• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Accidentaly added 80/90 gear oil to hydraulic tank

Doug580l

Yes, I'm an idiot. I was adding hydraulic fluid to my 580sl and needed a new 5 gallon can. So I just grabbed a new traveler's brand pail from tsc that I had and opened it up and put the pump in it. After putting in a gallon or so I noticed that the fluid was going in slower that usual. It's about 45 degrees in the building so I didn't think much of it. Then i happened to notice that it's 80/90 and not hydraulic fluid. I don't remember even having a new pail of 80/90. Anyways, do I need to drain the hydraulic fluid now? I assume I do but I hate to do it if I don't need to since it was recently changed.

Thanks

AllDodge

I did similar to my Grove manlift after changing filter. Bought 3 buckets (15 gal AW32) from Walmart online. Add first then started adding second and also thought its going in slow, then noticed 80/90 after about 2 to 3 Gal. The 3rd bucket was AW32, so Walmart sent 2 correct and one wrong. After adding the 3rd bucket do notice the machine moves a bit slower but does still move ok

Delmer

The gear oil might be in a puddle on the bottom of the tank and you might suck it out. search the suck bucket on here, or just siphon it out. I'd try at least. If you can't get any, or you've already run it, the weight difference isn't as big as the numbers indicate, they're different scales.