• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A25c won't accelerate

tctractors

The A25C has a wing mounted fuel tank plus a rear of cab high mounted boost tank, if the tanks are filled up you will not have any Sucking air issues, it is common to find faulty lift pumps on these engines but they still manage to run well enough, the Alpha drive can be something to check plus the torque stall speed will give you good information on the engine condition, a few air bubbles in the filter bowl would not be your running problem, your looking in the wrong place if it starts, revs and sounds good. tctractors

Dakotab19

So I did some testing with a fuel can today, and feeding the pump with another can didn't do anything to help the air bubbles, but what I did notice was that the pump consumes a lot of fuel. I ran the truck for maybe 2-3 minutes and it sucked a lot of fuel out of the can.

This caused so much return fuel to be sent into the bottom tank (which was practically full) to finish filling it all the way and caused fuel to shoot out the feed line.

Is this normal for the pumps on these to have such a large amount of return fuel.

Dakotab19

The "lift pump" supply fuel BUT the "Overflow valve" HOLDS the pressure to a preset limit & then lets it go..
So its a 2 fold system.. EVEN IF u put a guage on it.. if its low, u have to replace one or the other & then if that doesn't do it, u replace BOTH..
Hope that helps.

So if the valve is good will the pressure at the bleed port on the filters, where my book says to take fuel pressure readings, be somewhat consistant?

Dakotab19

The A25C has a wing mounted fuel tank plus a rear of cab high mounted boost tank, if the tanks are filled up you will not have any Sucking air issues, it is common to find faulty lift pumps on these engines but they still manage to run well enough, the Alpha drive can be something to check plus the torque stall speed will give you good information on the engine condition, a few air bubbles in the filter bowl would not be your running problem, your looking in the wrong place if it starts, revs and sounds good. tctractors

What is the Alpha drive, and what do you mean by torque stall speed?

The truck starts good and sound good but it revs up real slowly, and when you try to drive it it just acts like it has no power.

Se.la

Occupation
Technician VOLVO, old heavy machinery
Can you do a stall test and give us the max RPM you've got.
should be between 1850-1950 rpm

tctractors

Dakotab, its not intended to sound bad but you are somewhat flogging a dead horse worrying about a few bubbles in you jar, the rear fuel tank is 2 feet higher than your engine, the alpha drive is the bit in front of the injector pump that drives your pump, its an advance - retard injection control oil pressure fed, to stall test your torque you need to stuff it in gear 2nd or 3rd and stall the drive via the foot brake or up against resistance then stuff your boot into the throttle and note the rev speed, then under no load note the high idle speed, then post here but no half baked crap like " Around or Nearly" but the correct data. tctractors. p.s. How many up-shifts will the G/Box make on a clear flat road? does the Torque lock in the low gears? is the drop box in high or low?

Dakotab19

Dakotab, its not intended to sound bad but you are somewhat flogging a dead horse worrying about a few bubbles in you jar, the rear fuel tank is 2 feet higher than your engine, the alpha drive is the bit in front of the injector pump that drives your pump, its an advance - retard injection control oil pressure fed, to stall test your torque you need to stuff it in gear 2nd or 3rd and stall the drive via the foot brake or up against resistance then stuff your boot into the throttle and note the rev speed, then under no load note the high idle speed, then post here but no half baked crap like " Around or Nearly" but the correct data. tctractors. p.s. How many up-shifts will the G/Box make on a clear flat road? does the Torque lock in the low gears? is the drop box in high or low?

Will just putting the gear selector in to 2nd or 3rd gear positions from a stop be ok to stall test the truck?
I cannot get the truck to accerate past 5 mph even on a level surface, when you try to accelerate the truck just barely moves along and has no power. It has so little power that on slightly muddy ground, where it sunk in a bit, the truck had to be pulled out by a tractor.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Will just putting the gear selector in to 2nd or 3rd gear positions from a stop be ok to stall test the truck?
Yes. You need to do 2 tests: -
1. With the transmission in neutral and park brake on, accelerate the engine to full throttle - note the maximum RPM.
2. Release the park brake, put your left foot on the service brake, and put the transmission into 2nd or 3rd gear. Floor the throttle with your right foot - note the maximum RPM.

Post those two numbers back here.

Dakotab19

Does anyone know what pressure the overflow valve should open at, I decided before I did the stall test I would check it, also will the valve always leak some?
I tested it with air and a regulator and it opened around 12-15 psi. ( Sorry for the gap but the regulator I have isn't the most precise)

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
Hi all. I am really late to this party but I had this problem a few years back with an A25c. Looking in from the front of the engine there are two air solenoids under the right hand side of the windscreen. One of mine stuck in an open position sending an air supply down to the trans retarder. These trucks don’t need to be in gear for the trans retarder to work. The truck would hardly shift out of first. Disconnect the air supply temporarily to these valve and let us know. I have a thread here somewhere about rebuilding that truck that goes through it all?

Dakotab19

Hi all. I am really late to this party but I had this problem a few years back with an A25c. Looking in from the front of the engine there are two air solenoids under the right hand side of the windscreen. One of mine stuck in an open position sending an air supply down to the trans retarder. These trucks don’t need to be in gear for the trans retarder to work. The truck would hardly shift out of first. Disconnect the air supply temporarily to these valve and let us know. I have a thread here somewhere about rebuilding that truck that goes through it all?

Do both solenoids work the trans retarder?

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
Do both solenoids work the trans retarder?
Ya one for each power level (one does 1st gear & overheat and the second full power retardation). Take away the feeding air supply and let us know?

Dakotab19

Ok so a bunch of info on the situation so here goes.

I put on the new overflow valve I talked about earlier, this made a little difference, the truck now accelerates ok in park from idle to about 1000 rpm, and decent from 2000-2400 rpm.

I did a stall test on the truck and the highest it would rev is 900 rpm.

The trucks max rpm is 2400. (Is this high enough it doesn't go into the red until 2800).

I unhooked the air line going to the retarder, this didn't seem to make any difference in neutral.

I found out the transfer case sensor is unhooked.

That all said I did try driving the truck around, and the truck actually drove better, it would actually rev up to about 2200 rpm and I was able to get it to shift into 2nd.

Any ideas on the best course of action?

Dakotab19

Also I did notice the Aneroid covers have been off, and I'm wondering if someone messed with the adjuster. Does anybody know how to get the, what look like, headless screws out of the covers?
IMG_20190911_203015820.jpg IMG_20190911_202957332.jpg

Se.la

Occupation
Technician VOLVO, old heavy machinery
High idle speed should be 2600-2720rpm.
2400 is to low

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
EVERY ONE I've ever done, the aneroid HAD to be adjusted for faster {lower} boost..
IF u can somehow get a boost guage inline, that would tell u which one first..
OR u can TRY to adjust the speed at the throttle stopper bolt..
JUST REMEMBER, THAT stopper bolt will only get u "so far" & THEN CUT THE SPEED BACK if u went TO FAR..