• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

colson04

Once I did have our 321 frozen to the ground so hard that we couldn't get it to move.

We park the Deere 550G on heavy oak planks starting in the late fall because of this. We usually don't touch the dozer on the farm all fall and we get a lot of rain. Dozer would settle down and freeze in tight if we didn't park it in the planks. We usually run it a fair amount mid to late winter doing fence row clearing type work so the planks allow us to go get it when we are ready for it.

Don.S

But you have to worry about snakes. I can deal with a little cold and not have critters that try to kill you.
Ya this time of the year sucks cause its cold at night and warmer in the day. Gotta dig out tracks and everything else every night and park on some planks of wood. Seen guys leave vibrating plates over night then lift then by the lifting hook in the morning and destroy the mounts.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Ahh the no shoulders aren't that big of a worry - they are more scared of humans than well most humans are scared of them.:eek::D

Now spiders and other creepy crawly things are something to watch out for.o_O

dirty4fun

We have a lot of red clay in some areas, others sand. Seems to be no rime nor reason as to where you are going to find it. Where I grew up a mile from town the clay was 25' deep in some areas. Hit some of that when coring out for a street, the city was suppling the dump trucks to haul it away. The one driver was always wanting just a little more, but only a 1/4 of a bucket full. I finally packed it with the bucket after the last dump, he had to shovel off a lot of the load. After that even I just wanted him to move ahead he was gone.

It is that time of the year where you spend a lot of time cleaning tracks and making sure that they aren't frozen down in the morning. You kind of wonder if you are making any money with all the time you spend trying to clean up equipment so that it doesn't freeze down.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
As the arena turns.

Excavating the upper area of the loading dock where the performers buses and media trucks will be housed. The lower area on the other side of the retaining wall being formed is the freight loading dock.

IMG_1429.jpeg

18" RCP through the loading dock retaining wall to catch the basin for the trench drain in the truck well.

IMG_1420.jpeg

Pre-cast 2x3 structure for the basin of the trench drain. It had to be field adjusted. The new Milwaukee concrete blades work like a champ ya'll! I highly recommend them. ;)

IMG_1419.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Had to take our 325 inside the new addition to hammer out some old foundations in the escalator pit. The old footings were buried 3-4' below the building slab sub-grade.

20 minutes of hammering and 20 minutes of wiggling back out the red iron structure.

IMG_1424.jpeg

More old foundations in the loading dock area. The original builders of the arena demo'd the old structures 1' or so below finished grade and left them in place.

This was some sort of concrete trough.

IMG_1433.jpeg

IMG_1432.jpeg

Once again we found another boiler and a metal tank. The boiler was riveted together, probably turn of the 20th century or a little older.

IMG_1434.jpeg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Gray Hydraulic Clay, ICKY!! Gets the least bit of water swells like a balloon here, ground will actually rise ad fall with water table infiltration in spots. White Fire clay is found north of here in multiple counties, purity is good enough are shipping to 'China' for porcelain production and by the BARGE load down to Jefferson City MO where is transferred to rail cars. Trucking company locally went to full liners on their equipment to stop the sticking issues.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
What blade did you use? How much did you cut with it? I need to cut up some concrete floor in the middle of a restaurant kitchen. Not much maybe 6' total cutting.

Just joking around oarwhat - I was referring to the Milwaukee sawzall on the pre-cast box. Think the guys used it to cut some rebar out of the way.

On the topic of concrete blades we just order from our local construction supply house. Couldn't tell you the brand.

Gray Hydraulic Clay, ICKY!! Gets the least bit of water swells like a balloon here, ground will actually rise ad fall with water table infiltration in spots. White Fire clay is found north of here in multiple counties, purity is good enough are shipping to 'China' for porcelain production and by the BARGE load down to Jefferson City MO where is transferred to rail cars. Trucking company locally went to full liners on their equipment to stop the sticking issues.

Funny you say that DM. Literally just up the street we did another project with the same GC as this job for the same owner.

Its the white building with the grey trim in the upper right hand corner of this pic.

IMG_1387.jpeg

The tenant on the end of that building is a high brow potter. The GC had to install a massive power service in order to supply enough juice for the electric kilns. Don't ask me why they didn't go with nat gas.:rolleyes:

She sends her place settings all over the world for fancy 5 star restaurants.

We thought about taking a bucket or two up and see if she could make a couple of bowls or plates for the owner as a peace offering for the change order we sent them for the undercutting..:oops::D

Mark13

What blade did you use? How much did you cut with it? I need to cut up some concrete floor in the middle of a restaurant kitchen. Not much maybe 6' total cutting.

For the demo saws I've been told the Ameri cut blades are quite good. A buddy does a ton of concrete work and swears by them.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
How’s that 325 treating you these days?

The 325 has earned its keep over the last several months - (knocks on wood :oops:) since the issue with the auxillary valve.

It's moved a couple thousand CY's and hammered a couple 100 CY's of old concrete foundations on the arena job. Just turned 2K hours a week or so ago.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Topping out beam for the arena project.

IMG_1565.jpeg

IMG_1580.jpeg

View from the new upper club level. My 350 and 279 are in the foreground.

IMG_1593.jpeg

View of the new entrance. The glazing contractor is installing the mulls on the structural steel and have been in our way with 80' boom lifts while we've been trying to install a portion of the storm sewer. :rolleyes: Our 325 is in the lower right of the pic.

IMG_1591.jpeg