• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A Wireless Card vers Satalite Dish

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
I have had Hughs and now I have WildBlue. Max is 512 kbs. My friend has a air card from Sprint his speed is 1400 kbs.
Can I get a card and plug it into my Air-Port, wireless or Hub or would I need dedicated computer to plug into. And then could I use the service on my network like I now do. The real advantage is there is no bandwidth limit download as much as you like.
Wildblue is better than Hughs because Wildblue is based on a 30 days Hughs is 24 hrs. The air card is $59.00 that is only $10.00 more than the Wildblue. But the card is 3 times faster and no band limit. Hope someone has all ready done this. I the country we have little options no cable dsl here.

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
I'm not really up on my knowledge of network stuff personally Darryl. I usually go to www.dslreports.com . it's kind of setup like this forum but for nteworking/internet kinds of things. Most everybody there is very helpfull and you can search around and see if anyone from your area has used either one and stuff like that. Sorry I don't have more to tell you.

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
Between Monticello and Somerset and about 300 feet from the lake. Did some concrete work at Berea Colege a few years ago. Mostly sidewalks and stuff. How'd you wind up in California if you don't mind my asking. Work?

DarrylMueller

Occupation
As you go south from Berea on 75 on the right there is a white hourse barn with silver roof, tobacco barn, and several brick houses. That was my uncles I had the 2 story brick next to it. I moved there from Pa. to work with my uncle training horses, Tennesse Walkers, & excavating. Just no real work there. My Mom went to Berea College, and when I moved there I unloaded my scraper at the College loading dock. My grandma Kavanaugh was also a school teacher there. It's it small world. I still have some cusins left. A real good friend Hubert Johnson is there to he has a backhoe service.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
I have found that there is now a 5 gig cap on all wireless cards & AT&T is charging $500. per gig on overage so I will have to stay on the Wildblue I am around 4.5 gig now. I am real glad I checked some have got $6-$7000. bills for going over.

dal929

I have a Verizon wireless card that has an older unlimited data plan for 59 a month. I use it both on my laptop as well as in an evdo router so that multiple pcs on the LAN can get out. Works well.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
I have a Verizon wireless card that has an older unlimited data plan for 59 a month. I use it both on my laptop as well as in an evdo router so that multiple pcs on the LAN can get out. Works well.

I read some posts that said even the older accounts were not subject to a usage limit have been changed. If yours did not that great.

JonesBros

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck Driver/Fabricator
I have a Verizon Wireless card and my g/f has Hughsnet. Every time it rains or blows hard at her house her internet goes out. However her family uses it on a wireless network in and around her house. I being just the one person that uses internet at my house love my wireless card. I can easily get 2.5 gbps in a big city and 1.8 gbps at my house alone where the only other options is dial up or satellite. Plus I can go anywhere VZW has signal!