• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I haven't been on in quite some time, but decided to check in and read this.

We have quite a bit of difference in the use of GPS than most of you, as almost all we do is stream restoration. We do not have to do any take-offs as the designers provide us with a surface, and our RFPs include quantities for most items. Some are tremendously complex including pictures and orientation of logs used in wood structures, riffle, glide, and pool grading, and floodplain grading. Some include just simple linework and surfaces. We often require different layers for each component as there gets to be too much information on one screen, primarily linework.

With the help of our Sitech representative we have been able to learn how to import files in xml, csv for control points, and dwg. We use TBC to export to GCS 900, and it is good to be able to export layers individually as necessary. We have CB 460 on a D6T, 345D, and 320D. A couple of months ago we purchased a next Gen 330 which comes with 2D capabilities and purchased the 3D portion from Trimble. It cost $7500 to unlock the computer in the 330 in order to be able to use 3D. I believe Trimble offers an "Advanced" version for better function of the automatic capabilities, but I understand that is an additional $8,000, and we really don't use the automatic features much anyway. Seems we are getting to the point where despite buying the machine, one doesn't necessarily own all of its capabilities. I imagine soon everything will be on a yearly subscription basis. The Next Gen machines are electric over hydraulic rather than pilot controls, and I hated it at first as the feel of the controls wasn't nearly as nice as our older machines, but we are getting used to them and they can be adjusted.

One thing that the rover and TBC has been very beneficial for is being able to do pre and post construction surveys, and to be able to produce earthwork reports comparing the two surfaces. On one project that we bid on there was a requirement to hire a licensed surveyor to perform pre and post surveys to establish a quantity of material moved, as that cost line item was an actual quantity. There was approximately 110,000 cubic yards of mine tailings to move in order to restore a floodplain. We bid that item including the surveyor' cost, which was about $25,000, and included drone flights but he could only assure accuracy to within .3' as the tailings had come out of a dredge and were not at all uniform. In an alternate proposal included in our proposal we suggested that we would flat top the tailings, shoot the cut area with our rover, and then shoot it again once we had completed construction, and then provide the data to the engineer as well as our Sitech Rep to calculate the volume of tailings moved. They Project Manager accepted our alternative calculating that even if our data was off in our favor by 5% or so the savings in not having to hire a licensed surveyor would be a push. We prepared our own earthwork report via TBC (very easy to do) and came out within 100 cubic yards of what the engineer calculated using our data. I am not smart enough to know exactly why there was any difference, but I believe it had to do with trimming triangles on the surface edges.

The Next Gen is pretty impressive as the screen in the machine shows shading in between lines, and really helps to see what we are building beyond the reach of the boom. The download process is different as the calibration file is integrated into TBC and then exported from there, whereas with the CB460 we are able to add a cfg file independently on the jump drive. The Next Gen also contains the ability to add files/designs directly to the machine from the office, though I don't see us using that feature.

As I am sure many of you have learned, the old free TBC versions did not require the licensing to complete most of the tasks that we use. I bought a lower level of license for our newer version (under duress), but still have the older version just in case.

I bet you will find that after becoming comfortable with the new technology there is no way you would ever go back, but swallowing the initial cost is less than palatable!

Thank you for taking the time to share that info.

We're looking 1st quarter at TBC, it appears we are going to grow into the need to produce our own models and have more control over the data for our jobs.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
What have you been up to CM1995? I hope you and your family are doing well. I miss reading and seeing the updates on your projects

Just working Peej in this topsy turvy world of construction. Fam is all good thank you for asking, hope you and yours are well too.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Well let's update our projects.

Finished up the dining hall at the private school well at least our part.

Landscape architects... concrete guys had a blast. Architect actually had coordinates for each of those corners. No expense spared!

IMG_3987 (1).jpeg

IMG_4009 (1).jpeg

Sidewalk back to the town hall building. I forget how many OAC meetings were held over this sidewalk, the good thing is we were not required to be there.

IMG_3985.jpeg

Inside turned out nice.

IMG_4076.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Couple of pics of the paint store finish up.

Nothing like the sparky digging through your 15" HDPE storm drain line, not telling anyone and using a piece of metal building skin to cover the gapping hole in the top. The "repair" is on the spoil pile.

If the GC didn't hire us to dig a spare conduit line to the transformer we would've never found it. **** likes this really pisses me off as all they had to do was tell someone. I sent a hefty back charge to the GC.

IMG_4005 (1).jpeg

Friend of mine did the concrete slab and parking lot. They do good work. The round grate inlet is the 14' deep or so water quality unit we installed prior.

IMG_4025.jpeg

Retainer wall and rear parking turned out well.

IMG_4029 (1).jpeg

There is no comment for this other than the roof leaders were an add on requested by the GC. Typical 8" HDPE pipe that we stub up cut pieces to be trimmed down upon gutter installation. We couldn't get the stub ups any closer as the footing protruded out that far and we don't hammer on footings.

Like I said no comment...

IMG_4074.jpeg

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
yikes!
Explain "14' deep water quality unit"

I think I posted pics upthread but if I didn't here they are. The water quality unit is a Cascade Separator by Contech which is basically a trash and sediment filter.

This unit was roughly 14' deep to the bottom of the sump. Flow lines in and out were 3' deep or so. Basically it's a 48" round precast structure with a plastic weir to funnel the incoming water down and filter any trash out. The sediment falls to the bottom of the sump and where it needs to be vacuumed out on a periodic basis.

IMG_2958 (1).jpeg

IMG_2960 (1).jpeg

The plastic baffle can be seen in this pic. 15" HP HDPE pipe in and out. The in pipe is on the left so the baffle inside the structure directs the flow down. The opening in the plastic baffle is 12-14" IIRC so most small debris and all sediment falls into the sump.

The gas line was live.

IMG_2962 (1).jpeg

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Back at the parking lot downtown.

Cut down to subgrade and ready for a proof roll. Loaded tri-axle with lift axle up as spec's call for loaded tandem. A little extra weight never hurt anybody.;)

IMG_4037.jpeg

80% of the parking lot was fine however the southeast corner was not so good.

IMG_4062.jpeg

Dirt doc said cut a foot out, lay down bi-axle geogrid then 6" of #4's topped off with ALDOT 825B (DGB).

Area cut out and geo-grid installed.

IMG_2002 (1).jpeg

Couple loads of 4's ready to go down. Weather cooperated that day.

IMG_2004.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
4's down. I didn't get many pics after the 825B went down. Everything tightened up nicely. 325FL slinging some base.

IMG_4178.jpeg

Wanted to keep the 85K tri-axles off the lift and also keep equipment movement IE twisting and turning to a minimum so placed the 4's and 825B with the 325F and spread with 279D in smooth long pushes.

IMG_4176.jpeg

savman

Have you proof rolled it again?

I have become a believer in the geogrid....were you able go direct to Tensar?

we used triax on super horrible conditions with 6" 34's, 6" 57s for a drain layer (encapsulated top and bottom with fabric), and 12" GAB. Passed proof roll on first pass.

Asphalt has been down over a year with no issues.

Dirt doc said it was worst subgrade he'd ever seen in 25 years in the biz.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Have you proof rolled it again?

I have become a believer in the geogrid....were you able go direct to Tensar?

No we didn't proof roll it again since the dirt doc didn't want to, long story. The owner is getting hammered with CO's on the building to the tune of $1M over budget so the parking lot is taking a back seat for now. There will be another 6" of 825B the paver will place before 2" of binder and 1" seal. Geogrid, 1.5' of rock and 3" of asphalt will be fine for a lightly loaded car parking lot, no heavy truck traffic. We did exactly what the engineer said with documentation so it's their parking lot if it fails.

