• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

977H won't turn over. Help me please.

Goodyank

My brother and I got a 977H awhile back. He used it around his house for a few months while we got the money together to move it to our property in upstate NY. Once we got her there he ran it for a day. The next morning we went into town for breakfast and picked up a new fuel filter and some hydraulic fluid. We changed the filter and topped off the hydraulic fluid and got ready to get busy. He started her up and let her idle for a couple of minutes when he thought he heard a noise so he shut her down. The engine shut down like normal. I was standing on the ground next to the machine when he thought he heard a noise and didn't hear anything. When he tried to start her back up she wouldn't turn over. The fan moves a bit so we know the starter works. There is plenty of juice in the batteries. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's hard for us to work on because it's over an hour drive for me and over two and a half hours for him. We pulled the oil filter and had it checked by the heavy equipment mechanic where he works and he said there was no metal in the filter. The serial number is 53A5931 series H.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
When you say "The fan moves a bit so we know the starter works." what exactly does "a bit" mean?

Does it just jump and then stop? Or are you saying it goes around a few turns and stops?

Either way About the first thing I would be doing is to try to find a way to put a wrench on the front of the engine and turn it over by hand.

Not familiar with the starter access of a 977 but if turning by a wrench is not possible maybe remove starter and use a pry bar on the ring gear teeth to move the flywheel, it will be slow but I feel you need to be sure there isn't some mechanical failure causing engine not to turn before going any further.

You mention this machine is in "upstate NY" where exactly might that be? To some people upstate means five miles past the last subway station in NYC and others would think if you can't see the Canadian border your're not really "upstate"!

AllDodge

When he tried to start her back up she wouldn't turn over. The fan moves a bit so we know the starter works..

Does the fan move a bit every time the starter is engaged and does it move further, or just move and come back to original position?

Goodyank

Thanks everyone. The fan just "bumps" and returns to it's last position. We did prime the fuel system and it was running. The machine is located in Seward NY at the bottom of a half mile driveway. We do plan on pulling the starter and trying to get a bar on the flywheel. To be honest I was hoping for a "yeah they do that once in awhile, just do blah blah blah." Never know the tricks unless you ask.

Goodyank

That is a possibility. I've heard that there is a compression release. Is it on all of them and where is it located?

AllDodge

You do bring up a good point. If the compression release is not working, there may be to much compression for the starter, don't know never started up a 977. My 955 doesn't use one. Note the handle to the right of the seat, mine doesn't have one, so this may be it

977 lever1.jpg

Goodyank

She started up no problem until my brother shut her down after he thought he heard a noise. I never heard the noise and I was standing right next to the engine. It idled down to a stop just like it should but wouldn't turn over when he tried to start it again.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Also check the simple things.... battery connections... tight clean etc...,starter connections... same, put a volt meter on the battery posts when you try to crank it next time to see how far the voltage drops. And if possible take videos of the issues you are having as experienced techs can identify the problem in seconds :)

Delmer

I wouldn't use the compression release to try to start it until you know it will turn over, you could damage it. You can use the compression release to try to make it easier to turn over by hand. Usually a worn engine will turn with just the fan and belt, only a tiny bit and then the compression builds, but wait several seconds and it will turn another tiny bit. If you get to a spot where it won't turn at all, by hand on the fan and belt, or by prying the ring gear, then you have a problem. Have you checked the oil and coolant levels? Are the hydraulic controls in "neutral"? Does the alternator/water pump pulleys turn when you turn the engine, or are they stuck? Transmission oil?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Another thing you might try would be to pull the fuel nozzles out and crank it over and see if any thing comes out the holes they go in.

Should not be a hard job on that machine.

Oh! And yes I would consider Seward up state, south of 20 but close enough!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
If he thought he heard a noise he probably did. Did it sound to him like a bearing that's squeals as it seizes or more of a thunk or clatter. Common denominator was adding hydraulic oil and fuel filter. Was it way low on hydraulic oil when you added. Wondering if the hydraulic pump was having an issue and was in sieze mode before you added hydraulic oil.

bunkclimber

the noise you heard might just be a hydraulic burp coming from the hyd tank after you added the oil,entrained air just making its way out(thats also part of why the tank is there)..but if you are suspect then bar it over,JUST DONT DO IT IF THE ENGINE IS HOT..diesels start real easy when hot and barring it with your hands and wrench in the fan would not be good for you,even the socket wrench flying out if she starts can injure or maim you.The little handle next to the gearshift is the throttle,but sure is forward,or off.You have an older 977,so double check its not throttle linkaged backwards or something wrong.Turn it over by hand real slow,you should be able to turn it a bit at a time,but when in doubt pull the nozzles like kshansen noted and see if she is free.Always store it with a 5gal bucket over the exhaust so she doesnt get water down the stack.-Mine stays inside(barn Cat)
best of luck.