• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A300 Keyless Pad Problem

aknome

Occupation
Retired teacher
Hello,
When I push the yellow start button nothing happens. All Screens stay blank. It did the same thing last week. Two minutes on the charger and ran fine. Today, even with battery reading fully charged, no go. Pushing light button to get codes does nothing. Where do I start looking to solve this problem? I did have the Stop button not work once a month ago. Main use has been snow removal. Thanks

aknome

Occupation
Retired teacher
Thanks. Will try that. Any other suggestions? I know there's a lot of knowledge out there.

aknome

Occupation
Retired teacher
Cleaned cables, checked all fuses, switched relays around. Keyless pad still dead. Battery on charger reads full. Suggestions on how to proceed?

crewchief888

Check for 12v and ground at both panels. Make your ground connection at the panel connector, not at a frame ground.
You may have a bad connection at the cab/mainframe connector

crewchief888

sorry got sidetracked while i was posting...
at both panels you should have key off 12v on the red or red/white wire
(solid red is unfused, direct from main 100a fuse above the battery, red/white will be fused power, from the fuse block)
ground is black.

cab/mainframe harness connection is under the cab, it may be out in the open, or tucked up under the frame rail on top of the hyd tank.

:eek:

aknome

Occupation
Retired teacher
What should the voltage be on that red wire? I've got 6.6. There is no red/white wire but there is an orange wire that also reads above 6. Both sides of 25A computer fuse read 13.2. Could the keypad itself be the problem?

aknome

Occupation
Retired teacher
Finally got cab unfrozen enough to lift. Found loom worn through up on back wall and an orange wire broken. Spliced that and now have 10 to 11 volts on red wire where right keypad plugs in. All other wires appear to be fine. Keypad still does not light up. Corrosion at fuse block?
Also discovered a couple wires up front with male/female connectors sort of randomly laying about up front below where your feet go. They are not the same colors. This machine has obviously had some wiring "extras" done to it in the past but until recently has worked perfectly. Suggestions for the next step would be appreciated. Battery read 12.48 today.

crewchief888

you should be seeing very close to battery voltage at the panels, not 10-11 volts you are seeing.

aknome

Occupation
Retired teacher
Finally got a day with no blowing snow. Mainframe harness connector had 12.4 volts. Fuse block had 12.4 volts. Checked up at keyless pad .2 and going down to .05 with meter held on pin. My thinking is a break someplace in the cab harness. Am I on the right track?

aknome

Occupation
Retired teacher
Update and a Thank You to crewchief888. Cut red power wire on cab harness near the orange one we had spliced. It appeared fine but Corrosion inside, no voltage. shoveled snow to get tai gate open. (It was higher than tailgate) Ran a wire from starter positive terminal to right keyless pad. Buddy had a small pin that fit. Slipped factory pin out of connector. Fired right up. No lights for controls (the four yellow on left keypad) but it moved and lift and bucket worked. Also no wiper and no lights or taillights. But it ran just fine for the two hours it took to dig my way out to the street and clear my yard. I will be ordering a new cab harness in the morning.

crewchief888

yea ive seen that problem many times. the insulation looks good but the wire is broken or corroded inside. sometimes you can "feel" a bad spot in the wire. i'd cut out the bad area and splice it back together with a short piece of wire and a couple of heat shrink butt connectors, and see if everything comes back to life.

aknome

Occupation
Retired teacher
Problem finally solved. New cab harness, new controller, new pins at controller connector and main harness connector. (Power wire to keyless pad) Spent a lot of time waiting for Bobcat tech to get up here to program controller. (No roads to Nome, AK) I find it interesting that until it didn't run at all; it ran perfectly fine with a lot of corroded pins, wires and a resin-cracked controller. But ready for more snow now.