• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

972k blown EGR

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
972k s/n 0972KHZ4W00657 last monday plastic coolant tank sprung a leak in the top got it replaced found a recall had to wait two days on it from cat. we replaced filled with coolant cranked engine started leaking fluid at exhaust manifold joint's and smoking. called cat sent parts replacer out he said it was bad turbo we ? him he started arguing with us and I explained to to him that he had already screwed up my transmission two years ago because he did not care so I sent him packing. Got another cat mechanic (this one has a brain) as soon as he got out of the truck he knows what the problem is (not turbo) blown EGR cooler said that any time you have a blown hose or low water when you fill it back up that there is a procedure to get the air out of the EGR even with the small hose coming out the top going into the top of the coolant tank is this correct there was not any warning paper's or installation instruction's in the box with tank . dealer did not have EGR parts still waiting tomorrow will be a week down 9,200hrs less than 3 year's old

VKSheridan

The EGR cooler MUST be submersed in coolant at all times hot exhaust is passing through it. If not, it will indeed develop a thermal crack and leak. Think of spitting on a hot plate to envision what happens when just a corner of the cooler is exposed to air. Failure to purge the air from any EGR equipped system can create a condition for thermal cracks to occur. Some engines are equipped with an EGR purge line that vents a portion of coolant out of the housing for self-purge but some do not. Even with a purge line, it's always good to manually bleed the air to be certain as that line can sometimes get obstructed with debris. An ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure. Cheers.

clintm

Occupation
it does have a vent hose that comes from the top of the transmission heat exchanger to a T on top of the EGR to the top of the coolant tank it's uphill all the way. I understand what happen. just wondering if any body else has seen this problem or has seen any paper work on it.

lantraxco

Is this possibly a chicken and egg deal, how would a leak in the coolant tank drain the EGR cooler if the cooler is lower than the tank? Thinking perhaps the EGR cooler had a crack and exhaust pressure pushed the coolant out to start with, or am I way off base?

VKSheridan

No sir, you are not off base at all. In absence of any denied submersion, a manufacturing defect could exist where a cooler core might not have got the right crimp or attachment to the header. A failure analysis *might* be able to determine if the failure is a cause or consequence by studying the fracture face. The most common root cause is thermal fracturing but that is not to say that is the sole root cause. Cheers!

clintm

Occupation
I also wondered the chicken or egg too. The tank has had for a while on the top of it pitting in the plastic like it's rusted (but it's plastic).I wasn't at the machine when the operator came up so I don't know if it was steaming out of the exhaust or not. The operator had an overheat warning buzzer. The next question is did it damage or stop up the dpf filter it was just changed 900hr's ago the cat mechanic said as soon as he cranked it he will do a forced regen.:Banghead

VKSheridan

It really does depend how much coolant the DPF had to digest. A regen will try to burn out the ash but that only works if the heat can flow through the porous ceramics. If it's coated, the heat will pretty much only carbonize it and create a condition known as "face plugging"..... Definately worth trying to clear it. How low was the coolant when you found it? Like you, I doubt much went out the recovery bottle... :(

clintm

Occupation
I think we put about 3 gals in it I will have to ask my mechanic. It's still under warranty for another 800 hr's so I want to make sure it's fixed correct this time.

clintm

Occupation
called field service this morning did not return my call until 5:00 pm said same mechanic should be here by lunch time tomorrow with part's.(ONLY 4 MILES TO DEALERSHIP straight up the road can almost see it from top of my pile). buy a cat they said great parts and service:thumbsup

clintm

Occupation
They got it back up and running on wed the 2nd about lunch time. The charge air tube had water in it also.