• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A25C Trans replacement

SlatcoAu

Started on the trans replacement on my A25 this weekend. Bit of work for certain. Some takeaways for those who have not done this:
- Fuel lines on my truck were similar to airbrake hose from the tank and then to a adapter fitting to some type of metric flare. I had problems finding plugs so ended up having to drain the upper tank to prevent fuel from free flowing out.
- Make sure your front tie downs are straight otherwise the bumper will not want to come out easily.

All in all not too bad, it will be way harder re-installing.

Next steps are to pull the oil cooler and send it off for cleaning testing and replace both front and rear crank seals.

Attachments

• 20220225_191213.jpg
    20220225_191213.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 20220226_132135.jpg
    20220226_132135.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 20220226_205933.jpg
    20220226_205933.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 33
  • 20220226_205942.jpg
    20220226_205942.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 36

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
I know Volvo recommends this way for workshop environments but our lads leave the engine in place and remove the trans down out the bottom of the machine, saves having to mess with the engine totally.

SlatcoAu

I did see that but it won't let me start new threads in there. It just stays light gray and you can't do anything as far as I can see.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That’s why my Volvo question went into other equipment.

tctractors

I get that sfrs4. If I didn't have the shop and didn't need to do the rear seal, I probably would have attempted that.
I have worked on big fleets of Volvo Dumpers and have always removed the transmission by itself from inside the cab, this involves pulling the Transmission back off the engine then locking the torque to the case and rotating the box 90 deg as its lowered down to the floor, this then leaves the flywheel looking at you if the rear crank seal needed replacing, I could do a transmission swap by myself including any repairs to the throttle control and change the oil cooler ready to roll in 3 days, I still have the transmission trolley that bolts to the steering mount but sad to say only gets light used now. tctractors p.s. the front pulley is mounted on a Polygon with a 13/16" A/F socket they can be difficult to remove without the correct tooling, also below the 2 hydraulic pump drives there is an oil drain and strainer fitted that is worth some effort.

Last edited: