• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
We are big dog people in our company and have the fortunate opportunity to bring them with us to work on most of our jobs.

View attachment 285544

This now not so little fella showed up whining as a pup next door from our equipment yard on the concrete forming company's lot. One of our guys took him home and the rest is history. Fast forward a year and Dipstick has turned into quite the gentleman.

View attachment 285545

Lucy knows her serial numbers which has made her a favorite at the Cat parts counter. I think the biggest disappointment in her life was when she found out that she could not order an actual cat, at the Cat house.

View attachment 285546

Sorry, I'm old school, nothing politically or socially correct about me. With that said, nothing would make a parts guys day more than having both a pretty woman and a dog sitting on the opposite side of his counter.

Oxbow

Wrapping up the wet job spraying the muck disposal area.

A little hydro-seeding from our erosion control sub. Nice T800 6x6.

View attachment 285547

Shot back towards the entrance with swale grassed.

View attachment 285548

Retention pond finished up the best we could. Not the best as far as finish work but considering there is pudding in and around 70% of it - not too bad.

The water is all ground water coming in from above and below the pond.

View attachment 285549

Upper swale. All the wet areas are ground water leaching in. Clear water currently runs in the bottom of the ditch. My best guess is it might dry up in Sept/Oct.

View attachment 285550
Nice work. Good looking job!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Thanks Oxbow!

We're not the biggest, we're not the cheapest however we strive to do the best work.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Haven't posted in my thread in a while so let's catch up.

We just starting using a new time keeping app that also has daily reports where the guys can take pics of the jobs and it logs them into specific projects automatically. We'll see how it goes. So far I really like the ease of use.

A little fork modification. We obtained these long forks from a project that were left over and the GC didn't know who they belonged to or who rented them. Told us he was either going to put them in the dumpster or we could have them. Since they would fit a skid steer fork frame - We'll take them please - thank you.

We have 3 CTL fork carriages with one being the hydraulic type that slides in and out. Took one of the manual ones and installed the longer forks for carrying pipe. Have a job coming up with a fair amount of 15" and 18" RCP both round and elliptical that these forks will be the ticket for.

IMG_4837.jpeg

We have a small drive-thru only coffee shop coming up in the next couple of weeks on a recently developed commercial parcel. A very old and very well respected full service site work company in the area put in the street, utilities and turn out. This company is known for quality work, the kind of company you want to be.

Anyway snapped a pic of their pipe forks for their 963. I think I'm going to remodel the current pair of bucket forks for our 953 and remake them in this fashion.

IMG_4811.jpeg

The forks are tall enough so you can see the tines while loading pipe. You can't see the tines on the forks we have. The wood bumper is a nice touch to keep from chipping the bell or spigot of the pipe. Like I said the guys are 1st class just look at the condition of their 963. That's a black hood '63 which makes it older than my 2004 953.

IMG_4810.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Back at the remodel project downtown.

Steel jockeys have the first part of the roof rebuilt.

IMG_4734.jpeg

Nothing like a project in the city with the room to move about and stretch your legs. T&M to haul off 40-50 loads of footing and misc concrete demo debris generated from the building.

GC found multiple floors within the building which resulted in deeper excavations by the engineer to achieve bearing capacity for the interior column footings and grade beams. This generated a lot of muck and various hardcore debris.

This is about a 3rd of the original pile.

IMG_4736.jpeg

Fortunately for us we had plenty of access to load the tri-axles out. :rolleyes:

IMG_4732.jpeg

Spoils and debris cleaned up with access road back on grade. All of this was T&M outside our contract. More on that later.

IMG_4765.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Some updates on our projects.

Finished up the parking repair for now.

IMG_4769.jpeg

The lulls are relentless though so we'll be back for another change order..:cool:

IMG_4773.jpeg

IMG_4775 (1).jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Catch up on the warehouse project.

Slab poured. 12,000 GSF with 5 roll-up doors and 5,000 SF of office, 2500 SF on 2 levels.

IMG_4870.jpeg

We don't do concrete especially slabs however I thought this was a slick trick. Down here we don't have to worry about frost and our joke of a frost line IBC wise is 12" which it never freezes that much.

The concrete guys dug a footing, set their slab edge footings, tied rebar and set anchor bolts then poured the footing leaving a rough surface and dowels to tie the slab into. In order to keep their drive pins for the slab edge forms from forever being part of the build they used short pieces of thin PVC for sleeves. They kicked the edge forms like normal to keep them straight.

Thought is was pretty slick, hadn't seen that before.

IMG_4951.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Hydroseed did OK. With all the rain we fought at the beginning of this project as soon as the seed went down the rain stopped.. :rolleyes:

The green is the much disposal area we wasted all that crap in. It's finally starting to set up enough you can run a 279 across it.

IMG_4941.jpeg

IMG_4945.jpeg

The infamous "pond". The one almost whooped us for sure.

Last winter fighting the rain. Outlet structure and outflow piping.

