• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955K shifter linkage questions

houser

My track numbers are 3P7154 on the right side and 3p7153 on the left. My serial number is 85J29xx. Is there any way to tell from these numbers any information about the tracks? I'll also need to find the sprocket teeth numbers. My book only provides the sprocket group for 85J1-85J1162. The segment list for these S/Ns are 6k1430. Does anyone know if they will fit?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
3P7153 & 3P7154 are the part numbers listed for your machine 85J29xx.
The tracks on your machine are not loader tracks for the simple reason that they have a single grouser setup that would be used on a dozer. The only grouser options listed for a 955K in your S/N range are a triple grouser and a flat shoe. That does not mean you can't use them though, just saying that the shoes were never really designed to use on a loader.
In the latest Parts Manuals the first group of 85J machine goes from 85J1-4671. Your machine falls into that group.

Regarding the sprockets. Does your machine have a total of 8 segments installed..? Of these segments, 5 will have 4 bolts fixing them to the hub, and 3 will have 3 bolts.

AllDodge

I don't remember your serial number, how about putting your serial number in your sig to make it easier to look up parts.

AllDodge

That's the point, we can all go back and search, but it sure would be nice if we all didn't have to do that.

Mine are there all the time, but if someone didn't want to leave it there, it could be added for a big project, then removed later. Removing later will clear it over all previous post

houser

Good Idea AllDodge. I tried to put it in, let's see if it works.

Nigel - thanks for the reply. Yes, it has 8 segments 4-4 bolt and 4-3 bolt.

Nige

6K1430 contains 8 segments; 5 x 4-bolt and 3 x 3-bolt. It is the correct part for a machine S/N 85J29xx. If you get round to replacing the sprocket segments I suggest that you pay close attention to inspect if any of them show any signs of having been loose. If that is the case the bolt holes in the rim will likely be wallowed oval and even with new bolts correctly tightened there is a good chance that the replacement segments might also tend to move which is not good. Come back and post again if you find that your segments have been moving before installing the replacements.

Back to your track shoes. You have to be aware that dozer tracks are designed for traction and for pushing loads in a straight line, that's why they have tall single grousers. Usually when a dozer turns it's with the blade in the air, not like a loader that often turns with a loaded bucket in the air. The high dozer grousers will put stresses on all the undercarriage components - idlers, track rollers, carrier rollers, and sprockets. I'm not saying you shouldn't use those dozer tracks, just that you have to be aware of their downside when used on a track loader.

AllDodge

Got my shoes and segments from CAT but they were aftermarket from Korea. They were the best price because of free shipment. Where I went wrong was taking almost a year before installing. During install found out I was missing 3 segments, so guess my good deal was not such a good one. Had to buy CAT replacements because the aftermarket only sold in sets

houser

Thanks for the replies All Dodge and Nigel. I'm waiting on a cost estimate from Rodney at OffRoad. I'm only using this on my farm so it won't get a lot of heavy use other than pushing trees around and maybe some road building. I will watch the turning while loaded. :)

Bluox

Thanks for the replies All Dodge and Nigel. I'm waiting on a cost estimate from Rodney at OffRoad. I'm only using this on my farm so it won't get a lot of heavy use other than pushing trees around and maybe some road building. I will watch the turning while loaded. :)
Your tracks chain are for loaders just the pads aren't and you can't put the pads on backwards .You may want to call your Cat dealer and talk to the PSSR guy , they will usually look at your tractor and give you some real advice about your wreck ,most have 3 lines of undercarriage with different prices.
Just looking at your picture you have roller bolts missing, one has the bearing out ,your idler is tipped wrong wear plates missing ,push rod bent and welded off center on yoke ,adjuster missing bolts ,Top roller wore out and who knows what the bottom rollers look like .
Good luck
Bob

houser

Thanks for the feedback Bluox. As I stated in an earlier post, this is my first cat so am pretty much a virgin here! Yes, I believe she has been used a lot and probably abused a bit as well since I believe she was used in a land fill for a while. Maybe they put dozer tracks on her instead of loader tracks? Is it possible to put the entire track on backwards? I picked her up cheap. So far I have rebuilt the shift linkage, corrected some hydraulic lines under neath, picked up a belly pan and the spring guards from a bone yard and had the local hydraulic shop repack the tilt cylinders. The lift cylinders show a little leakage but not enough to worry about for now. Total investments so far are a little over $1000. She fires up and runs good. I've done a little work with it, just to check it out and then parked it for the past 2 years given the spring problems. I'm looking to get it in good enough shape to use (safely). I don't plan on a lot of heavy use but sometimes need a big machine. I appreciate all feedback everyone has been providing. I am no foreigner to turning a wrench, just have never worked on one of these before.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Just on the offhand there is more lurking in those truck frames, you may want to pull them COMPLETELY off after cutting away those recoil springs. Finding out you have to after starting back on with other parts will just extend the grief. Rails split, idlers off, get all the tractor frame blocked on heavy cribbing then one side at a time disassemble the frames and remove from the tractor. I would be looking real close as to bottom rollers, possible broken bolts on frames mounting and so on then reverse the rails as you go back together. There is always a reason these machines become cheap to buy.

As to the Dozer shoes, the undercarriage will take some abuse, using it as a loader and swinging a loaded bucket either to a truck or spoil pile will be hard on everything on the bottom when doing that. That is why the suggestion to inspect it all NOW as the rails need to come off anyway.

houser

DMiller, thanks for the help. I plan on taking the tracks completely off and reverse the tracks before I put new coils on. Once I get the tracks off, what do I look for to tell what is worn out? I will take pics and post for everyone,.

Nige

As suggested above. Call your local Cat dealer and ask for the Undercarriage PSSR guy. Usually (at least if you give them the impression that there is a parts order in it for them) the dealer will offer a free undercarriage measurement service and a written report. Ask about any costs involved for the inspection/report with the dealer before you commit to having the site visit by the rep.

That report should form the basis of your plan going forward regarding what you need, or can afford, to do to the undercarriage.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
As you do not know what to look for follow Nige's advice, better to have a guy or gal that does it day in and out look to validate what is shot what is useable and what should be disassembled to inspect properly.

houser

Hey you guys, I am wondering how much this thing is worth. I used it over the weekend to move some trees about. I had to add some hydraulic oil but it only turned over 5 or 6 times and pureed like a kitten. I have figured out that I will get more use out of a bobcat so I am looking to sell or trade this 955. Any advice?

houser

So far, I have had the tilt cylinders re- packed, rebuilt the shift linkage, changed the hydraulic oil and filters, and was getting ready to do the springs and stops as I have been posting.

houser

Hey everyone, I am once again working on my 955K. I ordered all the parts from Offroad Equipment to fix the recoils. I also ordered new sprocket segments for both sides. First, I will be rebuilding the lift cylinders. Both are leaking and one is really leaking. Here are some pics as I start the cylinder stem removal
Can anyone tell me anything to watch for on these lift cylinder stem removal.
Nigel- thanks for the sprocket segment numbers. Evidently someone put newer rear hubs on this 966K!