• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

mitch504

Now you posted a clarification to your answer while I posted an acknowledgement of your answer!

I am not going to post anymore in this thread for 10 minutes to let it settle, or we could go on all night.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
CM1995 to engineer...."turn around"
Why?
So I can slap you in the back of the head!

Wtf?

Ed

Ed I decided a long time ago to just put in the ground what the engineer designed to spec without argument and get paid for it. Sometimes we get paid again to remove said design - it pays the bills.:D

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Now you posted a clarification to your answer while I posted an acknowledgement of your answer!

I am not going to post anymore in this thread for 10 minutes to let it settle, or we could go on all night.

It's all good Mitch. With what's going on in this world right now going back and forth about dissimilar couplings for RCP to DIP is a welcome discussion in my book.

mitch504

It's all good Mitch. With what's going on in this world right now going back and forth about dissimilar couplings for RCP to DIP is a welcome discussion in my book.

Ok, times up!

Yep, our disjointed conversation about pipe joints is a lot more pleasant than most of what's on the internet right now.

I went back and added the word "pipe" to avoid getting into a whole other conversation.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Overview of of the storm back flow vault and 60" storm manhole. The 18" RCP running back to the bottom left of the pic is for the trench drain at the loading dock.

IMG_1318.jpeg

Another view of the 18" RCP going towards the trench drain at the loading dock.

IMG_1313.jpeg

Pic from inside the arena towards the new additon.

IMG_1323 (2).jpeg

This week we demo'd the existing sign base in front of the arena. 36" 1/2" metal tubes filled with 2 h-beams on either side filled with concrete. It took all week to hammer and excavate out to 3' below finish grade.

IMG_1357 (1).jpeg

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
Hmmm - I can see where the Butt Jointed DIP going to the RCP was a element of discussion.
Thank you for mentioning that butt jointed connection method with that wrap product - was a much appreciated mention. I looked at an example video and watched them tighten those straps and what with the fiber reinforcing .... seems like quite a respectable solution. Takes "ice and water shield" to a new level indeed. The adhesive will likely dramatically improve its grip while being 'pressured' by those straps. [I use the word pressure such as in 'pressure sensitive adhesive']

I have seen many instances where valves are down sized from the pipe size and have inquired - there always is an answer which usually involves some hydraulic issue: such as headloss, velocity, scouring, etc etc.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I have seen many instances where valves are down sized from the pipe size and have inquired - there always is an answer which usually involves some hydraulic issue: such as headloss, velocity, scouring, etc etc.

Well that's the screwy part Bob - not only did we downsize from 18" RCP to 16" DIP there was a rubber one way check valve behind the gate valve. One of these - https://www.procoproducts.com/product-category/check-valve-manufacturers/

Not only did they choke the pipe down on a storm line but what happens when the valve gets plugged up with dip bottles, potato chip bags, etc? Since this is located in the loading dock and "star" tour bus area there is no telling what sort of debris will make it into the trench 60' long trench drain and 3 grate inlets that feed this check valve.

Well here's a learning lesson that we already knew to do but just didn't do it...

The vault was 14' deep with a bottom middle riser and top. We had very detailed shop drawings that I checked prior to casting which checked out on the money. So the crew sets the box, riser and top. Specs called for Conseal and water plug on the joints and black mastic rolled on the outside for "waterproofing."

A final grade check on the top of the vault shows it's sitting .17' or 2" too high. The crew goes to check the flow line - within .02' which was a relief. Well it turns out the riser was .17' too tall. Get on the horn with my supplier and they casted a new one which the crew swapped out.

If this vault had been out in the parking lot we might have been able to make the grade work. However this vault is 6-8' from the loading dock edge that has a 1/4" per FT slope away from the building. The edge of the dock would've been lower than the top of the vault.

Moral - even though you have good detailed shop drawings always check what's been delivered first. :rolleyes:o_O

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Looks like an interesting job! Nice equipment you have there CM1995!

Thanks Metalman. The 308 in the pics above is from the GC's internal rental fleet although I would like to have an excavator that size.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
We had hurricane turned tropical storm Zeta came through our area knocking down trees and turning off power to 2M people. The wife and were without power from 2 AM Wed to 7:30 PM last Thursday. Luckily it was mild temps. Our Honda generator powered all 3 refrigerators, chest freezer and lights.

A lot of our Alabama Power crews were already down on the coast repairing damage from the last hurricane so crews were stretched thin. Last Tuesday I was headed to our other project on the lake where there were a lot of trees down and came across a line crew from New Brunswick all the way down in Alabama stringing wires back up.

IMG_1358.jpeg

We thank them for coming down and hope that had a safe trip home.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Got a little side job on the project where we demo'd the 2 metal buildings upthread and used the processor with the steel shears on. When we removed the slabs of the old buildings we knew we would be back undercutting the site for the new building.

Nice no nasty grey blue Alabama expansive clay. The brown dirt above the black layer was fill placed many, many years ago.

You can make pottery with this stuff.o_O

IMG_1389 (2).jpeg

Undercutting the building pad and loading out tri-axles. Silver Bullet in the background with Lucy in the back seat.

The building next door is one of those places where people pay to be locked in a room and then try to figure out how to get out - I don't get it.:cool:. And their building is sitting on the same ****.:D

IMG_1378.jpeg

IMG_1377.jpeg

Nasty, nasty, nasty. All of this material went to our dump. I pushed it off with our 953 and it was like pudding sliding off the edge.:D

IMG_1387 (2).jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The "Fix" was undercut from 4' to 7', place a 1-2' layer of #4 stone compacted into the soft clay and bridge over with some very nice sandy clay. This was some very nice blade dirt.

IMG_1380.jpeg

IMG_1381.jpeg

Never knowing what the weather will bring us we only wanted to open up sections of the pad at a time. Basically undercut, place stone, roll stone in then place 18" bridge lift of red dirt.

IMG_1383 (1).jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The Auburn War Wagon that's well known on game day in God's Country - AKA Auburn, Alabama home to Auburn University - complete with Capitan America no doubt.:D

IMG_1398.jpeg

As the arena turns. Steel is almost complete and we're prep'ing the sub-grade for the slab on grade.

IMG_1402.jpeg

IMG_1403.jpeg

It's a tight fit.

IMG_1406.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
How do you get that crap out of a dump truck looks like mess waiting to happen

AZ the crap actually came out of the trucks pretty clean as it stuck together. It probably helped that the tri-axles all had OX round dump bodies.

Don.S

The worst is hauling in the winter with out a heated box. Spray the box down with calcium chloride helps but its always a disaster. Last winter we did a rehabilitation so the dirt had to go to a special dump that had a big line up. Every load was rock solid by the time you got in and had to be dug out with excavator.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The worst is hauling in the winter with out a heated box. Spray the box down with calcium chloride helps but its always a disaster. Last winter we did a rehabilitation so the dirt had to go to a special dump that had a big line up. Every load was rock solid by the time you got in and had to be dug out with excavator.

Wow. Don that's something we never have to worry about down here. Sometimes a pre-loaded truck load of washed #57's or 8910 will freeze over the top but it's just a crust, everything underneath isn't frozen so it comes out like normal.

Once I did have our 321 frozen to the ground so hard that we couldn't get it to move.