• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
This week we really used the multi-processor on the concrete retaining walls - this tool is awesome for lack of a better word!

It will go through a 8-16" reinforced concrete wall as fast as it will cycle, which is pretty quick considering the force. The MP has the demo jaws with the rebar cutter.

IMG_0718.jpeg

The walls are all clad with pre-cast panels that are easily removed once the imbed plates at the top of the wall are munched. The taller pre-cast panels required the 330 to hold them in place after the imbeds were cut until the panel was crunched down to a manageable size for the 324E to handle.

IMG_0722.jpeg

Started this section of wall Tuesday of this week. This was 2 days later on Thursday around 1 PM. Once the wall got down below the shelf that held the pre-cast the wall becomes 24" thick which is too much for this processor. We had to use the hammer to pinnacle the top of the footing and then munch down - rinse and repeat.

IMG_0733.jpeg

Our best superintendent, I wouldn't have taken this job without him being on board.

IMG_0736.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
This wall has been on the schedule to take down over the last 3 weeks. In order to take it down we had to shut down access to the arena floor. Original schedule had 15 days to remove which was way too much. Project super asked how many days we needed in the schedule meeting and I said 5.

Started this morning around 7:30.

IMG_0745.jpeg

330 having to hold the larger pre-cast panel in place while the processor worked it down. That was the last panel we took off today. The wall will demo to the man door however we'll have to build a plywood cover over that area in order to protect it.

IMG_0748.jpg

No BS - this was lunchtime today..

IMG_0751.jpeg

I like this processor so much that we might have one in the fleet one day if we run across another project with this much concrete demo.:D

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
how much do you charge an hour for the hammer if you don't mind me asking

Catwelder I don't know yet. The majority of our work is hard bid or a negotiated set price with unit pricing for overages such as rock, unsuitable soils, under drains, etc.

I'm thinking in the $250-275 hr range but haven't nailed it down yet and don't know what my competition is charging hourly. The cost basis for this hammer was how much one costs to rent and how long I needed it on this job, basically the rental would've been more than the purchase price of the hammer.

catwelder

Occupation
welder
Catwelder I don't know yet. The majority of our work is hard bid or a negotiated set price with unit pricing for overages such as rock, unsuitable soils, under drains, etc.

I'm thinking in the $250-275 hr range but haven't nailed it down yet and don't know what my competition is charging hourly. The cost basis for this hammer was how much one costs to rent and how long I needed it on this job, basically the rental would've been more than the purchase price of the hammer.
welp im go with that and run with it so thank you for the input

dirty4fun

Don't you love it when your plans come together, and even more when things go much faster than you thought. Having a supervisor who you can work with makes a job much more enjoyable. I tore down a bunch of stuff for our local bank last year. Then the company that is charge of building the new, took over the supervisor's head is almost as big as his stomach. Everything went bad, most every sub finished the first part, and won't be coming back for the biggest part, mostly because of the supervisor. He came over to where I was working and started running his mouth, I told him he was in charge of the project on the other side of the street and needed to get over there. I had an agreement with the bank. That I would do the job, without the supervisor or not at all.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I get 260 an hour here for a 2000lbs hammer if I was pushing a 4000lbs it would be close to 300 but that's our market

The last time I had a hammer rented by the hour was a 336FL with a H160, I charged it out at $350 HR and made good money even with the rental bill, labor and fuel. Ran it 35-40 billable hours a week for 3 months. Pics of that job are back in the thread somewhere.

i went with 275 just because I don't wanna deal with but they agreed to the price so lucky me I get to send one of my guys to go hammer for a month

Catwelder what machine and size hammer are you running?

catwelder

Occupation
welder
The last time I had a hammer rented by the hour was a 336FL with a H160, I charged it out at $350 HR and made good money even with the rental bill, labor and fuel. Ran it 35-40 billable hours a week for 3 months. Pics of that job are back in the thread somewhere.

Catwelder what machine and size hammer are you running?
well the jcb had to go back because they dint agree to the contract till Monday and the dealer had it rented out to someone but im renting a Kobelco 350 with labounty hammer rated at 11000 over all to rent it for a month and all the fuel and for my guy its gonna put me closer to about 30k spent so ill make a decent amount after if nothing breaks or goes to hell

crane operator

All your guys talk of hammering rock, I spotted this on a jobsite the other day. I think you guys aren't getting enough pressure on the hammer, looks like you still have tracks on the ground.... :)

20200601_140346 (2).jpg

AzIron

All your guys talk of hammering rock, I spotted this on a jobsite the other day. I think you guys aren't getting enough pressure on the hammer, looks like you still have tracks on the ground.... :)

View attachment 218769
It's called shake hammering the shake from dropping the whole machine on the ground hammers the operator

Some mechanics going to have a good job working on drives

I own all my hammers but I figure for my 2000lbs cost about 800 a day for a hammer and another for a machine so that's around 200 an hour just to look at it so add operator fuel and everything on top and that's my standard rate

On my thread I had a 210 with a 4000lbs hammer got 325 an hour for it

DGODGR

The guy in crane operator's picture is a fantastic example of how to lose money with a breaker.
i went with 275 just because I don't wanna deal with but they agreed to the price so lucky me I get to send one of my guys to go hammer for a month

well the jcb had to go back because they dint agree to the contract till Monday and the dealer had it rented out to someone but im renting a Kobelco 350 with labounty hammer rated at 11000 over all to rent it for a month and all the fuel and for my guy its gonna put me closer to about 30k spent so ill make a decent amount after if nothing breaks or goes to hell
I think you are underpriced at 275/hr with and 11k# hammer. I feel bad as it may be a missed opportunity. For that money maybe you should take the 350 back and get a 250-270 with a 5,000# breaker. Of course, that just my 2 cents worth (You can go ahead and mail me a check:)).

catwelder

Occupation
welder
The guy in crane operator's picture is a fantastic example of how to lose money with a breaker.

