1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

A couple of videos of the old wheel dozer

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by Clawed Backster, May 30, 2022.

1. Clawed Backster

Clawed Backster Senior Member

Thought I would post some videos of my old straight frame Michigan wheel dozer. My youngest daughter Katy filmed it this morning. The little woman wanted some trees removed, and the ground smoothed out so the area would be easier to mow. I had to move some dirt to fill in a low spot.

2. mowingman

mowingman Senior Member

Retired
    Neat old rig. I bet there are not many of those still around. Especially in that good operating condition.
    Jeff

DMiller likes this.
  3. Jonas302

Jonas302 Senior Member

Looks like your having a little to much fun for lawn and garden work lol

DMiller and Clawed Backster like this.
  4. Clawed Backster

Running that old thing is my happy place.
    If it is warm outside, that dozer can have been sitting for a year, and I basically just touch the start button and it is purring.

balls2go and DMiller like this.
  5. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    Nice. A friend has the big brother to yours. A 375 wheel dozer with a 14 ft blade. It was used to push taconite piles in the ship loading facility on Lake Superior at Taconite Harbor, MN. Yours looks to be in very clean shape.

DB2 and DMiller like this.
  6. Clawed Backster

Nice! I'd love to see some pictures, if possible.
    I know that Michigan made a 480 model of the old straight frame style, but I would bet that they have all been scrapped by now.

DMiller and old-iron-habit like this.
  7. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    I will take some next time I get to their yard. If it is in the yard? They use it occasionally to push topsoil off in a couple of gravel pits they own. They had issues getting permits to haul it home when the bought it on auction, so the one son said screw it and just drove it home the125 miles. It has the full contingent of working MSHA required lights and in has words, no one bothered the rolling christmas tree and gave him plenty of room. He said it rolled right along.

DB2, DMiller and D5Dan like this.
  8. Clawed Backster

Now that's funny! And yeah, I can attest to them "rolling right along". Mine is a powershift 4F/4R, and I really don't know how fast it will go in high gear, but it is a lot faster than I would be willing to drive it.

DMiller and old-iron-habit like this.
  9. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

yes a loader in high honk will ruin you if you hit a "feature".

DMiller likes this.
  10. colson04

colson04 Senior Member

A local guy runs a custom manure application business. He bought a Case 9350 4wd and a 7500 gallon liquid tank spreader from Minnesota. He roaded that home around 700 miles. The quotes for a lowboy to haul 2 loads was around $7500. He didn't like that price and figured fuel and hotel stays would cost him just over $1000. So he drove up in a pickup with tools and a buddy, and drove the tractor and spreader home. He said it was 3 solid days of driving with minimal stops.

Locally, the custom manure haulers drive their equipment all over the state to whatever job is next. Road in, spread, head to the next farm, continue. The guy that injects our manure shows up in a 4wd tractor pulling the injector, 2 hose carts, and a pump in tow. A different tractor will show up with a lagoon pump. Then a pickup or 2 pulling the booster pumps, air compressor, etc.

DMiller and Clawed Backster like this.
  11. colson04

colson04 Senior Member

@Clawed Backster
    That is one sweet dozer. I could really see that being useful around a property, or just fun to run for the odd job here and there.

Clawed Backster and DMiller like this.
  12. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

It is a bit of a climb to set chokers, but that bugger would drag a log or 7.

DMiller likes this.
  13. Clawed Backster

Yeah, with 290hp and 63,000 pounds, about the only thing that will stop it is mud.
    That's its kryptonite.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    hosspuller and DMiller like this.
  14. sillej

sillej Active Member

Computer Geek
    Really cool rig.

DMiller likes this.
  15. Clawed Backster

Another short video of the removal of a stubborn stump. I had tried to do it with my Ford 555 backhoe, but that was one tough stump, and the backhoe didn't want any part of that action.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    skyking1 and D5Dan like this.
  16. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

the ol girl just picked it apart :)

17. Orest Anhel

Orest Anhel Well-Known Member

Was a Michigan 280 rubber tire dozer in Dease Lake for many years. Local operator approached a mining exploration project that was liquidating some equipment about purchasing an engine for one of his trucks. Engine was already sold but same powerplant was used in the dozer. Mining outfit said whats your engine budget. He said $4000.00 (earlyn80's). They said he could have the dozer. Pushed a lot of snow around Dease for many winters

bccat, 56wrench and Clawed Backster like this.
  18. Clawed Backster

Yeah, I recently saw a generator for sale for $8,500 obo that had a turbocharged V8 Detroit for an engine. It was a poor picture, and I don't know if it was a 71, or a92, but it had been a standby generator that supposedly only had 96 hours on it. I would think that the engine alone would be worth more than that.

19. colson04

colson04 Senior Member

So did the mining company pull it out of the lake to sell to the local guy, or did he put it in the lake while plowing snow?

20. Clawed Backster

I found the ad. Looks like they updated the pictures, but the ad doesn't say anything about the low hours any longer. It is an 8V92. That motor would really wake my old Michigan dozer up, and the only thing it would struggle with is traction!
    Now if I just had a spare $8,500 laying around.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/hvo/d/citrus-heights-300-kw-480v-detroit/7490270337.html