• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A Website Full of Welding Information

mitch504

The King's of Welding do, and repeatably state that stick welding produces low quality welds.
Nothing can be further from the truth.
I wonder why they seem to think that.

Probably because THEIR stick welding produces low quality welds. A lot of the denizens of the web refuse to believe anybody is better at something than they are...

Welder Dave

I find it's often the most humble and quiet people that are absolutely brilliant at what they do for a living. Also more than willing to share their knowledge. Only caveat is you have to ask them, they don't just offer it up.

mitch504

Humility is becoming a lost concept these days. A person can learn a lot if they're willing to admit there's room for improvement.

Oh boy! Now you've done it! Somebody better knock me off my soapbox quick before I get banned!

I believe most of younger society's problem can be traced back to the "raise their self-esteem" movement in schools and the parenting guides. If your self-esteem is so high you believe you know everything, how can you learn anything?

My son came to live with me full-time at fourteen, and showed me that he had figured out how to use the drill press. I thought I phrased things carefully, but I explained that was the wrong kind of bit to drill steel, and that if every hole you drilled made a hole in the table, soon there would be no table. I offered to show him the basics that evening.

He was absolutely horrified! He said you should never tell a young person that they were wrong! I said what should you tell them if they were wrong? He was so offended he refused to ever look at machine tools again!

Seventeen years later, we have a good loving relationship, but he is a computer engineer who refuses to use any tools beyond changing a tire.

Truck Shop

I find it's often the most humble and quiet people that are absolutely brilliant at what they do for a living. Also more than willing to share their knowledge. Only caveat is you have to ask them, they don't just offer it up.

I've found there is always a price with those folks, you just don't know till a few years down the road.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Oh boy! Now you've done it! Somebody better knock me off my soapbox quick before I get banned!

I believe most of younger society's problem can be traced back to the "raise their self-esteem" movement in schools and the parenting guides. If your self-esteem is so high you believe you know everything, how can you learn anything?

My son came to live with me full-time at fourteen, and showed me that he had figured out how to use the drill press. I thought I phrased things carefully, but I explained that was the wrong kind of bit to drill steel, and that if every hole you drilled made a hole in the table, soon there would be no table. I offered to show him the basics that evening.

He was absolutely horrified! He said you should never tell a young person that they were wrong! I said what should you tell them if they were wrong? He was so offended he refused to ever look at machine tools again!

Seventeen years later, we have a good loving relationship, but he is a computer engineer who refuses to use any tools beyond changing a tire.
Its a tough call for sure. I hated being told I was wrong when I was younger. Mainly because I was the new/young guy on the crew and felt that if I wasn't doing the job right, the more seasoned fellas would think I wasn't up to the task and the company wouldn't keep me around. I very much wanted to be good at what I do and listened to the advice no matter how bad the blow to the ego was at the time.

Now I've got several years under my belt and I'm seeing just how wrong I was back then. I'm working with a guy barely out of his teens now and I don't at all think he's an idiot or lazy when they make a mistake or take a little longer to get something done. He's green as grass and its expected that he'll screw up now and then. I just do my best to lead by example and take some time to show them the right way if they're struggling.

Last edited:

mitch504

I believe, and have been told many times, that I am good about sharing my knowledge, and I have never been one to fuss or yell if somebody makes a mistake, as long as they own it. If you try to hide your screw up so it comes back later to bite me in the ass, or lie about it, you won't work for me long. I still don't yell, I just don't need you anymore. If you don't own your mistakes, how can you learn from them?

Welder Dave

As long as the young guys show an interest to learn you help them out as much as you can. If they have a cocky attitude like they know it all, then you let make some mistakes. Nothing big but enough they might feel pretty humbled. Some of the worst will ask, Why didn't you tell me? I didn't think you'd listen so why bother or would you have listened to me?

Truck Shop

I tell any of the drivers-{You think I'm a hard ass-stop making excuses for your fack-up, I've been told all
those stories time and time again. You've been at it how long 25 years well I've got you by another 24.
You don't like what I say, then disarm me by telling the truth for a change, fess up and I won't say a word.

Stick-man

What I read was this statement;
"The weld will not be as intricate or high quality as TIG."

I know this statement to be absolutely true. Perhaps one should copy and paste those negative statements or let us know where they are?

https://www.kingsofwelding.com/guides/mig-tig-stick/

While I am not going to re-read the page, after a quick search I can tell you to look at the first chart where it states under Stick and Weld Quality, "LOW". Then below that, under Stick Welding and Cons of Stick Welding it states "Lower Quality Weld".

These statements tell me this sight has little knowledge of welding. Stick welding is the Mother of welding! It has been used to build the the world. And it is still used very widely today. I love stick welding, but I also TIG and run hard, inner and outer shielded wires. Again, I have seen beautiful looking MIG welds that had almost zero penetration to the base metal.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I've always found Lincoln Electric to be the best source for accurate, comprehensive, and relatively unbiased welding information. Of course, you do get recommendations for the appropriate Lincoln product to use.
But seeing as they've been in the game for decades before the WWW started, and they originally built all the best "bullet-proof" welders, I reckon they kind of know their stuff, when it comes to sticking metals together.

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en/Welding-and-Cutting-Resource-Center/Welding-Guides

I'm with stick-man - I may be showing my age too, but I still love stick welding. Seen too many beautiful-looking MIG welds that were merely just that. When it came to the crunch, the MIG welds just fell apart.

terex herder

And Lincoln has published an entire library of books on welding. I've got at least 5, and I don't have them all. These aren't little how-to-do pamphlets, but large hard-bound books full of excellent information by folks that have been there.

Welder Dave

The Procedure Handbook of Welding by Lincoln is considered the bible when it comes to welding and is very reasonably priced. It is also updated fairly regularly. There is input from most of the major players in welding. It is in contrast to the way Lincoln reps. seem to be taught though. Lincoln makes some very good equipment but they are not the be all do all when it comes to welding the reps. try to have you believe. Some Lincoln reps. are quite arrogant.