• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A-300 AWS 2 speed locked out

Toyman57

Occupation
Masonry Construction
I recently purchased a 2007 A-300 Bobcat. I've been spending a little time in the loader and in the owners manual learning how to operate it's many features. I have to admit it's a little intimidating learning this with joysticks as I've been operating the older designed hand & foot controlled loaders for many years. My currant issue is with the engagement of the 2 speed. It appears to be locked out as it worked for a while. I read in the manual that the low speed had to switched out and I followed these instructions but it still will not engage. I've run through the display settings to find an unknown failure notice I'd bet was connected to this issue. I also noticed in the maintenance history this had happened before and the joystick was upgraded. I'd like to think I can fix this issue without a trip to the dealer. Any help would be appreciated.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Welcome to HEF … Toyman !!!

Did by any chance you touch the "SNAIL" button on the Left Joystick ??? …. there will be a "Snail" icon in the display upper right side …… If this is activated it WILL NOT go into high range if it is engaged ….. Check it out ……. Cheers … GK

Toyman57

Occupation
Masonry Construction
I did hit this once before but was able to get it unlocked from the snail speed. Not sure what I did to make it work but I'm not able to get it unlocked now.
Welcome to HEF … Toyman !!!

Did by any chance you touch the "SNAIL" button on the Left Joystick ??? …. there will be a "Snail" icon in the display upper right side …… If this is activated it WILL NOT go into high range if it is engaged ….. Check it out ……. Cheers … GK

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
I did hit this once before but was able to get it unlocked from the snail speed. Not sure what I did to make it work but I'm not able to get it unlocked now.

There's nothing special about that Button …. One press and it's on or off ….. and in the upper display should show when it's engaged ….. You may have a Sticky button … is the Thin Protective Rubber Torn over the Switch ??? ….. check it out …..

Toyman57

Occupation
Masonry Construction
A-300 2 speed locked out

There's nothing special about that Button …. One press and it's on or off ….. and in the upper display should show when it's engaged ….. You may have a Sticky button … is the Thin Protective Rubber Torn over the Switch ??? ….. check it out …..

The rubber over the switch is fine so this is not the issue but it could be that it's stuck anyhow. I don't recall any indicator on the LED display panel on the upper right ever showing it engaged or disengaged. I'll give this a closer inspection. This tractor is pretty advanced from what this old timer is used to.

I sold my 1996 1735 Scat Trac to contractor that refuses to buy anything other than an obsolete Scat because of all the different electrical issues that pop up with modern loaders. I was more terrified of something breaking I could not replace on an old tractor that was no longer made or supported by Volvo. Other than that & being rather slow I thought it was a pretty decent loader.

Thanks for the reply.

crewchief888

you may have a speed sensor thats bad.
but you should be getting a speed sensor fault code.

later software versions disconnect and cap off the harnesses going to the sensors.
machine has to be recalibrated after the sensors are disconnected for the drive to work properly.

:drinkup

Toyman57

Occupation
Masonry Construction
you may have a speed sensor thats bad.
but you should be getting a speed sensor fault code.

later software versions disconnect and cap off the harnesses going to the sensors.
machine has to be recalibrated after the sensors are disconnected for the drive to work properly.

:drinkup

I learned today that holding the light switch on for two seconds would list any codes it may have. I got a 39-13 code but could not find a listing for this number in my service manual. The led display panel had an unknown error warning. I kept toying with the various speed control switches and the code disappeared as well as the system warning logo. Then the rabbit logo appeared with a seat belt warning next to it. The loader now has both speeds working as they should and switching in and out of 2 sp. without delay.

Now I'm noticing some chain clatter from one side in high speed. The rear tires do show a fair amount more wear than the front. Also the rear tires are not quite perfectly straight with the fronts so either of these issues could be contributing to this excessive noise. I'll dig into the manual to learn how to correct the alignment. I'll be using it more for heavy lifting causing more wear to the front tires so they are just going to have to even up on their own.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
I learned today that holding the light switch on for two seconds would list any codes it may have. I got a 39-13 code but could not find a listing for this number in my service manual. The led display panel had an unknown error warning. I kept toying with the various speed control switches and the code disappeared as well as the system warning logo. Then the rabbit logo appeared with a seat belt warning next to it. The loader now has both speeds working as they should and switching in and out of 2 sp. without delay.

Now I'm noticing some chain clatter from one side in high speed. The rear tires do show a fair amount more wear than the front. Also the rear tires are not quite perfectly straight with the fronts so either of these issues could be contributing to this excessive noise. I'll dig into the manual to learn how to correct the alignment. I'll be using it more for heavy lifting causing more wear to the front tires so they are just going to have to even up on their own.

Are you sure it said 39-13 ….. that code does not exist in the big fat shop manual ??? …… get used to the chain noise in hi-gear it's just what it is … the chains are in the centre of the machine, and they are huge 120 size, hence the noise …… your wheel alignment issue can be corrected from within the machine but you'll need a copy of the shop manual to follow thru with that procedure 1 wheel at a time …. I had that issue when my machine was brand new, that was part of the dealer/factory software re-flash we had …. since then never had that problem anymore ….. Good thing is the machine is back to normal again for you …..

Toyman57

Occupation
Masonry Construction
Are you sure it said 39-13 ….. that code does not exist in the big fat shop manual ??? …… get used to the chain noise in hi-gear it's just what it is … the chains are in the centre of the machine, and they are huge 120 size, hence the noise …… your wheel alignment issue can be corrected from within the machine but you'll need a copy of the shop manual to follow thru with that procedure 1 wheel at a time …. I had that issue when my machine was brand new, that was part of the dealer/factory software re-flash we had …. since then never had that problem anymore ….. Good thing is the machine is back to normal again for you …..

I'm pretty certain it said 39-13. I do not have a full sized shop service manual only the owner -operator/maintenance manual. It has the error codes listed in the back section. I thought it was unusual that the code numbers were many in the 38 range and lower but only a couple in 39 with nothing listed for 39-13. I really dislike issues that occur and disappear without an understanding as to why. A loss of high speed at least does not put the loader out of commission. With a little luck maybe it won't happen again. I'll put a call into the dealer to see if they have a 39-13 code listing. These fly by wire loaders like the A-300 look like they could be problematic with electrical issues popping up often. I'm pretty old school and like simplicity but I'm trying to keep up with current technology.