• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

skyking1

IIRC we were quoted $3700 a year which is reasonable and comes with all the updates as they come out.

LOL - You may be getting all the hard stuff because you can do it.

Talked to the SteelWrist guys at Conexpo and was impressed with the quality of the unit. They were a little salty on the price for one for our 305E.
I'm not sold on those yet. They are building a new school nearby and they had a steelwrist JD50 in their lineup. It does a lot of "dust control"
PXL_20240401_231342891.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I love commercial work. Sometimes it makes no sense at all but the money is good.

At the lab project -

So we removed the trees and other site improvements, undercut the building area 2' per geo report, proof rolled it which passed then filled up to subgrade with structural fill. All observed and inspected by the dirt doc.

Concrete crew comes in and starts digging footings only to find topsoil, roots and other not so good for a new building stuff under the footings 5-6' below subgrade.

Can almost see the 2-3' of red structural fill we hauled in and compacted on the center section of dirt left standing.

IMG_6407.jpeg

Structural plans called for the BOF (bottom of footing) to be 6'8" BFF (below finish floor) in the main building area and 8'-8" in the loading dock area that basically hangs off the edge of the slope.

IMG_6409.jpeg

IMG_6455.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
After some engineering deliberation the dirt docs came up with a plan to excavate 3/4 of the building pad 4' below BOF and fill back with structural fill. So we got paid to haul in structural fill, place and compact and now we are being pad to cut it all out, haul it back to the pit and bring in new fill.

Called the guy that owns the pit and is also a friend of mine and asked - "You wanna get paid to take the dirt back you sold to us last week?". :D

We mob'd the 321 back in since there is a nasty tree that put the first scratch on the 325 when it left.

IMG_6472.jpeg

Had to go down another 3' in the loading dock area for a total of 11' BBF due to topsoil, roots and loose soil under the footing.

IMG_6480.jpeg

When they built the building they just pushed everything left over into this area as it was just landscape and not structural. The black seam is a thin bed of coal.

IMG_6479.jpeg

The dirt we hauled out was a nice sandy topsoil. My friend who has the dirt pit took it all and plans on re-selling to homeowners as the material is excellent "yard" dirt. I hauled 3 loads in our dump trailer to my house to fill in a low area.

IMG_6477.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Filling it back in. The fill we are bringing in is some of the best dirt we have in the area and is quite the joy to work with.

2' or so of fill placed, compacted and tested. Had to use a 279D and a trench roller to place and compact the fill due to space constraints and the lab didn't want a large vibratory roller that close to the building. They were worried it would vibrate their machines inside.

Slow going but it went in without a hitch.

IMG_6493.jpeg

Brought the structural fill out as far as we could.

IMG_6491.jpeg

Nuke testing. Not our total station, it's the concrete guys. Since the GC could not get us valid control points we didn't use our model so they threw in a few points for the UC.

Apr-6-2024 (1).jpg

Even with a nuke gauge it's always good practice to proof roll it with a loaded truck. Loaded tri-axle pushing around 85,000 lbs. It doesn't lie.

Apr-6-2024.jpg

63 caveman

Every Goe report I have ever read (that cost a good bit of money) ends the same way."This Report does not guarantee the actual soils condition and is not responsible for any discrepancies"

Often the report will show problems with the sight and I have to wonder if the PE even bothered to look at it?

oarwhat

We had this happen twice. First time all the footings and piers were installed. Then they decide the entire building needs 4' of fill removed. Got paid but a real pain in the butt.
Second one the Geo report shows no problems. We strip the building area . We then find black dirt under the top layer of fill. I say it's topsoil and not noted on report. GC wants us to remove and replace at our expense. WE say no way not on report. Dirt guy comes out and takes a look. He says it's ok to build on it . I think he approved it to save him the expense of removal. Sure seemed like topsoil to me.

skyking1

It's as if the engineer types have never done anything in their life, ever.
What about a design that simply states:
Remove native material 2' below footings and 2' below the rest of the site.
Import structural fill.
Order of operation:
Make the first cut to 2' minus.
Lay out the footings.
Overex 2' deep and at least 18" wide for formwork.
This makes the fill stack oversized too for the footings.
"It's a thing of beauty, Billy"

That is what common sense would dictate, and pretty much where you are arriving at after a bunch of spinning wheels and wasted time. Sheesh!

Last edited: