• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few random pictures

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Just a few pictures from crane job this spring
And my son backfilling a new house it's going to have a heated concrete floor
More to come

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
No the poor thing is a german short haired pointer.
I think this picture was taken last fall after a good days hunt

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
The picture on top of the stacker was a couple weeks ago, the ready mix plant i use had a stacker motor go out so in the morning i went and pulled the old motor and put the new one in, No problem. I just nicely got back driving nails when the phone rings and it them again, the mechanics had to reposition the motor and the electrition said, we are done can we test it and then we can go, well they turned it on and the torsion flipped it off the mounts and it fell right down into the bottom of the sand hopper ( not happy )

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
IMG_0948.jpg
I went on a client call this morning and saw this. I wonder how that truck on top of that silo?
some-one with too much time on there hands.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
image.jpg
My son played counter weight today he is running the excavator .

td25c

Counter weight is important . :)

Looks like it went well . Septic tanks ?

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
image.jpgimage.jpg
Not much action on the crane page so I'll do my part. This is a house I set today first truss was at 80 ft. I worked blind until 16 ft. From the front. I had a small mishap when I was setting up, the A2B wieght got caught on the tail at the becket and before I noticed I had a mess on my winch. Now I likely have to cut about 40 ft. Line off. Does any deviation from straight have to be cut out or only if it's kinked ?

td25c

That's a bummer , sounds like you had a "bird nest " on the drum .

If only a slight bend in the cable & no broken wire I would reeve out & clamp it in a vice the straiten the section .

Good looking home Tradesman ! Concrete crew sure did a nice job on the brick ledge .:thumbsup

We are currently tearing down some old homes .

Running a crane or boom truck keep it smooth & soft when setting something .

Running excavator on a tear down job stuffing 40 yard containers with trash get funky & crunchy :D

Total contrast but I love it .:)

crane operator

A good annual inspector will write you up for any deformity in the cable. Rotation resistant cable is especially susceptible to deformity when getting wrapped wrong.

If it is just a small wave in the line, I would visually inspect the line, and make a written record.

If you've got a full drum of cable on the winch, and just don't like how it looks, cut it off. You won't miss 40'.

The best way to see exactly how bad the cable wave is, scope out 70' of boom, up at 65 deg. Let your cable out until the ball is almost touching the ground. Telescope in, slacking the cable by setting the ball just on the ground. Here's where you'll see the wave the worst. Then to retighten the cable on the drum, just scope out another 20' of boom, and let out cable to get rid of the slack.

I messed up, and cut off about 30' of cable this spring, I was swinging the counterweight through trees, and a oak branch held up the winch line, popped it over to the side and I pinched it up on the side of the drum.

In a perfect world, things like that wouldn't happen.:)

Knepptune

Things like that don't happen in the world of flat set-up spots, good riggers, competent tag-line operators and close easy picks. Always think I need to find that world but it might be a boring place. Lol

Generally if I'm sitting in the cab and I can see the deforminity from my seat, it's gonna be cut out. If it's not visible unless your looking at it very closely and there's no crushed or broken wires I won't worry about it.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
image.jpg
Spent some time setting up and tearing down for this job today, I was setting some docks at the lake today. I layed out 40' of 3/4" plywood and 16' of plastic mats, then we used a mat on each side with 6 6x6 timbers and a 36" square pad. I set one of the docks out 70' and it felt as solid as a gravel parking lot.

crane operator

I take it the plywood was to eliminate tracks in the yards? I've never had much luck if its soft with a single layer of plywood. I've always laid a double layer, otherwise I disappear where the joints are. The cribbing under the jacks looks great. I always push the guys to use enough cribbing (width wise). The last thing you need in the middle of a pick, is to have a jack start sinking away.

I was actually curious about your plastic mats. I have a tree outfit I work with, that has it for their loaders and bucket trucks. I just was never sure if they would hold up under crane use, or make much difference. They really like theirs, but a 20,000lb bucket truck is a far cry from a 50,000 or 95,000lb crane. If I remember right they were kind of high priced, and I don't have a nice deck like that boom truck to haul them on:)

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Might look silly but guys like the owner think nothing of giving me $200 for mat rental and $120 an hour while I set up and tear down, but if I mark up their lawn I'm the one paying to re-sod it for them. When the matts came up our foot prints left bigger marks than the crane

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Crane op I only have 4 plastic matts they're too expensive for me to have more but they work really well. I usually don't travel with them or else I have a hard time getting paid for their use, but when they are needed I charge $100 for them. In really wet conditions you still mark up the ground but they will carry me across a fresh wet hydro trench no problem, I love them

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
image.jpgimage.jpg
I set theses barn timbers for a new house yesterday the bent in the second picture was two ton.
This old barn frame does not support anything it's just a decoration that stands independently of the frame of the house. Really cool!

crane operator

So is that metric tons? or do you still use imperial? I didn't know if the crane was set up with metric, or if that's what you guys use in your construction either. Do you use meters and centimeters framing?

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
It was 4000 lbs. I can work in either, our residential work we do in imperial. But commercial work of any size is in metric
I order concrete in cubic meters, really I do everything in metric except build a house.
It's common around my area to write metric tonn imperial ton, I'm not sure if that's a local farmer thing or if it's more common. My lmi is in imperial. Working in metric is really quite easy no dividing fractions.