1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A/c hose restrictions

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by rmllarue91, Jul 11, 2018.

1. rmllarue91

rmllarue91 Senior Member

field technician
    Hey hef I got a redot a/c unit a134 roof mounted . I have a restriction can't find it. Have changed everything but hoses until tomorrow. Condenser evaporator expansion valve 2 driers and compressor
    75 degree air temp high side 200 low side 15 2.3lb charge what manufacturer calls for. We are putting new hoses on it tomorrow but I'm not seeing and cold or hot spots in the lines anywhere. Line coming out of expansion vavke will drop down to 55 degrees and almost 100 degrees line going into expansion valve.

2. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    So, what about your condenser? Do you have air flow across it. With a roof unit, does that mean no fan for the condenser?

3. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

Low side @ 15psi with engine idling sounds like undercharged.
    What started all the throwing parts at it?
    My experience with reddot leads me to believe that the expansion valve comes in different ratings in the same configurations. Could you have put in the wrong one? Screenshot_2018-07-11-18-31-40.png

4. funwithfuel

Mechanic
    I would have thought just the opposite . Good air across the condenser at idle we should be like 0-5psi on low and maybe 125 on the high. It sounds like overcharge to me. Maybe even inadequate vacuum prior to charging.

5. Mike L

Mike L Senior Member

field mechanic
    Have you flushed or at least blown compressed air through any of your lines.?
    At 75 degrees ambient, 200 seems high and 15 is low.

6. rmllarue91

rmllarue91 Senior Member

field technician
    I blew through whole system piece by not a single piece of debris was found at least 30 min vac down each time. First trip topped system off. Diagnosed restriction ordered expansion valve and drier... Charge system same 15 and 200 tried over charging just made difference worse. Went over system with non contact thermo couldn't find a hot spot or cold spot rolled dice on condenser internally contaminated same.... Ordered a new evaporator and another drier Same results.... Today tried swamping expansion valve from a Kenworth the customer had on shelf that is a 4.lb system. It made it worse low side is about 10 psi. Now getting new hoses made tomorrow and we put a new compressor on somewhere in between because after all this we don't want that to go bad. It's a Timco 425 feller buncher maybe the dealer sent us a wrong expansion valve? Idk but it's sure is my worst a/c job to date.

7. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

Those pressures sound normal to me at 75 degrees. You are going to need to measure temperatures more certainly before we can tell exactly what is going on. To start we need to know what the temperature of the cold liquid refrigerant leaving the TXV is and what it is coming back as vapor to the top. This will need to be done with thermocouples and insulation, a point and shoot will not be very accurate but might get somewhere. Also what is the temperature of the liquid once it leaves the condenser at 200 psi once it gets out of the area of the cooling fans.

Is the clutch cycling when you are doing all this? You should have the temperature switch bypassed on and preferably do it on a warmer day.

Is there full air flow going THROUGH the evaporator, not around it? Sticks of foam pipe insulation can help with this.

8. funwithfuel

Mechanic
    Are you charging by weight or by performance.
    I would pull some air across the condenser and check to see if your pressures drop and performance increases.
    Just got treed by BV, solid info.
    I keep asking. Is there a fan blowing or pulling air across the condenser? Is it tied into the trinary switch ?

9. funwithfuel

Mechanic
    Oh, btw what kind of expansion valve do you have? The block manifold or the one with the disc and capillary tube? If capillary style, do you have the bulb secured to the outlet tube of the evap coil and properly insulated?

10. rmllarue91

rmllarue91 Senior Member

field technician
    Twin fans moving lots of air across condenser panel I charged this both ways with a scale and by performance. With point and shoot condenser inlest 120s out about 100 line going into expansion valve 70s and 50s coming out with the tiniest amount of Frost on discharge from expansion valve.

11. rmllarue91

rmllarue91 Senior Member

field technician
    Block style expansion like ones pictured above

12. Birken Vogt

Or spray it with a garden hose, quick and easy. But at 200 psi I don't see how there is much to be gained.

Also I forgot to ask is there a sight glass to see if there is solid liquid or bubbles going to the evaporator.

Edit: I looked at the chart and 200 is too high for the condenser after all especially at 75 ambient.

Correct my understanding if wrong but you are seeing 200 condenser pressure and 100 degrees outlet that is 31 degrees of subcool, indicates overcharge but a garden hose will take care of that temporarily.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    funwithfuel likes this.
  13. funwithfuel

Mechanic
    There's no chance that the oil charge is too much , is there?
    Do the fans run continuously? Or tied through trinary switch? If they're continuous, you're losing air flow across the condenser . That pressure is too high for a cooled condenser. That and you're only shedding 20*.

14. funwithfuel

Mechanic
    I know I beat the condenser thing to death. I do that for a reason. Every challenging A/C problem I've encountered and sometimes overheating as well has been tied to poor air flow. Either dams are missing, fans bolted to hubs backwards... all kinds of crap. Once pulled a perfect blanket of cottonweed off a radiator face. Since it was between the CAC and the rad, no one saw it . I know that's not what you have, but the principle is the same.
    Place a rag in front of or behind the condenser will the fans hold the rag against the face? Do they blow through the condenser/ housing or around it. Does the air flow forcefully blow the rag away at the exit side of the condenser?
    BV was spot on with the garden hose. I completely forgot about that as an option. The liquid water on the surface of the evaporator will drop pressures like a rock. If this simple test proves out, you gotta look at airflow

15. Mobiltech

Mobiltech Senior Member

Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
    What is the temp at the line going into the evap core? Is the heater shutting off properly or adding heat to the system?

16. rmllarue91

rmllarue91 Senior Member

field technician
    Condenser has alot of air moving across it and it pushes alot of heat off it very warm air. Didn't try watering it down when I was there. Line going into expansion valve witch is mounted to evaporator is in the 70s can't get to evaporator with system operating.
    The heater hoses are shut off and there is no coolant in the lines at heater box.

17. funwithfuel

Mechanic
    Well your diagnosis is textbook correct with an obstruction based on the pressures that you have. However I still struggle with that thought process since you don't have a sudden temperature drop or a frost spot anywhere along the system. I was really hoping that we would find something with poor air flow across the condenser to drop your in your Inlet pressure that doesn't seem to be the case I am all out of ideas I apologize I could not be of more help

18. Birken Vogt

With the H-block TXV, the TXV opens and closes to maintain the superheat at whatever it is set for. Like the one in the picture is 5 degrees superheat. So if the low side pressure is 15 psi, the vaporizing liquid leaving the TXV entering the evaporator should be 15 degrees F and the vapor coming out the top of the evap, back to the TXV should be 20 degrees F.

If I understand the problem correctly, the evaporator outlet is more like 50? If this is the case the evaporator is not getting enough refrigerant and you already know to look for cold spots to find the problem.

Does it have a sight glass?

In any case I would be using thermocouples taped to the pipes and insulated from the outside air at this point. I would be measuring evaporator inlet, evaporator outlet and condenser outlet temperatures.

19. rmllarue91

rmllarue91 Senior Member

field technician
    Thanks for the help I really appreciate the descussion I'm not the most technical with a/c yet. As far thermo couplers do you mean the type to a multi meter if you can post a link or a pic I'm interested in getting some. My customer is getting a local radiator shop owner that is a Reddot dealer out next Tuesday to shed some light. I will be there sucking up whatever I can from the guy. I will report back when I know more.

20. Birken Vogt

This is what I use since I didn't buy a meter that already had the setting on it

https://www.flukeonlinestore.com/products/temperature/80tk-thermocouple-module

The trouble with measuring lines and hoses with a point and shoot is that the outside of the line will be affected by all the ambient air the engine fan is throwing around. But if you tape a thermocouple to the line in question and then insulate it with some foam rubber or even a wad of paper towel or a rag then the surface of the hose or line will quickly be the same as the fluid inside and then you can get a good idea what is going on. Good for thermostat diagnosis and air conditioning.