• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

977L track loader late 70s

Badger 123

3306 engine low power and lots of blue smoke, over heats unless at very low rpm. Can the engine be overhauled in frame or does have to be completely removed to rebuild ?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Thanks for the replies ! I am a little confused about the boom and bucket if I am not pulling the engine completely out ?
In simple terms you need the loader arms raised up to the stops in order to get sufficient access to work on the top side of the engine. You cannot do engine work with the arms/bucket on the ground.

Last edited:

Badger 123

Great,thank you So I should be able to drop the skid plates and pull the top panels off to replace pistons , liners and bearings ? Sorry for asking the same question again but just want to be sure before starting the job. I know a little about engines, like in framing in a truck but never worked on a 977L. Thanks again for any input

Dave Neubert

If you have never rebuilt a engine at least get a shop manual rods go a certain way pistons go a certain way need to check counter bores and lower bores for erosion need to check counter bore depth and make sure counter bore is perfectly clean make sure O rings on liners are not twisted and don't use oil or grease to lube liner O rings use liquid soap