• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A recent job

AzIron

20210416_103650.jpg 20210416_103713.jpg 20210416_103804.jpg 20210414_074559.jpg

Went back this week and graded the pad out did most of it with the 35 that machine is really growing on me

The biggest thing that needed addressed was the power service to the panel it ran through the new driveway that was getting cut almost 3 feet so we relocated it about 6 foot deep from existing grade the current line was direct burial and only about 2 feet to 3 feet deep in the process we ripped out the sewer line funny part was it was broke when they put the power service in the first time cause it came apart at a fernco coupling witch I reused so the homeowner wasn't put out

I bet i cut and graded close to 200 yards of dirt in about a day and a half

Don.S

The new company i just started for has a 35D with a custome extendable stick that the owners father builds. I have about 3000 hours on a normal 35D and this thing was absolutely amazing. I am pretty excited to use it more.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Personally I don't like cabs on mini's for the work we do. When we need a mini it's a tight spot working around laborers and the cab interferes with visibility and verbal communication.

That and we're big guys in an already small open cab mini.

Good looking job AZ!

It's interesting that the retainer wall is poured block, is that common in your area? Here that would've been a poured wall. We don't see CMU in the residential market very often as most basements and walls are all poured in place.

skyking1

I have Reynaud's Syndrome and both my toes and fingers turn blue way sooner than a normal person. Big boots and gloves are a non-starter in a little mini, so I asked for a cab. Boss was gracious enough to oblige.

AzIron

Do you not end up disgusting at the end of the day with a open cab? I would think its hot, dry and dusty there?
You cant take the cab off to get in the building I can drop the rops on the 35 in 10 minutes with 2 guys plus it about 10 grand more and harder to work on

I have run open rops on about every machine you can think of and i have ran just about all those machines with cabs in july when the ac broke as well moral to the story i really like closed cab machines doubt i will ever buy a mini with a closed cab i only have one open rops backhoe out of 4 and it doesnt get used a lot

AzIron

The new company i just started for has a 35D with a custome extendable stick that the owners father builds. I have about 3000 hours on a normal 35D and this thing was absolutely amazing. I am pretty excited to use it more.

A 18 inch e stick would be a game changer that said we have the long stick version its 18 inches longer than a standard stick a standard stick with a 2 foot e stick would probably be the tool but it might get a touch heavy

AzIron

Personally I don't like cabs on mini's for the work we do. When we need a mini it's a tight spot working around laborers and the cab interferes with visibility and verbal communication.

That and we're big guys in an already small open cab mini.

Good looking job AZ!

It's interesting that the retainer wall is poured block, is that common in your area? Here that would've been a poured wall. We don't see CMU in the residential market very often as most basements and walls are all poured in place.

Most retaining walls here are block until structure demands poured wall that said most basements are poured walls but there are not many basements here so block is king it goes up fast and per job is cheaper than wall forms for finished product so block wins

AzIron

As often as I need to, I can rent a ROPS machine for inside building jobs. I asked and they did 1 in 5 years.
3 jobs since january for the 35 had to take the rops off about every other week for the 17 I have at least 7 different plumbers I dig for that do ti work and starting to find concrete companies needing it to

AzIron

Most new digs get dug with a backhoe minis only leave the yard for job specific stuff or if I am out of backhoes to send to the job

AzIron

20210420_110411.jpg 20210420_125542.jpg
Small little grading job turned into a nice change pace even if it was only 2 days it was supposed to be a couple hours of work then when I showed up to the job sub grade was high by about a foot and a half so we got our change order before we unloaded

What's funny was the surveyor didn't read the physical elevation on there instrument because the cuts on the steks were what the prints said not what the actual cut was with grade being high so we established grade and got cuting 14 loads of dirt later we were done

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
On the block walls, what is used for strong backs? Here a block wall as that will eventually push off and lean away from dirt loading. Most are dead manned with steel rods/strapping to a plate buried in the soil pile.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
My guess would be a wide dead man footing with the wall sitting on the outside edge and the majority of the footing buried behind the wall with a fair amount of rebar turned up into the CMU wall with poured cells. That's the way we do it here. The weight of the backfill sits on the buried footing counterbalancing the force pushing on the wall. Might even have a keyway in the footing to resist sliding forces.

AzIron

Cm called it most retaking walls around here are this way that particular detail was for 6 foot tall had a 6 foot 4 inch wide footing 12 inches thick with a double mat and number 5 j bars every 8 inches to catch the block the center of wall is 16 inches from the outside edge of footing so there is just under 5 foot on the long side of the footing for the dirt to leverage against

No keyway on these details but have done a lot in the past typically keys are on used in spots to lock the footing in so it cant slide into a wash if it's not practical to get it deeper than the wash or in a double wall section where the lower wall is not overly tall but has to hold the load of the upper walls footing cause you cant push the upper wall farther back and flood scour walls

AzIron

20210506_063321.jpg 20210506_063334.jpg
So the lowboy had quite the episode this week front hub had I believe a few stretched lug nuts cause 3 ripped out and the reat snapped witch I have never had happen anything close to before but the tires flew off the front axel on the freeway with a load on and and one got sideways and the rear dual ran over a full tire and rim and launched the trailer pretty good blew the air bags twisted one spring hanger and put a tear in the beam about 16 inches long

Spent 4 hours getting it unloaded and blocked up to get it limped into the yard was only 5 miles on surface streets and it was 105 degrees here that afternoon

AzIron

20210508_075440.jpg 20210508_123954.jpg 20210508_124054.jpg 20210508_124108.jpg
So the following morning called trail eze asked what there procedure for frame repair was and basically it's all standard material nothing special so we straightened the beam out burned it together and put some channel iron stuffiness in to patch it

Pulled the axels off need to replace one spring hanger and new bushings all the way around and since it will never be easier to replace air bags shocks and hoses everything is going back new

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
This has pilot center hubs? if does your next purchase should be a 3/4" torque wrench. The lugs on these do not take well to overtightening as did the old Budd Lugs.