• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

977L Metal in torque converter sump

Jshaner

Hello,
I've got a 977L s/n 11K7726 that I just acquired. I drained the transmission fluid and found some mystery metal in the bottom of the torque converter housing and was hoping someone on here might recognize where it has come from. I've attached a picture of what I found.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20231223_232458.jpg
    20231223_232458.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 43

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
We need some idea of component sizes, with a photo placing a tape alongside the pieces. I was presuming they were much larger than starter motor parts, because there was no size indication in the photo.

But if the parts are smaller than I first thought, then yes, it is very likely the bottom parts are a starter pinion that has shattered, and the bushing at top could be the remains of a starter nose bronze bushing.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I’m voting for starter drive gear and nose bearing from a previous starter failure. Not too concerning.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Thanks for the size reference, that's excellent. Sure looks like broken starter pinion teeth, and bronze starter nose bushing, from the measurements.

Jshaner

I sure hope you all are right that it's the remains of an old starter. This loader has been repainted with not a ton of hours of runtime but lots of sitting since,judging by how little paint is worn off, yet the starter is black. So hopefully that adds a little more credibility to the theory. I appreciate everyone's input.
Merry Christmas

Attachments

• Snapchat-1559365629.jpg
    Snapchat-1559365629.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Check your transmission magnetic screen and filter for debris, they generally reveal a lot more about transmission and TC condition than anything else.
Here's wishing you a Merry Christmas with no more transmission debris frights!

56wrench

After the starter drive grenaded, i wonder how the flywheel ring gear is? It would be worth checking if you remove the starter and bar the engine over to check the entire circumference