IMG_4416.jpeg

A couple of weeks ago. Had a 2" rain in 2 hours that washed around the outlet structure so we had to add some rip-rap to the back side. Don't know what we did before we finally bought a mini (305E).

IMG_4947.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The warehouse project is for a friend of mine that owns a foundation repair business. We have been waiting on 3 jobs to permit so since we were slow installed the primary power and data conduits from the future pole to be set by APCO to the future 3 phase transformer pad.

2 - 5" conduits is APCO spec. One is for the cable and the other is a spare.

May-18-2023.jpg

Predetermined location for the new pole. APCO engineer was real precise pinpointing the location. He retrieved a white stake out of the back of his white Explorer walked over and stuck in the ground then wrapped some APCO WORK SAFE tape around it. The guys moved it 4' towards the project since the stake was directly over the city's 10" water main..

IMG_4858.jpeg

FWIW if you are ever installing primary power conduits and data in the same ditch it is good practice to have at least 18" of separation between the two conduits. If not the electrical static can interfere with the data lines. Not sure if it affects fiber which most data around here is now but it's just good practice IMO.

May-17-2023 (6).jpg

Covered, 2" data installed and warning tape.

IMG_4859.jpeg

Last edited:

skyking1

Not really a thing. The primary power is laid in next to another big main, in their conduit. In my experience the conduit never has a problem. If the wire goes to crap they can and would just pull it in again.
I might scratch it into a bench on my side of the trench as I backfill theirs, that is easy enough.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Normally here in new subdivision road install the power will be on one side of the road with water and gas on the other side with respective laterals servicing all the lots. Power stub on one side of the lot, water lateral on the other and gas in the middle.

Now individual services from ROW to the house is anyone's guess.

skyking1

There is a big power main on the street ROW that runs next to the property line. The power company wants me to dig right next to their existing main conduit, 500' back to a new pedestal site for the house. I'll backfill and ribbon it @24" down and then put whatever I want on top. The water service and any CATV will be coming down that trench from the same location. I'll toss a spare in there for what-have-ya and a second water line.
Cheap insurance with the ground open.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
A little add on at the warehouse project.

The ditch as designed make a choke point at the entrance for tractor trailers coming and going. They also need more employee parking as the rear of the building is for loading and unloading.

208 LF of 18" CL III RCP with 2 yard inlets. Used round knock-out pre-cast structures since we didn't have time to wait on custom and they are about the same the price. The tops are all standard and a stock item.

Pipe installed back to the cross-over we installed a couple of weeks ago and the middle yard inlet.

Finally found some good dirt on this job on the front parcel.

IMG_4939.jpeg

Pipe supplier goofed and sent an extra 32' (4 joints) of pipe. Owner wanted to keep it and add it to the other end of the crossover to pipe more of the ditch. Eventually we'll pipe it to the detention pond.

IMG_4944.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Lower 32' of pipe partially backfilled. This area will be brought up to grade when the final parking lot is clipped. There is also a packaged sewer lift station that will be installed between the pipe and the pipe of dirt in the background.

IMG_5030.jpeg

Looking back up the line.

IMG_5029.jpeg

End of the line yard inlet. Rip-rapped.

279D 01 had a bottom roller go out so 02 was brought from the shop. $320 later it was back into service. Side note - Cat replacement part was cheaper with the 25% discount than the aftermarket ones online. Original Cat price was $420 and the ones I was looking at online ran from $330 to over $400 plus shipping. Even with the discount is was a no brainer.

Parts guy called us and said "I need to sell something!". Foreman told him we needed a bottom roller but $420 was too much. Parts guy - "Let see what I can do." Like magic a discount. :D

IMG_4932.jpeg

There is a ton of water that comes down that ditch from the other side of highway.

Fiberglass base for the 3 phase transformer set with primary and secondary conduits stubbed up.

IMG_4931.jpeg

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Interesting project we mob'd into last week.

A small tool and equipment rental addition to one of the big box home stores. The building addition is around 4K SF so it's small and not much to get the pad prep'd however there is a 36" RCP storm line and 3 inlets to demo and reroute with 36" HDPE.

We don't know yet if the pipe has settled, collapsed or it was just poor backfill techniques that led to the settlement in the parking lot. The settlement is on top of the pipe and interestingly enough almost uniform across the failure.

This inlet demos and we tie back into the existing line about where the white arrow points to the stop bar.

The tool rental addition will start at the front of the building and go approx 1/2 down.

IMG_5042 (1).jpeg

I haven't seen modern day RCP collapse so our best guess is poor backfill around the pipe.

The intriguing part is how uniform the settlement is. Looking down the line. Some of the settlement is 12-18".

IMG_5038 (1).jpeg

This inlet demos and we are supposed to tie in 10-12' behind it. The settlement continues on past the proposed tie in so there may be a change order in the future.

IMG_5043.jpeg

We'll just have to see what's under there.

IMG_5044.jpeg