I think you are underpriced at 275/hr with and 11k# hammer. I feel bad as it may be a missed opportunity. For that money maybe you should take the 350 back and get a 250-270 with a 5,000# breaker. Of course, that just my 2 cents worth (You can go ahead and mail me a check:)).
eh it be fine mostly hopefully my math came out fine at 275 an hour I just want the job done as soon as possible first time bidding something like this so live and learn and hope to never work for this farm again

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Some progress from this week on the arena job.

Hammering out the last of the large footing for the tallest part of the retainer wall we processed down last week.

IMG_0764.jpeg
The multi-processor and hammer working together to reduce the remaining footer down to a manageable size in order for the rented 330 to be able to pull it out. It's easier to process the concrete when the energy/force from the hammer or processor has a place to go for lack of a better term. When it's in the dirt the ground absorbs the shock instead of breaking the concrete.

IMG_0766.jpeg
My role in this project is push paper and keep the dump pushed off in my spare time. We've hauled around 2K loads of dirt and debris in which all were pushed off with our trusty 953C. I've said it once and I'll say it again - if I had only one machine to make a living with it would be a track loader and I'm not talking CTL..:D

IMG_0758.jpeg

It helps pass the time at the dump when you have an assistant who is eager to learn the handiness of a 953C.;)

IMG_0770.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Some pics from the last couple of weeks -

Part of our contract is to demo the top portion of an underground sump pump that drains the entire arena, exposition center, concert hall and associated hotels and restaurants in the complex. There are 3 parts to this pump station. The top room has a ceiling height from 12-14' tall to the middle slab. The lower slab and wet well are below the middle slab with a 12' ceiling height.

Wet well.jpg

There are two 70's era natural gas fired Cats that run the two pumps in the pump chamber room. Our scope is to remove the "roof" that was the prior sidewalk/ramp, walls and cut down the vents for the new "roof"/sidewalk to be constructed. It's an interesting part of this job to say the least.

IMG_0374.jpeg

We hired Sunbelt Rentals shoring division to shore the "roof" up then saw cut the roof in sections and lift it out using a pipe pic through a core drilled hole. Neat and clean. After the roof is removed the walls will be processed down and track sawed to the new elevation.

All the power and control cables for the existing floats and pumps had to be demo'd in order to remove the upper roof portion. The GC hired United pump division to install to 8" diesel powered pumps to bypass the wet well during construction.

I forgot the brand pumps but they are powered by JD engines.

IMG_0786.jpeg

Discharge lines to the curb inlet. That demo debris has since been cleaned up and hauled off, that's not the kind of jobsite we leave but the GC had UR scheduled so it was installed.:rolleyes:

IMG_0781.jpeg

The structure will be demolished down close to the grade the discharge hoses on on.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
One for Tradesman and Craneop. The foundation crew arrived on site this week and started drilling caissons. They are using a Link Belt crawler crane to swing in the casing sections and rebar cages.

IMG_0803.jpeg

We were exposing a fiber optic and 6" high pressure gas main over the existing box culvert that we are going to replace a 64' section of and this rolled out of the bucket, almost unscathed. There is a little corrosion around the seams but not bad for being buried for at least 30 years. Who remembers pop tops?

IMG_0798.jpeg

The UR guys had a lube skid made by LubeMate in one of their trucks that caught my eye. Self contained with 2 product tanks and 1 used oil with reels for each tank. Might be an option for our service needs instead of the lube trailer in the other thread I started.

IMG_0780.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Couple of pics from the lake job.

Framers have started and our crew was finishing out the cut for the parking lot.

IMG_0790.jpeg
The foundation drains were in our scope of work for the lake project. The first portion being installed. 4" sock pipe and #57 stone, no filter fabric was spec'd..

IMG_0791.jpeg

So one of the crews were at the yard working on a stand for our new hammer. They heard whining and whimpering coming from the yard next door underneath the Gator parked by the fence. This little guy either snuck into the yard or was left on purpose, we don't know.

IMG_0818.jpeg
The yard next door belongs to a large concrete formwork contractor and the yard guys had already left. Being the old soft grizzled construction guys this crew is this was about 5 minutes later after hearing the cries..

61412500521__870CA3F4-7606-4C82-B164-CDC797A12661.jpeg
Since then the little guy has gotten a flea and tick bath, collar, leash and a new home. Good pup, smart with a good disposition. He found them and wouldn't take no for an answer. They said he drank two bottles of water and ate a whole left over sausage biscuit.:D

They named him Dipstick because he's all light brown with a black tip on his tail.:p

Last edited: