• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Accident in Nebraska...

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
I was perusing the news like I usually do first thing and was saddened to see this. Keep these families in your prayers.
I got this from Yahoo news. Here's the link yoou may have to copy and paste it:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080912/ap_on_re_us/trench_deaths;_ylt=AorT45V.4WcfsjVT99WRXChvzwcF

VERDEL, Neb. - Four construction workers in northeast Nebraska died in a collapsed trench after one of them fell in and his co-workers tried to rescue him, officials said Friday.

The four men were working on the drainage trench near Verdel on Friday morning when part of it collapsed, the Knox County Sheriff's office said in a news release.

Travis Lunn, 24, of O'Neill, fell into the collapsing trench, officials said. The three others tried to rescue him but also became trapped in the dirt.

David Peterson, 35, of O'Neill; Gary Forsch, 61, of Spencer; and Brad Kelly, 43, of Lynch, also were killed.

The six-mile, $2.26 million project was scheduled to be completed in October, according to the Nebraska Department of Roads Web site.

The roadway has been damaged by flooding from high Missouri River water levels. It hadn't rained in the area for a few days, but sheriff's officials said water appeared to be seeping into the trench at the site of the collapse.

Verdel is a town of about 60 people just south of the South Dakota line.

curly

Occupation
loader operator
That's sad but serves as a reminder to watch your footing near trenches and holes. I wonder how deep it was for reasons of having the trench shored.

JDOFMEMI

It is a tragedy whenever anyone is hurt or killed in the business.

One reminder though. The first thing we are taught in saftey training is not to just jump in and make a bad situation worse. If you are going to resue someone, take the precautions to so you do not become the next victim.

knucklehead98

We had one very similar to that a few months ago. I didn't know the plumber, but know the contractor that he was working for. Long story short , it was late friday afternoon,and he was in a hurry to make his hook up. He jumped in the hole before they could get the box in the hole. It collapsed and killed him. It makes for a sad day all around.

bluntman410g

Occupation
OPERATOR
A Former Employee Of My Dads Was Working 6 Miles Down The Road From The Site When Sherrif Pulled Up And Him And His Crew Followed With Shovels To Try And Save Those Men But It Was To Late. Very Sad Situation These Men Are Deeply Missed By Everyone That Knew Them In Our State. Prayers Go Out To The Families They Know Who They Are