• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955L questions before i buy

cg3p0

Im thinking of pulling the trigger on an old 955l for use around the farm. The machine im looking at has had the same owner since 2002 and he kept it in a barn and kept up on the maintenance and has the manual. He put about 700 hours on it. Before he bought it it had new undercarrage and final drives done, so that is all good.

The main issue is he thinks it needs new steering clutches, i dont think it does from his discription though. It has power just fine to the tracks, it just wont turn right. He says when you dig the bucket in and throttle up both tracks spin. Im thinking its just a brake or brake linkage problem. He already tried adjusting the brake but that didnt fix it.

Another issue is that he says it goes through a quart or so of oil if used for 8 hours. It doesnt burn black smoke out the exaust though. Possible leak or slowly burning it? Is some oil consumption ok? Not sure the hours on the motor, he said the meter was broke.

Price is $10,000

cg3p0

Any advice or thoughts on this machine?

Attachments

• cat1.jpg
    cat1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 134
  • cat4.jpg
    cat4.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 135
  • cat2.jpg
    cat2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 130
  • cat3.jpg
    cat3.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 129

showrguy

Im thinking of pulling the trigger on an old 955l for use around the farm. The machine im looking at has had the same owner since 2002 and he kept it in a barn and kept up on the maintenance and has the manual. He put about 700 hours on it. Before he bought it it had new undercarrage and final drives done, so that is all good.

The main issue is he thinks it needs new steering clutches, i dont think it does from his discription though. It has power just fine to the tracks, it just wont turn right. He says when you dig the bucket in and throttle up both tracks spin. Im thinking its just a brake or brake linkage problem. He already tried adjusting the brake but that didnt fix it.

Another issue is that he says it goes through a quart or so of oil if used for 8 hours. It doesnt burn black smoke out the exaust though. Possible leak or slowly burning it? Is some oil consumption ok? Not sure the hours on the motor, he said the meter was broke.

Price is $10,000
You have a farm on Mars ?? Interesting...

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The steering problem might be either the clutch or the brake on that side. To turn requires releasing the clutch and then applying the brake. either one doesn't work right and the tractor wont turn.
To fix either one shouldn't be too difficult provided you're handy with tools and have a Service Manual.

cg3p0

Thanks Nige, i was thinking that if the clutch wasnt releasing then the machine wouldnt stop at all and always be stuck in gear on that side when the pedal was pressed. Im a newbie at this stuff so i will take your word for it. So if its a stuck clutch does that mean that the clutch plates would still be good, but something is wrong with the releasing mechanism? I am handy at fixing things and like learning how things work. You are giving me more confidence to work on it.

cg3p0

Well i bought the cat! Looks in great shape compared to the other ones i looked at. Got some time on the seat today to check out the steering issue. I think your right Nige about it being the clutch too. When i hit the center brake it just keeps going. Left pedal feels ok and turns machine left ok. Right pedal feels soft and seems to go down farther than the left side, no turn. Im thinking i will start by checking that filter screen thing to see if maybe im just not getting oil pressure to the right clutch cylinder. Thinking there may be some brake issue as well since the pedal goes down further than the other side. Have to wait till i get it moved here to start digging into it. Unfortunatly it doesnt come with the service manual, i think its just a maintenance manual so hopefully you guys can help me out if i need it. The main loader lift cylinder on the left side needs to be rebuilt, leaking pretty good. That is one big cylinder, be fun to work on. Ill get some pics up when i get working on it.

cg3p0

you mean that i got to get the book from service manual pro? Of course its the most expensive one. Would have thought the cd and the book would be the exact same thing just in different formats.

Nige

You misunderstood me. The first link you posted from eBay was a non-genuine paper Manual.

Either the 2nd link you posted from eBay (book) or the CD from SMP would be genuine. Take your pick whichever format you prefer.

The SMP CD might be a more recent version of the manual containing later updates than a book from eBay that was printed who knows when, but that’s not guaranteed.

cg3p0

Service manual came in the mail today. Here is what it says about my steering issue.

catsteerproblem.jpg

Nige

Just remember the Service Manual doesn't necessarily cover ALL the possibilities. What about: -
1. Wear in steering control linkage joints..?
2. Lack of lubrication in steering linkage..?
Those are jiust two I can think of off the top of my head.
First step IMHO. Pull up floor plates, lubricate steering linkage and inspect for worn parts. Try adjusting the linkage according to the setting recommended in the manual. The procedure is right below where you took that snip from the troubleshooting guide. See where that gets you.

upload_2019-6-20_9-17-39.png

oldgold69

just did that to 951 take the floor off look to see if the #5 lever is rusted stuck the brake pedal is on the same shaft mine were stuck sprayed up and worked back and forth till they freed up the brake linkage but the I had to put a pry bar over the pedal and under the brake lever ounce freed up take the plate off the steering housing and tighten the brake adjuster till their 3 inches of pedal play

oldgold69

955 s have little bigger radiator than my 951 I have to make sure the radiator is clear or it will run hot look inside by the fan side make sure not caked with dirt