1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

A25C Trans replacement

Discussion in 'Other Earthmoving Equipment' started by SlatcoAu, Feb 28, 2022.

1. SlatcoAu

SlatcoAu Well-Known Member

Started on the trans replacement on my A25 this weekend. Bit of work for certain. Some takeaways for those who have not done this:
    - Fuel lines on my truck were similar to airbrake hose from the tank and then to a adapter fitting to some type of metric flare. I had problems finding plugs so ended up having to drain the upper tank to prevent fuel from free flowing out.
    - Make sure your front tie downs are straight otherwise the bumper will not want to come out easily.

All in all not too bad, it will be way harder re-installing.

Next steps are to pull the oil cooler and send it off for cleaning testing and replace both front and rear crank seals.

Attached Files:

2. sfrs4

sfrs4 Senior Member

parts admin
    I know Volvo recommends this way for workshop environments but our lads leave the engine in place and remove the trans down out the bottom of the machine, saves having to mess with the engine totally.

mg2361, John C. and BigWrench55 like this.
  3. SlatcoAu

I get that sfrs4. If I didn't have the shop and didn't need to do the rear seal, I probably would have attempted that.

sfrs4 likes this.
  4. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    Did you not notice that your request for an off-highway truck seciton in the forum had been approved..?
    Not necessary to post in "Other" any more.

5. SlatcoAu

I did see that but it won't let me start new threads in there. It just stays light gray and you can't do anything as far as I can see.

John C. likes this.
  6. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Gotcha............
    Need to bend a few ears in that case.

John C. likes this.
  7. sfrs4

sfrs4 Senior Member

parts admin
    I Just looked and there is no " post new thread" box at the top of the page option for me

John C. and Nige like this.
  8. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Me neither. Ears have been duly bent.

mg2361, John C. and sfrs4 like this.
  9. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    That’s why my Volvo question went into other equipment.

10. tctractors

tctractors Senior Member

I have worked on big fleets of Volvo Dumpers and have always removed the transmission by itself from inside the cab, this involves pulling the Transmission back off the engine then locking the torque to the case and rotating the box 90 deg as its lowered down to the floor, this then leaves the flywheel looking at you if the rear crank seal needed replacing, I could do a transmission swap by myself including any repairs to the throttle control and change the oil cooler ready to roll in 3 days, I still have the transmission trolley that bolts to the steering mount but sad to say only gets light used now. tctractors p.s. the front pulley is mounted on a Polygon with a 13/16" A/F socket they can be difficult to remove without the correct tooling, also below the 2 hydraulic pump drives there is an oil drain and strainer fitted that is worth some effort.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
    Nige, bccat, sfrs4 and 1 other person like this.