• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Nice pictures...........looks like quite a project. What city is the build in?

Metalman this project is located in the Magic City - AKA Birmingham, Alabama - my hometown where I was born and raised.:)

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The 325 has earned its keep over the last several months - (knocks on wood :oops:) since the issue with the auxillary valve.

It's moved a couple thousand CY's and hammered a couple 100 CY's of old concrete foundations on the arena job. Just turned 2K hours a week or so ago.
Just nicely run in then.....:cool:
It made me think of the 994K I put together at the end of August. That hit 2k hours at the end of last month.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Just nicely run in then.....:cool:
It made me think of the 994K I put together at the end of August. That hit 2k hours at the end of last month.

Nige that's why I like being a site work contractor. It's like being an excavator, demolition man, plumber, concrete mason, landscaper and carpenter all in a days work. Always something new.:)

TBH I'd jump off the high wall if I had to work in a mine day in and day out doing and looking at the same thing every day, month and year.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
As the arena project turns.

24" core drill though the 14" thick concrete wall of the wet well at the pump station for an 18" RCP install. This is the pump station that has 2 Cat nat gas engines running 8" pumps.

The new electrical power and control wires for the pump station floats and Cats in the grey conduit. As usual space was at a premium.

IMG_1100 (1).jpeg

Core complete. 18" RCP installed, grouted and stone backfill.

IMG_1603 (1).jpeg

Now this is something I have never seen in my career and far as I know is not even available to purchase.

A 15" RCP 45 degree fitting.

IMG_1600 (1).jpeg

It's a well done pre-cast unit.

IMG_1601.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
18" RCP from the wet well to an overflow in the loading dock parking lot.

This is how to lay pipe and make money. Crew didn't get started laying pipe out of the manhole until 9 AM due to other trades on the site.

Regardless they put 19 - 8' sticks of 18" RCP in the ground with every joint grouted by 5 PM. This pic was taken around 2:30 in the afternoon. I'll put this 3 man crew against any 3 man crew in a pipe laying competition.;)

IMG_1612.jpeg

View from the manhole towards the loading dock and the retaining wall the 18" goes through into the loading dock.

IMG_1614.jpeg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
At least can bench out slot not require slip frame wall shoring and all the added OSHA Trench safety requirements.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
DM we get so much more production when we can bench a trench instead of using boxes. When a job comes up that requires a box the price per FT goes up substantially.

We got with the GC's field engineer and concrete crew to make us a box out for the 18" RCP overflow for the loading dock. Saved us the time and expense of calling the sawing company out to cut a hole.

The line and green dots are our alignment shots - hit pretty damn close to center.

IMG_0003.jpeg

We're not concrete guys but can cobble forms together every once in a while.

IMG_0009.jpeg

IMG_0012.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Space is always a premium on projects like this. The glaziers have 3 man lifts and the steel erectors have 2 on site.

Various pre-fab structural steel is scattered across the site...:rolleyes:

IMG_0017.jpeg

The curtain wall will be all glass. Glaziers are installing all the mullions with the 2 lifts on the right.

IMG_0013.jpeg

Thought this was a neat pic - lowering R2D2 behind the retainer wall to compact some backfill.

IMG_0022.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Nice work CM! We have a similar laser (GL422N) I really like it. Right on with that pipe alignment!!

MM55 I really don't know how we laid storm pipe in the past without it. We also have a Topcon in the pipe laser that cost 2.5 times what a GL does but we can lay storm faster on alignment with the GL. Now when it comes to sanitary it's a different story.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The 18" RCP through the retainer wall turned out alright. The first round of mudding the gaps, the crew will rub the blockout one more time with some portland and sand to clean it up a bit.

IMG_0038.jpeg

Finished up the lake project. Looking back up the new parking lot.

IMG_0025.jpeg

This work was done by our second crew who is really good at finish work. The dumpster pad roof should withstand a F5 tornado. 6x6 tube steel with 4x6 ceiling joists holding up a tin roof...:rolleyes:

IMG_0028.jpeg

Headwall for the 18" RCP installed in the parking lot a couple of months ago. Nice shot of the finish work the crew did - ready to lay sod.:D

IMG_0029 (1).jpeg

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Around on the front of the building cleaning up and final grading with the 321DL. This section of the building with the porch is the new main dining room.

IMG_0035.jpeg

We had to work the transition from the building down the slope and still keep an access road to the other side of the building.

IMG_0030 (1).jpeg

The access road being built.
IMG_0034 (1).jpeg

The 2013 F350 we bought new still making money.;) Put a transmission in her over the holidays at 180K miles for just over $6k - it's got another 200K miles on it.:D

IMG_0026.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
As the arena sorta turns -

So JLG showed up and wanted to shoot a prime time man lift TV commercial...:rolleyes:.

I really think they could've fit another one in there.o_O

IMG_1637 (1).jpeg

One of the JLG's went rouge as actors and actresses are known to do.

IMG_1646.jpeg

Just missed the 2- 4" exhausts from the nat gas Cat engines powering the pumps for the pump station that drains the entire project. This is the pump station we cut the top off of.

IMG_1648.jpeg

It would've been a very, very expensive fix..:cool:

IMG_1647.jpeg

This was the glaziers lift. Instead of driving it down the street, removing a few fence panels and driving it in they decided to drive around the pump station between the parking meters, gas meter (live) and the exhaust. Brought one of those fancy rotator wreckers out with the axle behind the cab like one would see on those Canadian trucks.:D

No JLG didn't shoot a commercial - just another day on a congested city jobsite.:p

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Pic of the front of the addition as the glass is going up. This area is where the sat trucks and performer's buses will be parked.

IMG_1652.jpeg

There are very poor soils in the loading dock area that we had to undercut. As the schedule goes we had to start the UC before the concrete guys were finished with the retaining walls.

1.5-2' of UC, place surge rock and top off with DGB. First load of surge rock about to be spread out with the trusty D5G.

IMG_1650.jpeg

Loading dock finished, watered and nuke tested. The danger tape is to remind the other trades with lulls and manlifts that if they damage the subgrade it will cost them dearly.

IMG_1656.jpeg

Last edited:

Don.S

I find it very interesting what different areas use to to accomplish the same task. The truck with the second steer behind the cab we call a twelve wheeler. Most can carry about 20 ton in the box what do you guys use to accomplish the same task? A ten wheeler here can carry around 15 ton.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Don our regular tri-axle dumps, which are a heavy tandems with a lift axles set forward of the tandems, can legally haul 25 tons on local and state roads but not the Interstate highways.

This is a typical tri-axle here - KW with big Cummins and either an 8LL or Allison auto. OX Hardox bed with highlift gate. Good for 25 tons legally.

IMG_0598.jpeg

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Undercutting the upper loading dock area that will be parking for the touring buses and sat trucks. The glass curtain wall is wrapping up so maybe we can a few of those man lifts out of here.:rolleyes:

IMG_1671.jpeg

2004 D5G XL still cutting the grade. At 17 years old it's getting close to a break on it's auto insurance.:D

IMG_1664.jpeg

325FL with 48" bucket stockpiling the undercut for load out.

IMG_1668.jpeg