• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955k won't move

Pete1468

I was using my 955 k today and a puff of smoke came out the fan and it quite moving. It's 102 out today and it was way too hot out to start investigating. If you speed the motor up past idle you can hear a squealing noise and smell of burning rubber. Looks like the fan and water pump belts are on and ok but it's too hot to look any farther. Anyone have any ideas?

Cmark

Your drive coupling rubbers have let go. Item3. Don't just replace them. Check the alignment as well. Look for collapsed engine mounts.

drive.jpg

Reactions: DB2

Bluox

I was using my 955 k today and a puff of smoke came out the fan and it quite moving. It's 102 out today and it was way too hot out to start investigating. If you speed the motor up past idle you can hear a squealing noise and smell of burning rubber. Looks like the fan and water pump belts are on and ok but it's too hot to look any farther. Anyone have any ideas?
If the fan quit moving check the fan hub bearings ,if the tractor quit moving check drive plate bushings..
Bob

Cmark

Good point. Fan quit moving or machine quit moving? Ambiguity in the question.

grandpa

They are easy to replace, but like Cmark stated, check the engine alignment. Those pucks usually last a long long time. All though its been a long long time since they made the K.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Here are the Specifications & the Disassembly/Assembly Instructions.

As CMark said above the first thing you need to be checking before starting work on the coupling is that the front & rear engine mounts are all in good order. Replace those mounts as necessary depending on condition before starting the coupling alignment process.

Attachments

• Specifications.pdf
    128 KB · Views: 22
  • Disassembly & Assembly.pdf
    158.7 KB · Views: 17

Pete1468

Alright, looked quick tonight and rubber pucks are ripped apart. Is there a plate underneath you take off to get at it easily? The loader is down so iI can't reach through there.

Pete1468

Took it apart tonight, it's miss aligned. The pucks are tight on the top and loose by a 1/4 of an inch on the bottom. Is there shims on the motor mounts? I think I'll have to start it to raise and lock the arms up so I can inspect the front easier.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
For machine S/N 61H463 there are shims available for the rear. Part Numbers are 6K-7195 (0.032") & 6K-7194 (0.064"). See ref 28 & 29 on the illustration.
If you read the measurement & adjustment procedure I posted above it's important to make sure that the front motor mounts are not in problems before you start changing the shimming on the rear.

upload_2018-6-28_18-10-49.png

Pete1468

The rear of the motor needs to go up. There's just 2hard steel washers in there at the rear. I'm going to try and find something to go in there. Both the rear mount bolts were loose so if something else was in there it feel out.

Dave Neubert

When you replace the drive biscuits leave all the bolts loose until you get all of them mounted it makes for easier installation