• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A frame ?

Cam85

Calling on some experience here is the scenario prime mover towing a gooseneck built from a 40 foot fridge trailer and I wanna put a susuki Sierra behind it an thinking of an a frame off the bulbar hooked into a ring feeder can this b done legally and will it work.

I an concerned about the front wheels going full lock and dragging it some sort of brace to prevent this on the steering arms spring to mind but I have never tried this b4 am hoping someone on here has and can give me few pointers

Delmer

How've you been Cam?

Had to do some googling to make sure you're talking about what I thought you're talking about. We call that a Geo Tracker and they get towed all the time by old folks in RV's. It's easy as pie. Very little sway or fishtailing. You could tow one with a motorcycle if you really wanted to. I won't say that's legal, or towing it behind a fifth wheel in Australia, that's beyond my pay grade. I THINK it's legal in Iowa, and I've never gotten busted on back roads. tow.jpg

lantraxco

If you're worried about the steer wheels you can always put a couple elastic cords, (Shock cords, bungee straps) on the steering wheel, seems to work. Tow drivers here do it all the time.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
We have a a-frame we made up for a Toyota Hilux pickup, it towed along very well behaved. Just had to remember to turn ignition key past the steering lock...

As far as legal, it must be, surely. (!)

We hang a lights board on the back of pickup, with a extension cable to the lights on tow vehicle. Takes a few minutes but reckon it makes it much more legal looking.

Great fun on our narrow country lanes!

lantraxco

In the the state of Oregon, USA, it is not legal to tow anything behind a trailer, certain big truck combinations being the exceptions.

Jonas302

Legal who knows but we use homemade hitches very similar to the one pictured almost daily just make sure the steering wheel is unlocked and it will follow you like a puppy dog
The only time I see them go to full lock and try do drag the wheels is if you try to back up or if the front wheels try to get stuck like a sharp turn in a sand pit

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
It should be ok Cam,Plenty of grey nomads do it. Best to have a light board on the car thou. It may not like 24 volts going through it.

Queenslander

Not 100% sure, but I think you will have a bit of trouble getting TMR to come to the party.
Would be fine with a shorter rigid, which is what the grey nomads use.
Another option would be to carry the Zook in the trailer itself.

hetkind

I have an tow bar like that, used it to flat tow a 68 dodge D100 with a BMW R80ST in the bed and a dog in the cab half way across the US...behind a overloaded box truck full of household goods! Great fun.

Howard

lantraxco

I have an tow bar like that, used it to flat tow a 68 dodge D100 with a BMW R80ST in the bed and a dog in the cab half way across the US...behind a overloaded box truck full of household goods! Great fun.

Howard

"Me and you and a dog named boo..." :tong

StanRUS

I tow a Ford Ranger with a simple hitch hooked to Service Truck; Service Truck equipment is per law considered a partial load, e.g. required to go thought Scales loaded lane. Never a word about towing or hitch from the CHP!

Cam85

Thank u all I like the bunji cord idear would stiffen the front wheels a a bit on something so light reckon I'm gunna go n c the D. O. T. and look in to the legalities

hetkind

It looks to me that the dog in question was riding in the cab of the towed truck....

That would be correct...the yellow lab was in the cab of the 68 Dodge D100, three cats in boxes in the right floor board of the POS box truck, and the boxer in the front passenger seat of the black Mazda 3 five door that was driven by the wife. It was a terrible move. Left NE Texas at 6 am, didn't stop until we got to NE Tennessee 22 hours later. The box truck was unable to maintain 70 mph highway speeds most of the way, even on the flat. Climbing the hills reduced convey speed to about 20 mph.

The R80ST was ridden back to Texas for the next load...to pickup the Ram 1500ST truck, motorcycle trailer with two more bikes, and a 35' fifth wheeler trailer hauler by a commercial hauler. Terrible to pack up house, shop and toys for a cross country move.

The dog in question finally passed away last year after a good long life.

Howard

norite

Caster and some toe in are the front end specs. which will keep the wheels running straight. We usually call a hitch like that a tow bar. Here you need safety chains, just like hooking up a trailer.

lantraxco

That would be correct...the yellow lab was in the cab of the 68 Dodge D100, three cats in boxes in the right floor board of the POS box truck, and the boxer in the front passenger seat of the black Mazda 3 five door that was driven by the wife. It was a terrible move. Left NE Texas at 6 am, didn't stop until we got to NE Tennessee 22 hours later. The box truck was unable to maintain 70 mph highway speeds most of the way, even on the flat. Climbing the hills reduced convey speed to about 20 mph.

The R80ST was ridden back to Texas for the next load...to pickup the Ram 1500ST truck, motorcycle trailer with two more bikes, and a 35' fifth wheeler trailer hauler by a commercial hauler. Terrible to pack up house, shop and toys for a cross country move.

The dog in question finally passed away last year after a good long life.

Howard

"following, my elusive dreams and schemes...." Gotta do what you gotta do...

Good dog is a treasure for sure.