1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

983 track adjuster fix

Discussion in 'Old Iron!' started by dieseldave, Feb 11, 2011.

1. dieseldave

dieseldave Senior Member

I have to replace the track adjuster seal on my Cat 983. Not a fun job- I did the opposite side a few years ago, it involves splitting the track and pulling the idler out. Not fun, and on this old machine it's going to entail the certainty of breaking off large grade 8 bolts and drilling and retapping, etc... So, I'm looking for a shortcut. The machine is only occasional use, maybe a few times a year if that so it doesn't have to be perfect. My first thought was to cut a chunk of metal and install between the two red lines in the first pic. This would substitute for the grease cylinder and would still allow the recoil spring to function. A second less desireable choice would be to put a piece of heavy angle steel where the yellow box is in the third pic, which would work but eliminates the recoil spring. A third option is to cut a section out of the rod, between the blue lines in the second pic, giving enough room to get the offending cylinder out so that a new seal can be installed. The rod could then be welded back together. Or, of course I could split the track, pull the idler and fix it according to the Cat book, but that's no joke on something this size. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Komatsu 150

Komatsu 150 Senior Member

Whatever you do, don't eliminate the recoil spring action or you will be bending and breaking idler shafts or other assorted parts. Best not ask how I know this.

3. dieseldave

dieseldave Senior Member

Whenever I had to do a quick fix on a broken adjuster I would try to put something in there that wasn't overkill on strength to provide a sort of safety valve. Piece of pipe or something that would hopefully give before major components LOL

4. russ61

russ61 Member

screw machine shop supervisor
    On my 955H when it blew I used aluminum bar stock .Cut to length and wired about 6 around the chrome shaft to keeep it extended.Don't use steel as I'm afraid it would rust and possibly damage the chrome .It let me finish what I need done and fixed it proper when time alowed.
    Russ

5. jimrr

jimrr Well-Known Member

marine engineer/ at sea
    Soak it in Kroil for a week, pull the pin------ ! the rest will be automatic as you'll be 'obligated' to finish it right!

6. CSaley

CSaley Active Member

good luck

7. dieseldave

dieseldave Senior Member

Well, I finally decided to torch the rod apart and take it out that way. Glad I did, ended up being pretty simple and far easier than removing the track and idler.

Attached Files:

8. dieseldave

dieseldave Senior Member

Here are the old and new seals on the bench. I have video of the whole "procedure", hope to have a vid on youtube soon.

Attached Files:

9. willie59

willie59 Administrator

Service Manager
    Nice job dave.

I don't think I've ever seen a Lincoln welder quite like that one.

10. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Dang, I thought I had an old portable lincoln!