1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

99 john deere 450 heavy black smoke

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by jeff45, Sep 25, 2013.

1. jeff45

jeff45 Active Member

i think my excavator is getting too much fuel. when I turn up the throttle the RPMs will go all the way to where they should be but if I put a load on the machine it will blow a huge amount of black smoke out of the exhaust. I think the previous owner turned up the fuel injection pump to try to get more power out of it and is flooding the machine. Does anybody know how to adjust the pump? or what else it could be? thanks

2. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    Afew things to check BEFORE messing w/ injection pump:
    REMOVE all air filters ENTIRELY and check the smoke.
    Get someone to hold the throttle till it smokes and loosen the lines AT THE INJECTORS 1 at a time and retighten.. each time checking the smoke level at the stack..You might have a stuck open injector on 1 cylinder.
    Slobbering turbo[if equipped].. puking engine oil into motor.. remove the "boots" and look for oil.. you can also grab the nuts on the wheels and check for "side play".. DO NOT TRY THIS WHILE RUNNING THE ENGINE !!!
    If all this checks good.. I'll help you w/ the pump.. TPG

3. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

Wouldn't hurt to see what boost pressure the engine/turbo is producing.

4. fast_st

fast_st Senior Member

IT systems admin
    as Pumpguy steals all the good answers! Maybe make sure you can crack all those injector lines before you start :)

5. thepumpguysc

I hope I'm not coming off a "a know it all"?? I've just "been there and done that".. and have the t-shirt/scars to prove it.. LOL
    I hope I'm helping folks out??
    BYW fast.. LOL.. a clogged AIR SYSTEM will give the same symptoms WITH cracked injectors.. just a tip from your uncle larry.. lol

6. fast_st

fast_st Senior Member

IT systems admin
    Sometimes the BTDT folks are the quickest solution to the problem :) Before them snazzy internets you'd troubleshoot for a month and replace a bunch of parts, then you'd meet some guy at the parts counter who says, 'I had that, its the widget gasket has a crack' and sure enough...

7. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    I hope that's not one learned by mistake. Be about like reaching into a blender running on high speed.

www.willitblend.com/

8. 707

707 Well-Known Member

Heavy Duty Equipment Technician
    It could be as simple as a collapsed intake hose if everyt If you feel it being unusually soft it is a likely culprit.

9. 707

707 Well-Known Member

Heavy Duty Equipment Technician
    if everything else checks out*

10. jeff45

jeff45 Active Member

Hey guys thanks for the responses, I finally got some time to look at the machine and everything you have mentioned seems to be ok.

11. thepumpguysc

get some #'s off the name plate on the inj. pump and maybe I can walk you thru turning it down... Think it should start w/ JDB-****
    I thought for sure it would be a worn out turbo, slobbering oil..