belt we had. 70k crane with a 555 cummins. That crane couldn't get out of its own way running downhill. It was fun on 465.

Yep .... Good blocker car keep's everyone safe & out of trouble .

We do it whenever moving anything oversize . On state roads & moving through town blocker stays behind me and on country roads blocker runs about 1/2 mile ahead of me .

Where's Burt Reynolds when we need him .:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqaFGM-AyNA