• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955K shifter linkage questions

houser

Hey everyone. I got out today and started her up! I bled the hydraulics and all the lines and rebuilt cylinders worked perfect! In a couple of days the ground will be dry enough to take her for a spin and see if my work on the shifting linkage and new transmission filter and fluid helps with the shifting to 2nd and 3rd! Cheers!

houser

Okay everyone, I waited long enough and between showers, I started her up and drove down the drive. I have 1st and 2nd but no 3rd, either forward or reverse. It seems like I have to rev it up for reverse in 2nd. When I put it in 3rd it is like going into neutral. I feel it "click" like it goes into gear, but it is just like shfiting into neutral. Other than that, it appears ready to go. Any ideas on 3rd?:confused:

Bob/Ont

In two positions I can't remember what ones Think first gear not sure for or rev the two spools have a shoulder that will line up flush with a machined surface of the valve body. You will know when you are in there and shift the gears.
Later Bob

houser

Hey everyone, I don't know if I should start a new thread or not, but I guess I've seasoned working the tracks over long enough. I did not think it had been 3 years! I plan on ordering new springs, bolts, stops, ... Per the other threads, I plan on cutting the springs after wrapping chains around them. Is there a way I can tell if the pilot needs replaced? Trying to figure out what to pore-buy ahead of tearing it down.

AllDodge

I replaced my springs but didn't chain them. Cut them in place and all was good without issues. Did cut mine more then needed, but I din't want any chance of tension remaining

photo793-jpg.143596

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...sprocket-springs-and-other-stuff.55139/page-3

houser

Here is a thread of when I did a replacement of the recoil springs, fixed up the pilot & rebult the adjuster on my old 941 loader. If I remember correctly, I think the hyd adjuster has the same parts on the 941 & 955. Spring will be different though.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/941-spring-track-recoil-spring-install.60148/
Thanks Metalman. I'll take a look at your post . I have priced all the a fairly comprehensive parts list at Offroad but don't want to purchase more than I need to,

houser

I replaced my springs but didn't chain them. Cut them in place and all was good without issues. Did cut mine more then needed, but I din't want any chance of tension remaining

photo793-jpg.143596

Thanks Alldodge, Great pic! I have at least 2 coils that are broke and I actually found a 4" piece on the ground after the last time I moved it! I will probably go ahead and chain them because one is bowed up as you can see in my pic earlier in this thread and don't want any unexpected issues to deal with. I priced a bunch of the parts from Offroad but they did not have the main bolt and nuts that hold the recoil spring. I'll check again before I make the purchase. The pilots were $86 each but do not know how to tell how worn they are or whether or not I actually need new ones. I appreciate any advice for what to look for. Thanks again for replying. It's been a while since I posted here. :)
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...sprocket-springs-and-other-stuff.55139/page-3

houser

20180504_094634.jpg 20180504_094628.jpg 20180504_094620.jpg 20180504_094611.jpg Here are some new pics. The left track recoil bolt appears to have a little slack at the back. The stops will clearly have to be replaced. I will rework the adjusters as well.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
That left recoil bolt is so corroded as to be dangerous. Cut the spring coils with an oxy-acetylene torch to remove them. Judging by the condition of the components in the photos you're going to be in for much more than just springs IMHO. The stops have most likely been damaged by material build-up under the springs forcing them upwards into the curve you see in the photos. Having no guards over the top of the springs that to a great extent prevents material getting under the springs is a reason why that could have happened.

Also, your left track is on backwards ........ the grouser on the track shoes should be at the front. The rubbing action of the track chain bushes against the sprocket is probably what's worn the teeth down. Effectively when you drive forward that LH track is running on the sprocket like it would do in reverse if it was installed the correct way round.

Bluox

The reason that spring is humped up is it is already broke and the sprocket teeth are worn because someone put a new track backwards on a wore out undercarriage .
Bob

houser

Thanks everyone. I believe it was Bob that previously pointed out the old girls' shoes are on backwards (yes, both sides)! When I get the springs cut, I plan on reversing the tracks. Yes they are SALT tracks, I don't recall who on this site told me that, but I do have the alligator-style master links so hopefully it will be easier to remove them. Here is a list of the pieces that I believe I will need to purchase: Recoil springs (5k6262), Recoil BOlt (S1595), recoil nut (1B4210), Pilot (5K3733), Stop (1m5391 and 1m5392), dowel (9h4105), and the rebuild kits for the adjusters. I have not yet found part numbers for the slides. Anyone know what page they might be on in the parts manual? I also need the bolts for the under-belly plate (the big one). My 955 did not have one but I purchased a used one from the bone yard but did not get the bolts.