• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A different "oil dry" absorbent

Old Doug

Atco what does it cost to get rid of your oil filters? Or do they take them for free because of geting to by your used oil. I also wonder if you crush them if they can be sold as scrap iron?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Atco what does it cost to get rid of your oil filters? Or do they take them for free because of geting to by your used oil. I also wonder if you crush them if they can be sold as scrap iron?

I can't remember what the cost is Old Doug, that ticket goes to the book keeper. I do have a company that takes my waste oil, filters, antifreeze, any oil type waste, just don't recall what we pay for the service. The way the EPA laws are about contamination anymore, I don't like the risks, I like having a service take care of that for me. :)

Old Doug

If used oil is worth as much there as it is here they should be paying you. I know alot of small shops here their filters end up in the land fill. I have thought about starting a service to pick them up if i can crush them and sell them for scrap iron.

Andrew_D

"Here", we don't pay for used oil disposal. Have a company that supplied us with 55 gal drums with lids to throw the filters in. We have an older 200 gal tank in the back of the shop that the used oil goes in. When we are full (or when they are in the area), they stop by and swap drums for an empty, pump out the tank, etc. Rules for burning used oil are getting tighter here. Also many shops don't want to be bothered with it because the maintenance cost on the furnace is higher. (Maybe they need to filter better???)

Andrew

Smith3129874

Hey man, that seems like a really good product - kind of sounds like something I use a lot. I keep a bag of SpillFix around to clean the fuel spills at my place. Have you ever heard of it?

chrisbowles

We use pig brand absorbance pads. They are more expensive upfront but the cleanup is alot faster and alot less contamination. I think it's cheaper in long run when you figure clean up cost and possible repair failure due to contamination. They make great toolbox liners

Shimmy1

Not sure if you can get away with it in your area, but I burn my filters out. Then the scrap dealers will buy them for sheet metal price. I don't use Cat filters, so not sure what you would do with those.

lantraxco

Peat will probably make a great fire starter after it soaks up oil. Yeah, the diatomite won't burn, but let me tell ya, if it's got oil or fuel in it, it makes a great wick!

chrisbowles

I turn the oil filters upside down and let them drain for a few days over an oil catch pan and throw them in with my scrap. I put air filters in also. Never had scrap yard complain. I kept up with it this year, I got over 2k dollars in stuff we use to throw away.

brianbulldozer

I wonder if they could get Capt. Joe Hazelwood (of Exxon Valdez fame) to be their pitchman. Now that would be an infomercial worth watching.

Last edited:

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
I don't like peat-sorb for cleaning up oil anywhere. It mostly makes a mess and it terrible for getting it all picked back up. Usually it still looks like there was a spill due to the peat laying everywhere. I used to be a big fan of the socks, pads, and pillows(Name your fav brand), but if you ever throw them in a bag, the petroleum leaks right back out of them. I do like that the petroleum specific ones don't absorb water though!

The only thing I have found that won't let the oil drain back out is a product by Oil Solutions. They have a website: www.cleaningupoil.com . Pretty neat stuff. And no, I don't work for them, but I have recently started trying out their products. They have a liquid and a powder.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Our used oil service picks up our filters for free, pays us per gallon for the used oil.