We used a Haynes geo equivalent in lieu of Tensar. There is a local Haynes distributorship and our salesman had really good pricing per roll compared to Tensar. They also carry all sorts of geo fabrics, grids and erosion control items.

Geogrid is great material.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Parking lot project also had an underground detention system with a bioswale down the center. Basically the parking lot drains to the middle where the bioswale runs almost the entire center length. 8" HDPE pipe runs the length of the swale with Nyoplast drain basins. 10" HDPE runs from the swale to the detention system. A sidewalk breaks the bioswale in the center.

Grading sheet showing swale, piping and detention system in addition to the existing and proposed grades.

Untitled.jpeg

The underground detention system was originally spec'd with a modular system that resembled plastic milk crates assembled on site. The system is very labor intensive, I received a quote from the manufacturer for $14,000 to fabricate the modules on site and install. I proposed an alternate plastic barrel type system similar to StormTech called Cultech. Basically it's the same system as Stormtech just cheaper.

Cutting the hole out for the detention system. Used the cut from the detention system to fill out part of the parking lot. I got the roller...I always get the roller..:rolleyes:

IMG_4045.jpeg

Excavation complete.

IMG_4050.jpeg

Back to the difference between the milk crate type modules spec'd that required $14K worth of labor to install and the alternate I suggested. 3 guys installed all the chambers in 1/2 day including the manifolds and 2 10" HDPE tie ins.

Typical chamber system. Woven fabric on the manifold row to prevent the incoming water from scouring the #4 stone. For the manifold row the chambers have one solid end. The side holes had to be cut out, we used a Milwaukee oscillating tool which worked great. There are smaller chambers that connect the manifold row together.

IMG_4094.jpeg

The rows are not as straight as they could be but some of the chambers were deformed, at least that's what we're going with.:oops::D

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
More on the Cultech system.

Manifold row on the upper side. 10" HDPE coming into the chambers on the bottom right of the pic. On side note we find it's easier to install these plastic chambers when you screw the lips together on the preceding chamber. We use 1.5" drywall screws.

IMG_4093.jpeg

10" HDPE side connection from lower bioswale. Guys hit the invert spot on.

IMG_4090.jpeg

Spec allowed #4's for fill. 325FL placing the first backfill. Before anyone gets carried away with full on backfilling the rows need to be scotched.

IMG_4099 (1).jpeg

Here was the tricky part. The north side of the system restricted access to place backfill due to the silt and site fencing. So we reached as far as we could with the 325 and dumped 4's. Then we carefully pushed the 4's with a 279D making sure to cast the last part of the bucket forward to scotch the last two chambers on the right in the pic ahead of the fill lift if that makes sense.

It worked as the chambers didn't shift but it was a slow go.

IMG_4104.jpeg

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Each chamber has a cutout for a clean out or inspection port. This design called for one on the upper intake and one on the lower out flow.

The clean outs consist of a 6" Inserta Tee into the chamber, mission coupling to 6" SDR 35 pipe with Nyoplast fittings for a cast iron cover. Went together easy.

IMG_4121.jpeg

Lower/outfall clean out and pre-cast structures. 15" HP HDPE pipe left the detention system into a manhole and then to the over flow structure which is a 4x4 yard inlet. Specs called to cut the 3 sides of the yard inlet down which made it look goofy but it's what the engineer called for.

IMG_4120.jpeg

15" HDPE into the outflow/yard inlet then 8" HDPE out of the yard inlet to discharge. The 4" HDPE pipe is the underdrain tied into the 6" drainage layer below the chambers. This is installed in order to completely "dry" the system out after a rain event.

IMG_4114.jpeg

Outflow button up and keeping with the reduce, re-use, recycle theme we busted up some onsite concrete that didn't have any metal in it for rip-rap. No sense in having a truck bring in 2-3 CY.

The yard inlet is not as goofy looking after backfill.

IMG_4168.jpeg