• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
My guess is poor kids going to get paid and will about cover his losses and will learn from it because everyone else involved saw it coming and let him crash and burn

Hope he realizes that how many people are keeping him from getting run over that seems to be rare these days everyone I know including myself has had a job like that great experience it will about make your pride hide under the table tho

My thoughts as well but I'm from the old school "baptism by fire" crowd. If you're going to be dumb ya' gotta be tough and work harder.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Update on the "clearing kid"

The tree he put on the building poked a couple of holes in the shingles and roof decking. Problem is the 3 dimensional shingles are 20 years old and possibly not made anymore and impossible to match. Where the tree landed is on the front of the building where every new patient arrives.

Long story short it looks like the kids insurance company will be footing the bill for a new roof to the tune of $50-70K. We'll see how all that works out.

Storm structures delivered, second string mob'd in - D5G and 321DL with one starter - 279D 02.:D

IMG_2419.jpeg

Moved the D5G with the L9000 and tag as it's too tight for the towing service's lowboy to get in. Can't reiterate online how slowwww that truck is on the HWY.:rolleyes:. Great off road though.:p

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
So our Bomag trench roller has some sort of electrical gremlin between the remote and machine that 2 different rental houses that are Bomag dealers can't seem to diagnose and fix. The little Bomag has earned its intial purchase price over the years and made our company money along the way.

Looking for a replacement and we've had better luck with Wacker as far as trench rollers go as parts are more readily available compared to Bomag. Wacker remotes can be rebuilt by a company out of NC where Bomag remotes have to go to a dealer.

Picked this Wacker up on IP a couple of weeks ago. 2016 with 300 or so hours on it for $7,700 total with all fees.

Ordered Wacker yellow paint and a new decal set to get rid of the Sunbelt green and logos - last thing we want is anyone on the job site thinking this is still a rental unit.:D

IMG_2413.jpeg

Pretty straight unit for a rental with 2 new lenses and one new eye. The 2016's were the first year Wacker added the top remote receiver to help cover the gaps in the remote to machine communication.

Lucy approved the purchase.:)

IMG_2414.jpeg

The only issue so far is nicks in the steering cylinder. We'll take it off and send it to a local shop to have some a new chrome rod welded on and cylinder re-packed.

IMG_2415.jpeg

AzIron

L 10 cummins in a ford truck about as powerful as a 3208 or a dt 466 the worst part about those motors is they are indestructible so you never upgrade in a reasonable time so it's always slow

As for the roof 20 bucks says GL policy deductible is half the job price

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
L 10 cummins in a ford truck about as powerful as a 3208 or a dt 466 the worst part about those motors is they are indestructible so you never upgrade in a reasonable time so it's always slow

As for the roof 20 bucks says GL policy deductible is half the job price

No doubt! The old girl is one hell of a site truck though. Double locking rears on walking beam. Kicked around the idea of re-powering with 13L Detroit and 4560 Allison - that would make a nice ride although we'd have to spend some $$ on upgrading the A/C and interior.:D

$20 says the roof issue ends up in a lawsuit..:p

AzIron

In all seriousness that kid will never forget that job now I hope he is able to recover from the loss and then the claim
Will they hold his money till its resolved

You dont want to repower it they cant baja an l10 across site like they could a 13 liter the chassis would start to complain as it twist to pieces

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
GC is holding holding his money till it's resolved. Kid got some money up front but don't know how much.

The real lesson is for his insurance company as they should vet who they write policies for. Unfortunately insurance companies do not vet their customers like they should and we professional contractors pay for that in our premiums.:cool:

Re-powering the ol' girl is a pipe dream - not worth the time or money but fun to think about from time to time.:D

AzIron

And there is the poster child of going into buissness to makes lots of money and not having the depth of knowledge and the financial were withal to be successful

There are a few guys I know here kinda same style they more or less price work a little above wage they never really understood pricing for risk to capital project investment material seems to always save there bacon but they draw there credit line a lot I assume they will not survive if interest goes up

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
And there is the poster child of going into buissness to makes lots of money and not having the depth of knowledge and the financial were withal to be successful

Big ideas and dreams with limited experience is tough, we've all ben through it and have the scars to prove. Baptism by fire is the best way to learn in my experience. The tough survive.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
There's a reason we say we started with nothing and still have most of that left lol

He'll learn

hvy 1ton

Moved the D5G with the L9000 and tag as it's too tight for the towing service's lowboy to get in. Can't reiterate online how slowwww that truck is on the HWY.:rolleyes:. Great off road though.:p

I didn't think you even had plates for the Ford.

Trench roller will look good with some new paint and decals. I regret not trying harder on the couple that I bid on. My problem/salvation with most auction stuff is I don't need it, I just want it and bid accordingly.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I didn't think you even had plates for the Ford.

Trench roller will look good with some new paint and decals. I regret not trying harder on the couple that I bid on. My problem/salvation with most auction stuff is I don't need it, I just want it and bid accordingly.

The plates aren't that bad for it but the insurance is pricey. We keep it road legal to move it from site to site and the occasional short move of our smaller stuff.

The Wacker yellow came in Thursday and the new decal set came in Friday so she'll get a make over in the next week or so.

Some stuff I bid in the off chance of getting it real cheap. Decided to get rid of the Bomag and we need 2 trench rollers in order to keep 1 running on the job. UR has some 2016's for sale in the $14-15K range local and within 1 day driving distance so I had figured up to $8-9K was the auction budget plus transport. The auction was extended several times and I guess I wore the other guy out.

Does anyone need or want a mechanics special Bomag trench roller cheap? I'll load.:D

petepilot

The plates aren't that bad for it but the insurance is pricey. We keep it road legal to move it from site to site and the occasional short move of our smaller stuff.

The Wacker yellow came in Thursday and the new decal set came in Friday so she'll get a make over in the next week or so.

Some stuff I bid in the off chance of getting it real cheap. Decided to get rid of the Bomag and we need 2 trench rollers in order to keep 1 running on the job. UR has some 2016's for sale in the $14-15K range local and within 1 day driving distance so I had figured up to $8-9K was the auction budget plus transport. The auction was extended several times and I guess I wore the other guy out.

Does anyone need or want a mechanics special Bomag trench roller cheap? I'll load.:D
whats cheap ?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation

hvy 1ton

I think you did good on the trench roller. Machine looks good and only 300 hrs. I’d say you did real good.

Especially with some of the sillyness I've witnessed at auctions lately:
  • P45 forks with bent tine $1030/new price $1037
  • PA30 auger drive $3650/new price $2850
  • used augers that went for $650 each/new $400-600
That was all stuff the local deere store had in stock or nearby.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Kicking around the idea to go to Orlando in Feb for the big auctions and hit the parks, basically a vacation the better 1/2 and I can write off. Never been to a big RB auction before.